RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

At this point I'd be happy just to see Ashley gone.

I'm not even concerned with competing with the Arsenals, Chelseas, and Liverpools. That was years ago and as far as I'm concerned might as well be years in the future.

I'd just like to see us hold onto our best players, hire a few Championship-capable players, hire a decent manager, and focus on winning promotion back to the Premiership. That's all. Ashely gone. Keep Taylor and Enrique. A few warm bodies and a decent manager. Is that too much to ask?

No i think its a very sensible approach, couldnt agree more. There will always be some who will expect Citeh esque spending but they are knackas

I'd be happy to sign 3-4 players, get promoted, stay in the division and then build season on season.  I would quite like to go out and spend 200m ala man city but the turnover of managers with that model would send us mental again.  I just want stability and a manager here for 3-5 years.

Dear Redheugh.

Hiya Lee (Ryder)  :whistle:

I thought the same thing.

Not getting my hopes up too much. I want something sorted soon like most people, but I am not convinced yet about American bidders because of this Sheard characters past record.

Ok then, if the rumours are true, Lerner is pretty much the worlds most perfect chairman. Glad we sorted that one out.

Too early to say. Hasn't hit a rough spot yet and Villa have done reasonably well for a couple of seasons (not as well as we did with crap owners though), but even now they're getting lower crowds than we are with all that's going on at our club, and the supporters who do turn up boo their players after conceding a couple of goals.

Their debt (to him) is larger than ours was and it has all been spent on "trophy" players, not on stadium expansions or new training grounds/academy facilities for example. Exactly the sort of short termism our last lot were accused of but on a bigger (more expensive) scale. Their wage bill will have shot up in the last couple of years, but their turnover is still a lot less than ours was in the premiership. I doubt he'll be funding them as significantly in the next couple of years unless they manage to get in the CL. Let's see how he copes when the supporters get restless because they have a couple of poor seasons, they don't spend £10m+ every Summer, he has to get a new manager in, or even just because they are only getting into the UEFA cup every other year.

He's certainly pretty good at PR though, and that's what counts most for some.

Guest Wally_McFool

Dear Redheugh.

Hiya Lee (Ryder)  :whistle:

I thought the same thing.

Steady on... you'll be getting referred to as "these people" or as a Mackem for thinking that.  ;D

Guest WashyGeordie

regarding the Sheard-led bid:

And the group who claim they intend to purchase the club will then aim to deploy the strategic holding company the Omnicom Group to rebrand the Magpies on a global scale.

was just on their website, Their companies promote the likes of Adidas, Apple, Mars, McDonald's, PlayStation and Visa.. cant be bad like  :cheesy:

Sounds like we'll have better home game radio adverts, the "do it for the lads, let's raise the roof etc" one's... :snod:

Dunno if they still do it for the CCC, but they did for the PL matches.

Guest icemanblue

How does redheugh know when these stories are going to be broken by the Chronicle if he just works for a legal firm?

Perhaps, stick with me here, he... doesn't?

How does redheugh know when these stories are going to be broken by the Chronicle if he just works for a legal firm?

I'd guess he just knows someone in the press and is pretending to be more ITK than he actually is.

Ok then, if the rumours are true, Lerner is pretty much the worlds most perfect chairman. Glad we sorted that one out.

Too early to say. Hasn't hit a rough spot yet and Villa have done reasonably well for a couple of seasons (not as well as we did with crap owners though), but even now they're getting lower crowds than we are with all that's going on at our club, and the supporters who do turn up boo their players after conceding a couple of goals.

Their debt (to him) is larger than ours was and it has all been spent on "trophy" players, not on stadium expansions or new training grounds/academy facilities for example. Exactly the sort of short termism our last lot were accused of but on a bigger (more expensive) scale. Their wage bill will have shot up in the last couple of years, but their turnover is still a lot less than ours was in the premiership. I doubt he'll be funding them as significantly in the next couple of years unless they manage to get in the CL. Let's see how he copes when the supporters get restless because they have a couple of poor seasons, they don't spend £10m+ every Summer, he has to get a new manager in, or even just because they are only getting into the UEFA cup every other year.

he should expect it to get really rough if they drop like a stone from being in a great psoition and hocks the club up to the hilt and looks to do build even more debt  they'll struggle to finance with managers everyone knows will not cut it.

see what i did there ?

At this point I'd be happy just to see Ashley gone.

I'm not even concerned with competing with the Arsenals, Chelseas, and Liverpools. That was years ago and as far as I'm concerned might as well be years in the future.

How expectations have fallen . . . I cannot even begin to think about the possibility of ever agreeing with thoughts like that!!

Amazing!

I don't want to get involved in the old board stuff in that post, we've been there once or twice before  :lol:      but will just comment on Lerner's funding of Villa. From the latest available accounts his loan stood at £75 million, but he had also stuck in a further £50 million as share capital. Investing funds in a football club by way of share capital is pretty unusual these days, in fact I don't think any other new owner has done it.

Also a bit puzzled about the PR comment - can you explain? Maybe I have missed something because my take on Lerner is that he keeps a pretty low profile.   

Guest antz1uk

I don't want to get involved in the old board stuff in that post, we've been there once or twice before  :lol:      but will just comment on Lerner's funding of Villa. From the latest available accounts his loan stood at £75 million, but he had also stuck in a further £50 million as share capital. Investing funds in a football club by way of share capital is pretty unusual these days, in fact I don't think any other new owner has done it.

Also a bit puzzled about the PR comment - can you explain? Maybe I have missed something because my take on Lerner is that he keeps a pretty low profile.   

for a start they gave away their shirt sponsorship for nothing to a childrens foundation for 2yrs, thats not bad PR

for a start they gave away their shirt sponsorship for nothing to a childrens foundation for 2yrs, thats not bad PR

OK most clubs do their bit for local charities and it gets in the press, but fair enough.