Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ah, July 2010. When everyone thought he was s***.

And is he?No,and half the idiotic/inbred support will never realise a decent player until it's too late.

Spanner.

Reading this thread from the first page should prove interesting. Not that I have like but just from memory.

And is he?No,and half the idiotic/inbred support will never realise a decent player until it's too late.

Spanner.

Reading this thread from the first page should prove interesting. Not that I have like but just from memory.

The first post is brilliant.

Spanner.

Best thing to do is not ever make your opinion known on a player but then call anyone up who said something negative no matter when or what context it was in about a player [/stu]

Guest neesy111

Spanner.

Best thing to do is not ever make your opinion known on a player but then call anyone up who said something negative no matter when or what context it was in about a player [/stu]

Very true.

I willingly hold my hands up about my early judgment of Coloccini.

The first time I saw him at Man U in the first game of 2008/9, I actually though he WAS a good player because he read the game well.

However, he was obviously affected by the upheavals at the club following KKs walk-out, plus he took time to adjust to the English game/way of life.

Ever since last season he has been good, and this year has proved beyond doubt that he is a quality player. He has been awesome in some games, esp at the SOS when he almost played their attack on his own.

I have never seen a player make such an improvement at his age and I am delighted I was wrong about him. Just a pity he isn't a couple of years younger because he could have been the bedrock of defence for 5-7 years. As it is, he is probably going to be away within 3 at best and if a decent offer comes in, even before. His one weakness is in handling fast physical forwards who get tight on him, but nobody is perfect.

Best CB we've had since Woodgate and stays fit too which is just as well because we will need him for the crucial run-in games.

Well done to howaythelads.  Say what you will about NE5 and him for being perpetually obnoxious with the same old hackneyed arguments ad nauseum, but they certainly got a few things right in hindsight. 

His sig doesn't do this hindsight much justice like. :lol:

Didn't say they got everything right.  And in truth, they probably stumbled on the truth more than anything else.

It gets on my nerves when people think that one's opinion cannot be malleable at all.  Over time, one collects data.  And the reasonable man will base his opinion on this.  If the opinion in the past was incorrect, then so be it.  Too many true believers as it is.

Didn't say they got everything right.  And in truth, they probably stumbled on the truth more than anything else.

It gets on my nerves when people think that one's opinion cannot be malleable at all.  Over time, one collects data.  And the reasonable man will base his opinion on this.  If the opinion in the past was incorrect, then so be it.  Too many true believers as it is.

Great stuff.  Never thought of watching football as collecting data ;D

What did my head in, was folk completely ignoring his time in La Liga and placing the spotlight on a few dodgy months in a new league behind Butt and Guthrie. Good to see how popular he is now, though. He's on the verge of being the best CB I've seen at NUFC.

What did my head in, was folk completely ignoring his time in La Liga and placing the spotlight on a few dodgy months in a new league behind Butt and Guthrie. Good to see how popular he is now, though. He's on the verge of being the best CB I've seen at NUFC.

he is certainly the best 'footballer' i've seen us have at CB. i can only think of Woodgate who was as good at defending. well, the odd game he managed to play in he was anyway...

he is certainly the best 'footballer' i've seen us have at CB. i can only think of Woodgate who was as good at defending. well, the odd game he managed to play in he was anyway...

Colo is outstanding. But he lacks the physical presence of Woodgate to surpass him. Colo's problems are shown not when he meets he likes of Torres, but when he's up against brutes like Roberts.

Colo is outstanding. But he lacks the physical presence of Woodgate to surpass him. Colo's problems are shown not when he meets he likes of Torres, but when he's up against brutes like Roberts.

Agreed. I can't even imagine the damage Carroll will do to him

Cant compare the 2, they are very different.

I think Colo needs to be partnered by someone with more physical presence. He reads the game well, has very good distribution etc

For me, he is a Rio type player, whereas Woodgate was more a Vidic type player....

Spanner.

Lazy journalism, best thing to do is "not ever make a ridiculously OTT knee-jerk reaction everytime we don't win 3-0 or better" [/rational fan]

Sometimes it's worth giving players from abroad some time to settle. Coloccini and Enrique showed glimpses of their quality from the first day in a Newcastle shirt but because they had a few hairy moments getting used to the pace of English football the critics were quick to pounce. I'm gald they stuck it out and we didn't end up flogging for a fraction of their real value.