Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

Surely Sebastien Bassong is a better player than Michael Dawson?

In fact, isn't Shirley Bassey a better player than Michael Dawson?

I didn't see much of Spurs last year, but he's always struck me as the third chuckle brother, so apologies if he's improved massively last season.

Dawson only played 13 league games last year. He did actually get better, after a decidedly ropey time the year before. Even if Bassong's better than Dawson (and he's probably got better touch and is quicker, their tackling is similar, and Dawson's better in the air) he still wouldn't be a first choice for Spurs which was my point. Bassong would be great cover, as he would be for Villa.

i'm 42 yrs old, 5ft 11.....16 stone...haven't played a competitive game in 9 years.

whist michael dawson is paid a wage i still have dreams that i can be a professional footballer.

I didn't see much of Spurs last year, but he's always struck me as the third chuckle brother, so apologies if he's improved massively last season.

Dawson only played 13 league games last year. He did actually get better, after a decidedly ropey time the year before. Even if Bassong's better than Dawson (and he's probably got better touch and is quicker, their tackling is similar, and Dawson's better in the air) he still wouldn't be a first choice for Spurs which was my point. Bassong would be great cover, as he would be for Villa.

I like Bassong but to be honest, I wouildn;t want us to sign him. We need an experienced head at CB to bring the best out of Davies or Cuellar - when Laursen got injured, those two both went to tit.

I like Bassong but to be honest, I wouildn;t want us to sign him. We need an experienced head at CB to bring the best out of Davies or Cuellar - when Laursen got injured, those two both went to tit.

I thought Cuellar was going to provide that cool head when you signed him. He was classy at Rangers, particularly in that UEFA run.

Probably alone here but I think Bassong is nothing more than a decent defender, error-prone, and was made to look impressive by what was around him. And the fact any sort of form in that team last year could be seen as 'impressive'.

Probably alone here but I think Bassong is nothing more than a decent defender, error-prone, and was made to look impressive by what was around him. And the fact any sort of form in that team last year could be seen as 'impressive'.

yup...very alone.

He only made a few errors to be fair, a lot less than Mr fkin Dependable Jamie Carragher

That's fair comment tbh, but decent at his age/level of experience is pretty good. I want to keep him as much for his promise as his form last year.

That's fair comment tbh, but decent at his age/level of experience is pretty good. I want to keep him as much for his promise as his form last year.

Oh aye, certainly not saying he's top of the 'get rid' list, but I think if he did go to Spurs or wherever he's apparently going, I doubt he'd do that well really.

Obviously I can't recount all the errors but it felt that he wasn't getting punished for his mistakes whereas, for example, whenever poor Titus dropped a clanger he seemingly always got punished for it.

This rumoured £8m + Wilshire/Vela for a season would be a fantastic deal.

Ah, right. Mind I'll make it as a journo (fuck you, Nixon) if I continue  this '1 person makes something up = 'rumoured'' approach.

Would rather keep Bassong rather than take the rumored transfer/loan scenario.  The Championship will do wonders for Bassong's development.

IT'S CATCHING ON!  :frantic:

Ah, right. Mind I'll make it as a journo (fuck you, Nixon) if I continue  this '1 person makes something up = 'rumoured'' approach.

Would rather keep Bassong rather than take the rumored transfer/loan scenario.  The Championship will do wonders for Bassong's development.

IT'S CATCHING ON!  :frantic:

The numpty who made it up has just pulled the Rickroll on Toontastic. :lol:

Exactly. Compared to the rest who are mostly being paid a lot more, he is impressive.

He had a shaky end to the season when he realised he couldn't be arsed with this shower of a club anymore... but i think on the whole, he looked a class act last season. Pretty raw but a hell of a lot of talent. If he stays in the Premiership, he'll be one of the best young centre-backs in the league within a couple of years; no doubt about that in my mind.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1198449/Sebastien-Bassong-blaming-uncertainty-Newcastle-blocking-exit-admits-Arsenal-approach-sign-him.html?ITO=1490

Sebastien Bassong says Arsenal have made an approach to sign him, but the French defender blames Newcastle's uncertain future for blocking his exit from St James' Park.

The 22-year-old made it clear he wanted to leave following Newcastle's relegation to the Championship and has revealed his frustration after reporting for pre-season training on Tyneside this week.

'Premier League clubs are interested in me, but nothing is simple because Newcastle are in the middle of a takeover and nobody knows who will be the manager.'

Asked about Arsenal, he said: 'I can confirm there was an approach, but for now nothing is concrete.

'Foreign clubs inquired, but as it is my priority to stay in England, I didn't respond.

'Obviously, it would be better if things gathered pace, but I'm not worried.'

The 6ft 2in centre-half was one of the few players who impressed for Newcastle last season after joining for just £500,000 from Metz 12 months ago.

Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City have also been linked to the France Under 21 international.

:morph:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1198449/Sebastien-Bassong-blaming-uncertainty-Newcastle-blocking-exit-admits-Arsenal-approach-sign-him.html?ITO=1490

Sebastien Bassong says Arsenal have made an approach to sign him, but the French defender blames Newcastle's uncertain future for blocking his exit from St James' Park.

The 22-year-old made it clear he wanted to leave following Newcastle's relegation to the Championship and has revealed his frustration after reporting for pre-season training on Tyneside this week.

'Premier League clubs are interested in me, but nothing is simple because  Newcastle are in the middle of a takeover and nobody knows who will be the  manager.'

Asked about Arsenal, he said: 'I can confirm there was an approach, but for now  nothing is concrete.

'Foreign clubs inquired, but as it is my priority to stay in England, I didn't  respond.

'Obviously, it would be better if things gathered pace, but I'm not worried.'

The 6ft 2in centre-half was one of the few players who impressed for Newcastle last season after joining for just £500,000 from Metz 12 months ago.

Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City have also been linked to the France Under  21 international.

:morph:

who have they approached at the club ?