Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

Just did a little calculation of who I think we'll sell and how much we'll get for them. The total came to 29.5 million, which is a lot more than I thought, here's how I came up with that:

Geremi            500k

Barton             2 mill

Jonas              3 mill

Colo                5 mill

Smith               2 mill

Martins            7 mill

Xisco                2 mill

Bassong          8 mill

Wildly optimistic or close to what will happen ? I can see both Colo and Jonas actually moving on loans, but that would still leave us with 21 million from player sales, not bad at all especially when you factor in the wage reductions.

The problem of course is we have to replace those 8 players in the squad along with the 6 players who will be either out of contract or at the end of their loans. A 14 player turnover may be to big for us to achieve.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,62276.0.html

;)

Guest geordienorway

Just did a little calculation of who I think we'll sell and how much we'll get for them. The total came to 29.5 million, which is a lot more than I thought, here's how I came up with that:

Geremi            500k

Barton             2 mill

Smith               2 mill

Bassong          8 mill

Wildly optimistic or close to what will happen ? I can see both Colo and Jonas actually moving on loans, but that would still leave us with 21 million from player sales, not bad at all especially when you factor in the wage reductions.

The problem of course is we have to replace those 8 players in the squad along with the 6 players who will be either out of contract or at the end of their loans. A 14 player turnover may be to big for us to achieve.

IMO that is an under-estimation. If we sell those players we could easily end up with about 35 million £.

Geremi            500k

Barton             2 mill

Smith               2 mill

Bassong          8 mill

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,62276.0.html

;)

Yeah but that would involve me navigating beyond the first couple of threads on the board, something I'm way too lazy to ever do :p

It's not like this is my forum and I know the contents of every bloody thread, unlike some folk ;)

without selling Bassong i honestly think we could get past the £25m point

It's a good time to be selling the likes of Colo back to spain because of the current pound-euro conversion. We could probably get £8m back

I don't believe for a second we are interested in Bassong, let alone at that price.

Not that hes not a good player - he is (although 15m? dear lord) - but we need an experienced head to play alongside Cuellar or Davies, not another up and coming youngster.

I don't believe for a second we are interested in Bassong, let alone at that price.

Not that hes not a good player - he is (although 15m? dear lord) - but we need an experienced head to play alongside Cuellar or Davies, not another up and coming youngster.

If Curtis Davies is worth £10 million, then Bassong is worth £25 million!

My point is players nowadays are way over priced and I think £15 million isn't an unrealistic price!

Guest optimistic nit

Beye---Taylor---Bassong---Enrique

is that good enough? I think so if the all CAN stay fit and get a good run of games together.

I'd say that was plenty good enough for the Championship. Depending on significant changes to the midfield of course.

that would make a good PL defence tbh.

its the shit infront we need to sort out. convincing bassong and enrique to stay would be fucking amazing.

ermmmmmmm :lol:

Big Al puts £15m price on Sebastien Bassong

May 28 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN SHEARER is expected to place a £15m valuation on star defender Sebastien Bassong in a bid to ensure a “win, win” situation regardless of the outcome on the French ace’s future.

The Chronicle understands that Shearer – who hopes to confirm a new deal with the Magpies by the end of the week – wants to keep Bassong on Tyneside and build a team around the ex-Metz man.

However, Arsenal, Manchester City, Aston Villa and Spurs are all interested in the player who was Newcastle’s star man of the season just finished.

And once Shearer is given the green light to take full control, one of his first tasks will be to tie up a new deal with Bassong that will see him handed a vastly improved contract which would quintuple his £5,000-a-week wages.

Insiders at St James’s Park today were still confident that Shearer will emerge from discussions with managing director Derek Llambias and football secretary Lee Charnley smiling after a week of talks over just where the relegated Magpies go from here. Shearer’s view that “every day that goes by, another room burns” has not gone unnoticed by Llambias and Toon tycoon Mike Ashley.

However, the billionaire owner stayed out of the second round of talks yesterday.

But while Newcastle are under no pressure to sell Bassong from a contractual point of view, the appointment of Shearer is key to the side’s summer plans.

Yet with four Premier League clubs circling St James’s Park like vultures to land Bassong, currently on international duty with Cameroon for their World Cup qualifier with Morocco, Big Al will be keen either to hold on to the classy defender or bank his transfer fee on top of what Ashley [glow=red,2,300]pours [/glow]into his transfer kitty.

Shearer and his assistant Iain Dowie are hoping that Ashley will back a team rebuilding programme and that outgoing deals will not get in the way of bringing fresh faces into St James’s.

The last thing that Newcastle need right now is to have to sell to buy, with their Championship rivals already almost a month ahead of them in terms of preparation.

And Shearer will have enough on his plate when it comes to slashing the £74m wage bill.

Shearer and Dowie, unlike the last two days, were not at the training ground early this morning and it is understood that the majority of the talking has been done.

Now it appears that it is a case of Llambias, Charnley and financial controller John Irving working through Shearer’s action plan to see how much they can back it, with an announcement expected in due course.

