Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

Guest toonlass

Still can't believe that the police have okayed this to go ahead at 8pm on a Monday  :laugh2:

harper

beye

collo

bassong

duff

smith

butt

jonas

viduka

owen

martins

pretty convinced that will be his team.

I agree. Would have Guthrie in there myself though, probably for Smudger. Other than that I reckon it's probably our best bet.

Guest ObaStar

Hopefully Shearer has the strikers practising striking the ball at goal from every conceivable angle during training this week.

I can see us creating a few chances, but I can't see us scoring at the moment.

Boro think it's a massive derby game and will be really fired up for the game, if we score early they'll collapse, the longer we go without scoring the more I can see someone like Downing scoring from a 40-yard free kick.

so you are saying if we score we could win... however if they score, then they might win?

If we score an early goal and keep the pressure on them their defence will be twitching like Harry Redknapps face.

[move] :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry: :harry:[/move]

Hopefully Shearer has the strikers practising striking the ball at goal from every conceivable angle during training this week.

Boro think it's a massive derby game and will be really fired up for the game, if we score early they'll collapse, the longer we go without scoring the more I can see someone like Downing scoring from a 40-yard free kick.

so you are saying if we score we could win... however if they score, then they might win?

Or the Mickey Quinn approach - If you score a couple and don't concede you have a chance

It's on Setanta a game of football so no hope of a win!

Fucking curse that channel sport is

fyp

Aye exactly! We've won SIX games all season. Less than anyone else!

We're just shit, and it isn't the fault of Setanta!

Nearly.  If we score early they'll collapse.

If we struggle to create chances and score again like we did against Portsmouth then Boro will probably win, scoring from a dodgy free kick in the 80th minute.

Southgate on smack?

Boro Boss Wary Of Gallowgate Roar

By Craig Hope

MIDDLESBROUGH boss Gareth Southgate has warned his players that they will have to deal with the atmosphere inside St.James' Park if they are to get anything out of Monday night's basement battle.

The Geordie faithful responded to the rallying call from gaffer Alan Shearer prior to last week's home match with Portsmouth and sent an electrifying roar of support around Gallowgate on kick-off.

It promises to be another emotionally-charged night when North East rivals Boro come to Barrack Road for what is a must-win match for both sides.

And Teesside chief Southgate knows that the black-and-white backing will make it difficult for his young team.

"It will be a night where boys grow into men," he said.

"We have to go to Newcastle and deal with the atmosphere.

"We are going to learn a lot about the players we have. We have to do the simple things well.

"The likes of Tuncay, Stewart Downing and Robert Huth have played in World Cup final tournaments, so they've experienced big matches

"The players have grafted and grafted and have never stopped giving everything they have, but we could do with producing some quality alongside the hard work.

"We have to have the class to take the chances that come our way.

"We've got nothing to lose now. We've got to try and give our supporters some pride. It's about what we do over the next three games now."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1648991,00.html

-----------------Harper-----------------

Beye---Bassong---Colocinni---Duff

Guthrie---Smith-----Butt------Jonas

--------Owen--------Viduka----------

Shearer has said Taylor could be back.

---------------------Harper-------------

S.Taylor-----Beye-------Bassong----Duff

----------Guthrie--Smith---Jonas--------

--------------------Owen-----------------

------------Viduka-------Martins------

Can't believe im saying start Smith. Desperate times.

I saw a bit of boro's game with manure at the weekend, one player that has me a little worried is surprisingly Alves. I know he's been a bit of a disaster for them but when he came on, he seemed to cause problems for the Manure defence, he is just the sort of player that we are adept at letting score against us.

Southgate is also talking a good game, obviously that means nothing as I'm sure he's been doing that all season but their results have been pathetic. I'm more worried about this one than I was a few weeks back. Our midfield needs to create and our strikers need to finish. An early goal for us would calm all the nerves and I'm sure we would go on and win it, as boro's confidence is just as fragile as ours.

Southgate on smack?

