Atmosphere tonight

Fenham Mag

Amazing atmosphere. I know it's cliche but you could genuinely feel the relief when the third went in; all the pent up frustration and anger of the previous seventy minutes (well, previous 8 or 9 months tbh), released in one massive celebration. Was fucking brilliant; so many people were going mental.

Guest toonlass

Absolutely cracking atmosphere tonight. Have no voice today, throat is buggered from singing and shouting as much. Thought my mate was going to get arrested near the end of the game as he was dancing about infront of the boro fans giving it some, but the police and stewards just laughed at him. Top class night.

Can't stay away from the Fulham game after seeing that on telly last night... just bought my ticket and planned my drive up on Friday night.

:indi:

You aren't by any chance driving up from London and fancy a companion and some petrol money?!

Can't stay away from the Fulham game after seeing that on telly last night... just bought my ticket and planned my drive up on Friday night.

:indi:

You aren't by any chance driving up from London and fancy a companion and some petrol money?!

No, sorry, I'm driving from Oxford after work on Friday. You're welcome if that's not out of the question for you, but sure there must be people coming from London?

Guest Phil K

Was at work.

My DAB radio being used for the first time, because I had both other radios thrown out because we never do anything with me listening to them - was playing up - here now, gone now, sputtering like Norman ****** Collier doing rap (remember him ? Wish I didn't) then using the FM on REAL (formerly Century) which was just as bad (surrounded by electrical stuff at the Airport) and I caught Bob Moncur celebrating then he was off and I was screaming (literally) "WHAT THE F***'s HAPPENING TELL ME YOU BAST*RD RADIO !!!!!!" In the end I had to switch off having found out it was 2-1 with 10 mins or so to go, and was told when I finished quarter of an hour later by the feller who took me off, another Newcastle sufferer - who's grin said it all - And I said "Still 2-1 ????" He said "THREE one !"

So I went home pleased !

I just got home from the match now, been up for 24 hours straight and spent the night in Newcastle airport on a buzz, couldn't sleep. I think that's the best game I've ever been to, maybe not with the quality of play but more the atmosphere, even the people around me where up dancing about and singing, made it more enjoyable, bumped into some toon fans from Galway and Tipperary some good banter from like 1 in the morning to like half 5! Even bumped into a hull fan in the airport who was downbeat, all n all was well worth the trip!

Was loving the pig bag chants like.

What ?

Boro, being the bunch of plastic foam-hand wearing knackers that they are, play (or at least used to play) the chorus of this when they score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8FXuvuCCxw

And their fans started singing it after a goal at away matches too.  Couple of seasons ago they scored at St James' and were doing it non stop, so of course when we came back to win we started doing it back.  When we were 3-1 up last night people were doing it again to take the piss.

You know what the funny thing is?, even though it was a cracking atmosphere last night, I still think it was not even half as good as it could be.

Out of the 48,000 Newcastle fans there last night, I bet you that under 20,000 actually sang.

You know what the funny thing is?, even though it was a cracking atmosphere last night, I still think it was not even half as good as it could be.

Out of the 48,000 Newcastle fans there last night, I bet you that under 20,000 actually sang.

that ought to be the average atmosphere.

Used to be before it all became a bit plastic and sanitised.

no it didn't. black and wfite striped specs on there benwell lad.

no it didn't. black and wfite striped specs on there benwell lad.

I beg to differ. Maybe we're talking about a different yesterday.

Go back to the old Leazes End and you had the crowd building from 2 o clock, no piped music just chanting and singing. The support was also a lot less conditional i.e. we carried on singing even when we were poor, cos that's what we did - we sang.

SJP was famously intimidating for away teams because of the atmosphere generated, nowadays it's more like an orchestrated concert or Ameriacan baseball or basketball event which occasionally stirs from it's slumbers.

Whatever - a repeat of Monday evening's "old fashioned" atmosphere is a must on Saturday.

Why is it that in desperate times only, the crowd seem more up for it.  A repeat of that EVERY game, regardless of result, would at least make the match more enjoyable for the fans and players..

Clearly it helps the team.

Questions - what needs to be done to ensure it is recreated every week?

Why is it that in desperate times only, the crowd seem more up for it.  A repeat of that EVERY game, regardless of result, would at least make the match more enjoyable for the fans and players..

Clearly it helps the team.

Questions - what needs to be done to ensure it is recreated every week?

I think it's pretty much impossible to create an atmosphere unless there is something to cheer for on the pitch. These last couple of games are do or die so everyone is prepared to stop whinging for 90 minutes.

I'm struggling to think how that could happen every week... our fans (like everyone's) are very prone to turning on the players when things aren't going well.