Sol Campbell leaves Notts County

Skirge

as ive already said, we have never had an old head that the younger players could learn from.

would bring taylor on leaps and bounds.

just a shame it would appear he will be his replacement.

Caçapa?

sorry, i shoul dhave said and old DECENT head.

cacapa and ronnie johnson dont quite fit that bill.

Cacapa was class. International. Captained Lyon. Highly rated in his day.

Signed him far too late and wasn't up to much. Spent too much time injured. Huge wages for what we actually got out of him.

Complete waste of money.

IF we sign Sol Campbell then I hope he does well, but we ARE taking a big risk. He may well be another Cacapa (or Geremi, or Butt, or Duff...).

It's nowhere near the risk those were because we would only be paying him Championship wages.

And we only have championship income and a championship budget. It's all relative.

Yeah, so there's no problem. When we brought in Duff, Geremi etc we were paying them Champions League wages whilst scraping around the bottom half of the table, eventually being relegated.

If Campbell's coming here, he clearly isn't asking for ridiculous wages. Ashley would never sanction the move if so.

Might not be an Ashley signing  :pow:

Someone is sanctioning incomings and outgoings. We don't know who it is but we know that one of the major factors in whatever move, is the wages involved. We wouldn't be signing Campbell if he was after megabucks.

That's if we're even signing him of course. I'd love it if we did tbh; i know he's old now but he's one of my favourite ever non-Newcastle players. It'd only be really worth it if Taylor stayed though. He'd be an okay replacement but that'd be a super partnership in this league if you ask me. :(

So what kind of wage do people think he'll be on?

I think he will be on a basic 30,000 a week with a promotion bonus . But would he accept it?

Nobody wanted to answer me the other day when I asked what the average wage was in the Championship, but I'd wager £30k is well above even the highest earners. Don't think we're in a position to be offering him anything like that much.

I think he will be on a basic 30,000 a week with a promotion bonus . But would he accept it?

Nobody wanted to answer me the other day when I asked what the average wage was in the Championship, but I'd wager £30k is well above even the highest earners. Don't think we're in a position to be offering him anything like that much.

well to be fair how many championship clubs get as many in attendance as we did yesterday (and thats with all the off field shit too) plus theres the parachute money. 30k may be high by championship standards but if we get our wage bill to a sane level we can afford to pay more than your average championship club

well to be fair how many championship clubs get as many in attendance as we did yesterday (and thats with all the off field shit too) plus theres the parachute money. 30k may be high by championship standards but if we get our wage bill to a sane level we can afford to pay more than your average championship club

Well we might be able to afford a bit more but spending silly money is ultimately what is still killing us now. We shouldn't be paying Campbell very decent Premier League wages just because we can.

The last few pages on here have got me very depressed.

It is plain to see that many of us have learned absolutely nothing of the folly of our decline being hastened by the signing of players whose best years are behind them.

Young, hungry, up and coming players only from now on please.

It is plain to see that many of us have learned absolutely nothing of the folly of our decline being hastened by the signing of players whose best years are behind them.

young and up and coming defenders will either cost you goals or cost you a lot.

Stability and experience is the key in defence

It's more important to have younger legs in midfield or up front. if there's one position where experience is useful it's the centre of defence.

That's a good point actually. The fact we were on the back foot for most of the games last season meant our defenders got tired because the ball just kept on coming back at them all game. In  this league, I'm hoping we're going to be on the front foot and dominating teams which should mean the back 4 is under less pressure. Harper barely had to touch the ball for long periods on Saturday and Taylor(s) and Enrique could bomb on and get involved in attack.

Campbell might just be up to it. :)

It's nowhere near the risk those were because we would only be paying him Championship wages.

And we only have championship income and a championship budget. It's all relative.

We really don't, I'd be very surprised if any Championship side has half our income this year.  Of course we also still have a ludicrous wage bill.  Still as long as we only pay him around £20k a week I don't see any risk.

Guest The Libertine

the players and fans would respect him enough for him to be the captain from the off.

also, "Campbell made an un-credited appearance in Guy Ritchie's film Snatch, as a bouncer at an un-licenced boxing fight"

Guest GAMMELL

the players and fans would respect him enough for him to be the captain from the off.

also, "Campbell made an un-credited appearance in Guy Ritchie's film Snatch, as a bouncer at an un-licenced boxing fight"

:lol: :lol: Spot on

Guest ObaStar

We had higher attendance than all of the premier league games on Saturday except for Chelsea home, and Everton who only had 3k more than us. Says something bout this club.

:lol: :lol: Spot on

Thought he was on the door with the Irish boxer (name escapes me) for the rigged poker game at the boxing club?