Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bent completely had him with that chance in the first half. Would like him to stop throwing himself into challenges.

I didn't see that, but one of the classiest things about him is how he starts sliding in for a tackle, and slides about 5 yards before he actually scoops the ball away with his foot. Don't think I've seen any other defender tackle like that. :lol:

Bent completely had him with that chance in the first half. Would like him to stop throwing himself into challenges.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2341/capturadepantallacomplerk.jpg

:thup:

I asked him that and he told me to f off and wanted a transfer.

As long as the play is in front of him, he's absolutely class. If it goes in behind, he has very little in his locker to do anything about it. Have yet to see him pull off a single good last ditch recovery tackle during his time here, he'll stay on his feet 99% of the time in those situations even if the striker is lining up a shot and the ball is within sliding distance (even Alan Smith has managed a few cracking last ditch tackles). I'd argue it's his biggest weakness, because normally the good defenders who stay on their feet most of the time tend to also be pretty quick (e.g. Rio Ferdinand), something which Coloccini lacks. Even when he does go to ground, it looks odd, as though he doesn't have the balance/agility/coordination/timing/leg reach to pull it off. But this is a criticism made only within the context of comparing him to a "typical" world class centreback, most of the time his positioning/reading is good enough for this to not be a problem.

As long as the play is in front of him, he's absolutely class. If it goes in behind, he has very little in his locker to do anything about it. Have yet to see him pull off a single good last ditch recovery tackle during his time here, he'll stay on his feet 99% of the time in those situations even if the striker is lining up a shot and the ball is within sliding distance (even Alan Smith has managed a few cracking last ditch tackles). I'd argue it's his biggest weakness, because normally the good defenders who stay on their feet most of the time tend to also be pretty quick (e.g. Rio Ferdinand), something which Coloccini lacks. Even when he does go to ground, it looks odd, as though he doesn't have the balance/agility/coordination/timing/leg reach to pull it off. But this is a criticism made only within the context of comparing him to a "typical" world class centreback, most of the time his positioning/reading is good enough for this to not be a problem.

Good summary.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2341/capturadepantallacomplerk.jpg

:thup:

:lol:

Quality.

Have we gone back to 2008? :razz: Everything in that post would be relevant at that time. Coloccini came out too quickly, got close to his man, and got turned so easily. Piss strikers like Fuller and Camara were walking all over him just cos they had an extra half-yard of pace. All of what you are saying would be relevant then, cos he would never recover.

I'd still agree, he doesn't have a good recovery tackle, but he doesn't need one anymore - so it's barely worth discussing. Williamson tends to be the one that covers (if he ever needs to) - but players rarely get past Coloccini nowadays. He's a different defender to Woodgate, who was quite similar to on-a-good-day-Bramble. Exceptional tackling ability, but i'd honestly argue that Colo reads the game slightly better.

Coloccini's positioning is impeccable for the majority of the time, even when he does, occassionally, drift ahead of the backline to make a tackle (something else he's also improved on). You say you've never seen him make a good recovery tackle. Well since the start of last season, i haven't seen him need to.