The other sh*t teams' games - Hull 0 - 1 Man Utd, Sunderland 2 - 3 Chelsea

Dave

Fuck, how massive is Monday (feels like Pompey all over again)

We deserve to go down on the basis that we havent beaten Hull this season, in 4 meetings.

Pretty big. 24 hours and 6 letters to be precise.

And I don't agree with the 2nd bit. It's how many points you get over the course of 38 games, not a few against one of your rivals.

We deserve to go down on the basis that we keep getting thrown lifelines by other teams, and we keep f***ing it all up.

The fact that we still have a chance of staying up is nothing short of a miracle.

We deserve to go down on the basis that we havent beaten Hull this season, in 4 meetings.

And I don't agree with the 2nd bit. It's how many points you get over the course of 38 games, not a few against one of your rivals.

Yep, of course thats the truth.

Right now however, there are more reasons to suggest we should go down than stay up.

Yep, of course thats the truth.

Right now however, there are more reasons to suggest we should go down than stay up.

Whether they deserve it or not, it looks like the team have yet another lifeline to haul themselves to safety. Knowing this lot they'll use it to hang themselves instead.

All we need is to survive this season, a new season with a sensible manager that knows the game (a.k.a. Shearer), and we can rebuild the right way.

That's what I thought last season when Keegan fought to keep us up. We all know how that played out.

All we need is to survive this season, a new season with a sensible manager that knows the game (a.k.a. Shearer), and we can rebuild the right way.

That's what I thought last season when Keegan fought to keep us up. We all know how that played out.

aye but it would be boring to do the same thing again and we know nufc isn't boring.

aye but it would be boring to do the same thing again and we know nufc isn't boring.

True. I was just making the point that, last season I thought "All we need is to survive this season, a new season with a sensible manager that knows the game (a.k.a. Keegan), and we can rebuild the right way". The wheels came off that after two games. I doubt we'd have the same problem again though.

True. I was just making the point that, last season I thought "All we need is to survive this season, a new season with a sensible manager that knows the game (a.k.a. Keegan), and we can rebuild the right way". The wheels came off that after two games. I doubt we'd have the same problem again though.

Shearer wouldn't desert us  :nope:

Guest neesy111

Ashley has allowed Shearer to restructure the club, that's the difference.

aye, and no doubt stay up or go down, there will be a clearout in the summer from top to bottom of the club

major changes are on their way

Ashley has allowed Shearer to restructure the club, that's the difference.

aye, and no doubt stay up or go down, there will be a clearout in the summer from top to bottom of the club

major changes are on their way

I don't think things will change as significantly if we stay up mind.

But yeah, even if he only gives Shearer the £10m suggested in the paper, as long as Shearer is given full control over where its spent I'll be much happier. The way he's forced wholesale changes to the management, coaching and discipline structures gives me hope.

Indeed. Plus I'm guessing that doesn't include any money made from sales which, lets face it, there will be alot of. Even if we don't get much for any one player it will all add up. I reckon all in all we could have a healthy kitty if we stay up.

£10m is pennies considering how much investment we need.  The fact that we've made profits in the last 2 transfer windows should dictate we spend a great deal more than that.  We won't get fees for Owen, Viduka, Cacapa, Geremi, Barton (?), etc.  Although granted, we'll get a significant chunk off the wage bill.

Maybe we'd get decent money for the likes of Martins and Colocini but whatever you think about those 2, selling them would leave massive holes in the squad and filling them would require massive investment.  Unless you go down the route of spending pennies on rubbish like Nolan and Taylor.  God help us if we think selling Bassong is the kind of move that takes us forward.

Ah, it's so depressing to think that even if we get out of the mire this season, it could a long, hard road ahead.  If Ashley spent moderately over the next 2 summers he would be left with a club worth loads more than it is currently.

£10m is pennies considering how much investment we need.  The fact that we've made profits in the last 2 transfer windows should dictate we spend a great deal more than that.

But the massive losses we've made, and we continue to make (£50-60 million over the last two seasons?), dictate that maybe we shouldn't.  £10 million plus whatever we can get from transfers sounds like a decent sum for now.  The season after, when the financial sitaution of the club should be far more stable (losses down to £7 million I believe was the estimate) we can push on and spend significantly more, hopefully..

Yeah fair point and I'm all for being pragmatic.  The losses mainly stem from ridiculous wages though and if we can get some of that sorted then we can hopefully get some good, hungry youngsters in but even they won't come cheap in terms of transfer fees.  It's a real catch-22 given that if we stayed up we'd most likely struggle next year unless we plug the holes that have needed plugging for years.

Anyway I'm a bit wary of this thread resembling loads of others so I reckon I'll just shush like.

"It's like Hull are in a lift, descending so fast and stopping at no floor and heading towards the next storey of the hotel."

The senile old commentator on RTE's comments at the final whistle in the Hull game. Word for word, had to stop and rewind the SKY+ to make sure I heard it right.

Possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Yeah fair point and I'm all for being pragmatic.  The losses mainly stem from ridiculous wages though and if we can get some of that sorted then we can hopefully get some good, hungry youngsters in but even they won't come cheap in terms of transfer fees.  It's a real catch-22 given that if we stayed up we'd most likely struggle next year unless we plug the holes that have needed plugging for years.

Anyway I'm a bit wary of this thread resembling loads of others so I reckon I'll just shush like.

IMO having a manager all season will improve us no end, enough to be comfortably mid table at least, get to the stage were we're financially sound and then push on from their.

Guest neesy111

£10m is pennies considering how much investment we need.  The fact that we've made profits in the last 2 transfer windows should dictate we spend a great deal more than that.

But the massive losses we've made, and we continue to make, dictate that maybe we shouldn't.  £10 million plus whatever we can get from transfers sounds like a decent sum for now and the season after, when the financial sitaution of the club should be far more stable we can push on and spend significantly more, hopefully..

the club recieves loads of money this close season from the emre, faye, milner, n'zogbia, given deals which is around £25 million, this will help the losses

the big factor for myself will be the wages which simply have to come down with duff, butt, owen, viduka, martins, cacapa, barton all are likely (or i want) to leave these combined are on around 30 million between them  :kasper:

"It's like Hull are in a lift, descending so fast and stopping at no floor and heading towards the next storey of the hotel."

The senile old commentator on RTE's comments at the final whistle in the Hull game. Word for word, had to stop and rewind the SKY+ to make sure I heard it right.

Who's RTE?

Who's RTE?

If only there was some sort of internet search engine for this sort of query... ;)

A television station in Ireland.  O0