Boro Boss Wary Of Gallowgate Roar

By Craig Hope

MIDDLESBROUGH boss Gareth Southgate has warned his players that they will have to deal with the atmosphere inside St.James' Park if they are to get anything out of Monday night's basement battle.

The Geordie faithful responded to the rallying call from gaffer Alan Shearer prior to last week's home match with Portsmouth and sent an electrifying roar of support around Gallowgate on kick-off.

It promises to be another emotionally-charged night when North East rivals Boro come to Barrack Road for what is a must-win match for both sides.

And Teesside chief Southgate knows that the black-and-white backing will make it difficult for his young team.

"It will be a night where boys grow into men," he said.

"We have to go to Newcastle and deal with the atmosphere.

"We are going to learn a lot about the players we have. We have to do the simple things well.

"The likes of Tuncay, Stewart Downing and Robert Huth have played in World Cup final tournaments, so they've experienced big matches

"The players have grafted and grafted and have never stopped giving everything they have, but we could do with producing some quality alongside the hard work.

"We have to have the class to take the chances that come our way.

"We've got nothing to lose now. We've got to try and give our supporters some pride. It's about what we do over the next three games now."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1648991,00.html

What atmosphere?

Celebrity WAGs (well they were on Big Brother once) Chanelle Hayes and Chantelle Houghton sent a shiver through the Middlesbrough dressing room on Wednesday when it was reported by the Daily Star that the pair were being tested for Swine Flu after returning from a holiday in Mexico.

Hayes, who was described by The Spoiler as "slowly working her way through the Middlesbrough team", dates either Boro youngster Seb Hines or defender Matthew Bates, depending on which celebrity gossip magazine you read. If she is found to be carrying the flu, it is likely her partner will have it, and therefore the entire Boro squad would have to be checked out.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=641842&sec=global&root=global&cc=5901

Good news?  :mackems:

Celebrity WAGs (well they were on Big Brother once) Chanelle Hayes and Chantelle Houghton sent a shiver through the Middlesbrough dressing room on Wednesday when it was reported by the Daily Star that the pair were being tested for Swine Flu after returning from a holiday in Mexico.

Hayes, who was described by The Spoiler as "slowly working her way through the Middlesbrough team", dates either Boro youngster Seb Hines or defender Matthew Bates, depending on which celebrity gossip magazine you read. If she is found to be carrying the flu, it is likely her partner will have it, and therefore the entire Boro squad would have to be checked out.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=641842&sec=global&root=global&cc=5901

Sounds fake enough to have the game postponed, aye. :thup:

I saw a bit of boro's game with manure at the weekend, one player that has me a little worried is surprisingly Alves. I know he's been a bit of a disaster for them but when he came on, he seemed to cause problems for the Manure defence, he is just the sort of player that we are adept at letting score against us.

Southgate is also talking a good game, obviously that means nothing as I'm sure he's been doing that all season but their results have been pathetic. I'm more worried about this one than I was a few weeks back. Our midfield needs to create and our strikers need to finish. An early goal for us would calm all the nerves and I'm sure we would go on and win it, as boro's confidence is just as fragile as ours.

I know exactly what you mean. All this talk about boro being crap leaves me cold tbh. They are capable of raising their game as we saw against Liverpool. Compare their performance against them to ours and it's clear we can't take anything for granted. We can win this but we will need our big "stars" to show up to seal it. It is going to be anything but easy.

Guest Roger Kint

That publicity prostitute looks like a dogrough ladyboy in the flesh. She must wear £10k worth of slap for each photoshoot :kinnear:

There's too many in the current team have just not shown up come match day, time to blood a few of the reserves. Ordinarily you would want every ounce of experience out there but their confidence is ripped to shreds and as such their experience is useless to them, at least some of the reserves will be hungry and passionate.

Guest black n white

harper

beye  collon  bass  duff

guth

martins    jonas  lovely

carroll

viduka and owen to come on for guth and harper in the second half 3-0