Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

He's decent but he's not a world-beater by any means, won't be too gutted if he leaves.

I agree, if the reported 12 million bidding war is true between Arsenal and Spuds, then we are getting a good deal.

Who said he was a world beater? Fact is right now he's one of our best players, and young too. Selling him is a f***ing stupid idea.

Have you learnt nothing from Ashley's tenure? ???

Thats not the decision that is being reported, he wants away and i dont blame him.

Neither do I, it's just the attitude that he's not all that and we'd be getting a good deal that I disagree with. A good deal is keeping hold of a good player. If we sold him right now that money would just go straight in Ashley's pocket anyway because I can't see him reducing the price of the club by £12m.

As Skirge says, if the report is true then it's of the clubs own doing by being a total f***ing mess. :(

Hold up there sparky.

I've always advocated the need to not just sell Bassong for the sake of selling him and that cosidering his age and wage, he's should be no where near the top of the list of players sold.

However if we get an offer that exceeds his valuation then we should most certainly take it.

The point about selling him while Ashley is still flogging the club is very true, there is a danger that that 12 million will go straight into Ashley's pocket, if they paid all up front for him, which is not going to happen we'll receive installment payments.

We can afford to sit on this and wait for the best offer to come hopefully by which time the takeover is complete. If we don't receive an acceptable offer then tell Bassong to suck it up and honour his contract. I don't buy this crap we are fed about there being no way to hang onto a unhappy player.

Oh and transfer dealing should never be black and white like you indicate of not learning the lessons of Ashley, sometimes you have to look to make a profit on a young player to move forward.

Guest Mucky01

I wish people would come to terms with our best players are going to leave, unpleasant as it is.

In all my life I have never seen a club get relegated because the players couldn’t be bothered, but that’s the truth of it.

Bassong is one of the few that could be bothered and I’m sure he wants to achieve to the best of his ability. More than I can say for the the others.

We have been a ‘stepping stone’ club more often than not, so deal with it FFS!

He's decent but he's not a world-beater by any means, won't be too gutted if he leaves.

I agree, if the reported 12 million bidding war is true between Arsenal and Spuds, then we are getting a good deal.

Who said he was a world beater? Fact is right now he's one of our best players, and young too. Selling him is a f***ing stupid idea.

Thats not the decision that is being reported, he wants away and i dont blame him.

Neither do I, it's just the attitude that he's not all that and we'd be getting a good deal that I disagree with. A good deal is keeping hold of a good player. If we sold him right now that money would just go straight in Ashley's pocket anyway because I can't see him reducing the price of the club by £12m.

As Skirge says, if the report is true then it's of the clubs own doing by being a total f***ing mess. :(

Hold up there sparky.

I've always advocated the need to not just sell Bassong for the sake of selling him and that cosidering his age and wage, he's should be no where near the top of the list of players sold.

However if we get an offer that exceeds his valuation then we should most certainly take it.

The point about selling him while Ashley is still flogging the club is very true, there is a danger that that 12 million will go straight into Ashley's pocket, if they paid all up front for him, which is not going to happen we'll receive installment payments.

We can afford to sit on this and wait for the best offer to come hopefully by which time the takeover is complete. If we don't receive an acceptable offer then tell Bassong to suck it up and honour his contract. I don't buy this crap we are fed about there being no way to hang onto a unhappy player.

Oh and transfer dealing should never be black and white like you indicate of not learning the lessons of Ashley, sometimes you have to look to make a profit on a young player to move forward.

The problem with taking a good offer for Bassong is that we'll inevitably cock it up when we try and replace him. Does Coloccini replacing Faye ring a bell?

Can't we just loan out the better players with a view to recalling them once we're back in the premiership? Obviously this only works if we bounce straight back up but they can atleast give us a season to get back up and if we don't then they can move elsewhere or sign for the loaning club.

Can't we just loan out the better players with a view to recalling them once we're back in the premiership? Obviously this only works if we bounce straight back up but they can atleast give us a season to get back up and if we don't then they can move elsewhere or sign for the loaning club.

If we cannot get £10m+ for him then its very worth our while doing so. He's on a pittance of a wage here compared to the rest of the leaches and has a long contract.

Sell him to Arsenal for big money or loan him to a mid table club asking for a £1m loan fee while covering his wages and setting a transfer at big money at the same time. He gets to stay in the prem and we don't lose him on the cheap.

Only work for certain players.

I'd be happy to do that with Taylor as well, though i'd rather him stay just like Bassong.

They dont do 6 year loans unfortunately...i can see us ending up with a Leeds scenario where we end up paying a percentage of a guys wages even though hes playin for another club. the whole scenario of mike fucking ashleys reign is nothing short of criminal

someone please tell me how this clueless piece of shit ever made any money in the first place his whole business Acumen is a fucking disgrace. I mean it baffles me as to why someone would neglect there investment so much..not one of us on here would buy a house for 150k and let it go to wreck and ruin and end up only selling for 30k

Fat clueless cunt

If we cannot get £10m+ for him then its very worth our while doing so. He's on a pittance of a wage here compared to the rest of the leaches and has a long contract.

Sell him to Arsenal for big money or loan him to a mid table club asking for a £1m loan fee while covering his wages and setting a transfer at big money at the same time. He gets to stay in the prem and we don't lose him on the cheap.