Shearer is still scheduled to meet the representatives of both Bassong and Habib Beye in the next few days.

The appearance of investment banker Keith Harris on Tyneside sparked off takeover talk again at Newcastle but the situation regarding a buy- out of Ashley has not changed – and until a concrete offer is on the table, the Buckinghamshire billionaire will remain at the helm.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/28/big-al-puts-15m-price-on-sebastien-bassong-72703-23733327/

Spoken like a true club/Ashley arselicker of the press. A trademark of his over the past months in particular. A pointed but unjustified choice of wording - ie. what i've highlighted in colored print - given that three successive managers have played hardball in getting Ashley to release transfer funds.

Whereas it should read something like,"or bank his transfer fee on top of whatever amount of water Ashley might drip into the transfer funds jug"

Arsenal are interested but they won't pay anything like £15m either.  They too are really looking for experience though.

Arsenal are interested but they won't pay anything like £15m either.  They too are really looking for experience though.

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2008/12/29/1230575215173/Jonathan-Woodgate-001.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEqWw7VqmVkfVm3ctnaYqFCTYQ9jA

Well the 15m price tag, if correct, is a hands off signal not a 'come and get him' offer.

Nice to see you again MJ, how are you?

I see it as more of an opening of negotiations.

We will be lucky to get 10m for Bassong - he HAS got potential, but clubs know he will probably want to go soon and they know how desperate NUFC are to raise money..the 15m valuation is obviously aimed at scaring buyers off, but we won't get near it in reality.If he leaves, my money would be on a move to Arsenal, maybe with one of their fringe players coming the other way.

If Curtis Davies is worth £10 million, then Bassong is worth £25 million!

My point is players nowadays are way over priced and I think £15 million isn't an unrealistic price!

Not these days - financial reality will come home for many clubs this season due to the state of things generally. There will be pressure to trim budgets and wage bills for all but the very top clubs.

At the end of the day, those saying that £15m is an unrealistic price...er...that's kinda the point!

If you want him, open the wallet. If you won't pay that price, then we'll keep him.

Either way, happy days!

He's definitely chosen Cameroon then!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8067937.stm

Newcastle United defender Sebastien Bassong looks set to make his debut for Cameroon in the 2010 World Cup qualifiers next month.

The 22-year-old was among the first players to arrive at the Indomitable Lions training camp in Belgium.

Cameroon will play Morocco on 7 June and Gabon 13 days later.

Bassong is a former France Under-21 player but because he did not play a competitive match for the French juniors, he can play for Cameroon.

The centre-back is eligible for the Indomitable Lions as his parents hail from the country.

Cameroon coach Otto Pfister, who has resigned since naming the squad, also called up Ajax midfielder Eyong Enoh for the first time.

that can't be confidence building for bassong, he's had a few coaches this season like

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/09/s-bastien-bassong-voted-united-s-best-player-61634-23820308/

Sébastien Bassong voted United’s best player

Jun 9 2009 by Ben Guy, The Journal

ONE player has been given a resounding vote of confidence following Newcastle United’s dreadful relegation season.

Close to 65% of readers taking part in The Journal’s end-of-season survey thought centre back Sébastien Bassong was the club’s best player last season.

The 22-year-old arrived last summer from French club Metz following a brief trial and impressed throughout his first season at the club.

Fellow defender Steven Taylor received 15.7% of the vote, with Habib Beye also mentioned by many fans.

But, while Bassong impressed, plenty of fans suggested that no player in black and white had performed well enough over the season.

Jamie Irvine’s post was typical of many, when he wrote: “Not one player has applied any degree of consistency to merit the title of player of the season.” Nicky Butt won almost 6% of the vote, but other big names at the club were noticeable only by their absence.

In fact, the section of the survey which asked which players the club should try to sell included more of those star names.

High-profile signings Michael Owen, Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan were all singled out by angry fans as players who had not pulled their weight over the season.

We asked which players should be sold over the summer, and one anonymous fan mirrors the response of many others with the answer: “All of them.”

Dozens of fans also said the club should sell its high earners, with concerns about the club’s massive wage bill in the front of many supporters’ minds.

Even Shay Given, who left for Manchester City in January, received a few votes in our poll, but it was Bassong, a product of the famous Clairefontaine football academy in France, that most impressed the fans.

Many supporters also used our survey to express their frustration at the sale of James Milner, who has since enjoyed an excellent season at Aston Villa.

Bassong, who was called up to the Cameroon squad for the World Cup qualifier against Morocco at the weekend but did not play, has become a transfer target for a number of clubs following his eye-catching first season in England.

The player, who has represented France at Under-21 level, has been linked with a move to Arsenal and, unsurprisingly, our poll shows that Newcastle fans are desperate for him to stay.

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2008/12/29/1230575215173/Jonathan-Woodgate-001.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEqWw7VqmVkfVm3ctnaYqFCTYQ9jA

Why on earth would Arsenal want to sign you?