Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

Bassong opens exit talks

Two English clubs in for Magpies defender

Newcastle defender Sebastien Bassong has revealed that he is in talks with two clubs regarding a summer move.

The Frenchman, who has committed his international future to Cameroon, was powerless to prevent the Magpies slipping out of the Premier League last season and was expected to be among those seeking an exit from St James' Park during the transfer window.

The commanding centre-half has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal, while Manchester City, Aston Villa and Tottenham are also believed to be keen.

It now appears to be only a matter of time before the 22-year-old, who only joined Newcastle from Metz last July, will be on his way out of Tyneside.

Bassong has refused to reveal the identity of those clubs that have made an initial approach for his services, but he has admitted that discussions have been opened.

"I have started to negotiate with two English clubs," he told Aujourd'hui Sport.

Well at least we've got rid of one of the biggest drains on our resources who is under-performing and on massive wages. Hail Ashley's brilliant re-structuring revolution!  :cheesy:

i'd possibly rule arsenal out if they get vermaelen. and if its spurs, im sure martin jol will reveal all. reckon its between villa (to replace laursen) and everton (to replace lescott).....or possibly man city *fingers crossed*.

Guest firetotheworks

We need to keep our best players. Fuck him wanting to go somewhere, if we want him to stay, he should stay. Balls to this 'we dont want an unhappy player' rubbish.

He won't be going anywhere, club will be sold in a few days by the looks of things and if Al gets the job Bassong will be told he IS staying put.

if clubs have agreed a fee and he wants to go, i believe he can go.

I think something similar happened with Corluka

Anyone hazard a guess as to where's he's off?

I'll say he's talking to Arsenal and Spurs.

Bolton and Stoke more like. Looking half decent in our defence isn't going to alert a top 4 club.

i'd possibly rule arsenal out if they get vermaelen. and if its spurs, im sure martin jol will reveal all. reckon its between villa (to replace laursen) and everton (to replace lescott).....or possibly man city *fingers crossed*.

Vermaelen deal should be going through friday, so unless Senderos/Toure/gallas are off i doubt he will be coming. Hope he isn't tbh.

Guest Magpiecn

May be Villa or Fulham.

He won't be going anywhere, club will be sold in a few days by the looks of things and if Al gets the job Bassong will be told he IS staying put.

your optimism is a beautiful thing  :thup:

I'm trying, I think if Ashley sells any player its a fkn disgrace, the cunt is selling the club he should sell it with ALL of its squad and let the new owner & manager decide who is sold. I know if I was one of those looking at buying the club I would have made it very clear that I am looking at buying it ALL and that I wuld not be willing to buy it with him selling players before the deal is done.

your optimism is a beautiful thing  :thup:

I'm trying, I think if Ashley sells any player its a fkn disgrace, the cunt is selling the club he should sell it with ALL of its squad and let the new owner & manager decide who is sold. I know if I was one of those looking at buying the club I would have made it very clear that I am looking at buying it ALL and that I wuld not be willing to buy it with him selling players before the deal is done.

Aye that's what I would of thought, how can you sell a club for 100m but sell a player right before for 4m or whatever? Won't happen.

Bolton and Stoke more like. Looking half decent in our defence isn't going to alert a top 4 club.

Both will have very good centre back pairings if he did go to one of them :(