I'd be happy to do that with Taylor as well, though i'd rather him stay just like Bassong.

Our owner doesnt give a s*** about the club anymore.  Any money coming in is in HIS interest now.. not the clubs, why would he want to get a 1 million fee when he can sell for 5mil?

Our owner doesnt give a s*** about the club anymore.  Any money coming in is in HIS interest now.. not the clubs, why would he want to get a 1 million fee when he can sell for 5mil?

Is the very bleakest way of looking at it, but i don't blame you. :(

Surely Ashley will be wanting to sell for as much as possible so that when prospective buyers look at the club, the financial position looks stronger.

Anyway, whether he went for £4m or £40m, that money goes into the clubs coffers not Ashley's pocket, so it's not like he'd get any more cash than the £100m he's after.

Surely Ashley will be wanting to sell for as much as possible so that when prospective buyers look at the club, the financial position looks stronger.

Anyway, whether he went for £4m or £40m, that money goes into the clubs coffers not Ashley's pocket, so it's not like he'd get any more cash than the £100m he's after.

How do you know that? If one of the clubs biggest assets leaves, can he demand the same price for it?

You're talking like Ashley gives a flying fuck about the club any more even though it's rotting right in front of him and you.

How do you know that? If one of the clubs biggest assets leaves, can he demand the same price for it?

You're talking like Ashley gives a flying fuck about the club any more even though it's rotting right in front of him and you.

It should be part of any takeover discussions, any potential investor would want to make sure that any funds generated by the sale of assets either led to a reduction in the asking price for the business or ensure that the funds stayed within the business.

If he really wants to make a sale quickly then adopting a scorched earth policy in regards to the 1st team would not make us a very attractive option to someone who, and I think it's a reasonable assumption to make, would want us to return to the top flight on the first try.  I don't think he'd take "whatever he can" while he's (presumably, I know) in negotiations -- for any player.

Hold up there sparky.

The problem with taking a good offer for Bassong is that we'll inevitably cock it up when we try and replace him. Does Coloccini replacing Faye ring a bell?

You can not base your entire transfer policy on the possibility that you might cock up and sign another Coloccini or Boumsong or Luque. You get a offer that exceeds your valuation for a player that doesn't want to play for you anymore, then to be frank it's a no brainer.

That's all well and good but, it would need to be coupled with Bassong signing a contract extension. Otherwise we'll be left with the situation of Bassong returning with only one year left on his contract, his value will be nothing like what he would fetch selling him this year.

We've actually done this thing before, with Vianna.

If he really wants to make a sale quickly then adopting a scorched earth policy in regards to the 1st team would not make us a very attractive option to someone who, and I think it's a reasonable assumption to make, would want us to return to the top flight on the first try.  I don't think he'd take "whatever he can" while he's (presumably, I know) in negotiations -- for any player.

You would hope so wouldn't you. But given his track record - some of the mind-boggling decisions he's already made, you can't put it past him. Furthermore, why employ First Direct with a brief to offload anyone to interested parties, apart from the obvious lightening of the wagebill, when any prospective new owners have a vested interest in those very same assets. It's true that with every sold player the club devalues proportionally, but can you really see Ashley saying "The price is £100m and there is currently £23m available in transfer funds from players already sold."

One of the worst part of Ashleys entire tenure has been the lack of communication with fans, and now, at a time when we all want to know more than anything what is happenig to our club, the silence is once again deafening.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5373064,00.html

Newcastle defender Sebastien Bassong wants to leave the club for an immediate return to the Premier League.

The Magpies were relegated from the Premier League on the final day of the campaign and are in danger of a player exodus while owner Mike Ashley finds a buyer for the club.

Bassong, 22, only moved to Newcastle from FC Metz last year and became a regular in the team's leaky defence.

Now the former France Under 21 international fears for his development if he plays at Championship level and is hoping reported interest from Arsenal and Tottenham materialises into a bid.

"I want to leave," Bassong told L'Equipe. "I want to develop in the Premier League."

"I will have to weigh up the pros and cons (of an offer), study the sporting project, the amount of playing time they would want to give me."

That's the end of that then. :(

Guest Stephen927

Was always going to leave, he left the club he'd been at since youth level when they were relegated to further himself, was never going to be any different for us when he's shown to everyone who has an inkling about football that he is a very good young player.

I hope you guys don't all call him a cunt when he does leave. He's a good guy and a good player. Gave his all and doesn't deserve to play in the Championship.

Thanks, Bassong, I wish you well wherever you choose to play.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5373064,00.html

Newcastle defender Sebastien Bassong wants to leave the club for an immediate return to the Premier League.

The Magpies were relegated from the Premier League on the final day of the campaign and are in danger of a player exodus while owner Mike Ashley finds a buyer for the club.

Bassong, 22, only moved to Newcastle from FC Metz last year and became a regular in the team's leaky defence.

Now the former France Under 21 international fears for his development if he plays at Championship level and is hoping reported interest from Arsenal and Tottenham materialises into a bid.

"I want to leave," Bassong told L'Equipe. "I want to develop in the Premier League."

"I will have to weigh up the pros and cons (of an offer), study the sporting project, the amount of playing time they would want to give me."

That's the end of that then. :(

He won't be going anywhere if we don't receive an acceptable offer, unless of course our ownership are a bunch of baffoons.... doh !