RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Poll added.

Money or knowledge?

Who has the knowledge?

Well it's more the knowledge of the club and stuff, which Moat has as a supporter.

It's alright saying we want someone cold who can make tough business decisions but isn't that what Ashley has done? The cost-cutting, the backing of his system over Keegan, the hands-off running from London thing? I seem to remember lots of complaints about his ideas.

I want the best possible owners, don't get me wrong, and there's no guarantee that Moat is any better than the Yanks. What he does have though is knowledge of the club, the area and (presumably) what is needed.

Like Shepherd?

Don't the loaded Yanks have footballing knowledge as well?  Like Kezman said earlier in this thread, we need someone who's going to be ruthless rather than have this supporter attitude.  Might be better to have people running the club that are more interested in making us a footballing outfit rather than being fans - sentiment can get in the way of business rather easily, especially in football.

the thing is, the last thing we need is another armchair football fan from the UK.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you think you can't be a real fan unless you actually go the matches.

I'd rather Newcastle be doing well as opposed to worrying about "armchair" fans.

Poll added.

Money or knowledge?

Who has the knowledge?

Well it's more the knowledge of the club and stuff, which Moat has as a supporter.

It's alright saying we want someone cold who can make tough business decisions but isn't that what Ashley has done? The cost-cutting, the backing of his system over Keegan, the hands-off running from London thing? I seem to remember lots of complaints about his ideas.

I want the best possible owners, don't get me wrong, and there's no guarantee that Moat is any better than the Yanks. What he does have though is knowledge of the club, the area and (presumably) what is needed.

Like Shepherd?

If you like.

We need an owner with the financial backing to appoint a proper football manager who will come in and sort out the mess with decent transfers. The window for that to happen is getting impossibly small. We'll only get back into the Premiership if we get our on-field situation sorted out, and for that I think we need a manager with knowledge of the game, not knowledge of Newcastle United specifically.

Moat can have all the knowledge and good intentions in the world, but if he doesn't have the means, then he will be a disaster for this club.

The owner's #1 priority will be to give backing to a good manager, who will make his own decisions and be supported for at least a few years.

Don't the loaded Yanks have footballing knowledge as well?  Like Kezman said earlier in this thread, we need someone who's going to be ruthless rather than have this supporter attitude.  Might be better to have people running the club that are more interested in making us a footballing outfit rather than being fans - sentiment can get in the way of business rather easily, especially in football.

the thing is, the last thing we need is another armchair football fan from the UK.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you think you can't be a real fan unless you actually go the matches.

I'd rather Newcastle be doing well as opposed to worrying about "armchair" fans.

I think you've misread my point somehow matey. We're in this position because of a bloke who probably watched MOTD once a fortnight and compounded with his arrogance, thought he knew how to own and run a football club, when clearly he didn't have the first f***ing clue.

In an ideal world the new owner will have a passion for football, fair enough. But more importantly be willing to defer completely to the experts instead of relying on armchair knowledge to construct (what Ashley considered) an ideal structure.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm very comfortable with Moat taking over, while at the same time being excited about the prospect of the yanks taking over

Moat offers stability, the chance to build again, albeit at a slow rate. He offers comfort in the fact he is a geordie and a true fan of the club who will have the clubs, and not the almighty pounds interest at heart.

The yanks offer the golden ticket if all is meant to be believed. But we have already been bitten because of our eyes being too big for our belly, so scepticism will be overriding.

I'm not sure, but voted yanks!

I'm very comfortable with Moat taking over, while at the same time being excited about the prospect of the yanks taking over

Moat offers stability, the chance to build again, albeit at a slow rate. He offers comfort in the fact he is a geordie and a true fan of the club who will have the clubs, and not the almighty pounds interest at heart.

The yanks offer the golden ticket if all is meant to be believed. But we have already been bitten because of our eyes being too big for our belly, so scepticism will be overriding.

Good post, pretty much sums up my feelings too. :thup:

Good post, pretty much sums up my feelings too. :thup:

And mine :thup:

Not so long back most were voting for the Malaysians a couple of days after the stories appeared in the press, now everyone is voting for the Americans - without having a clue what either of those parties would have brought (or will bring) to the table.

I just want a steady ship with some ambition thrown in, I'd vote for that.

I voted for the Americans.

I have nothing against Moat; it has taken him forever and a day to complete the sale.

I'd rather see an owner who can afford to a top flight club. Also, I'd rather see someone other than Shearer appointed as manager. I'd hope that the Americans have enough sense to appoint an experienced, proven manager to handle their investment.

Also a bit puzzled about the PR comment - can you explain? Maybe I have missed something because my take on Lerner is that he keeps a pretty low profile.   

for a start they gave away their shirt sponsorship for nothing to a childrens foundation for 2yrs, thats not bad PR

Yes that kind of thing, but more generally it's kind of accepted by Villa fans and neutrals that he's a great chairman, and comments like "he want's O'Neill to spend loads of money but he wont" are "common knowledge" . It may be true, but for now, for me, it's just great PR. Nothing wrong with that btw, just not something I'd personally give much credence to when labelling someone a perfect owner. Villa have achieved relatively little so far for the amount of money invested, and he's not been really tested with any hard decisions yet.

Jut heard there on SSN that Portsmouth went for 35 million pound.....Not bad considering we are looking for 100 with 40 in debt and down a division...

I can't imagine it would take that much time to make up that £65m difference at Newcastle through tickets, shirt sales, etc. if any prospective owner was serious about us.

Moat.  I'd rather the devil we know, or at least one who has been involved in the club and understands its problems.  It has nothing to do with local people, and more to do with trusting the motives of someone who has had a long term involvement with the club.  We can be reasonably sure he is serious.

Why did the Americans only get involved at the last possible minute?  Who are they?  How much money do they have?  Why this club?  Who gets appointed manager?  Why is a middling Yorkshire businessman like Sheard, with a history of false bids for Championship clubs, their front man?  How do the Chronicle not know the identity of the Americans, but do know the name of the PR firm they intend to use? 

I'd love for Larry Ellison, Paul Allen or whoever to take a random interest and buy the club.  But this all sounds far too good to be true. 

I'd rather see an owner who can afford to a top flight club. Also, I'd rather see someone other than Shearer appointed as manager. I'd hope that the Americans have enough sense to appoint an experienced, proven manager to handle their investment.

I agree with this as well.  I feel like the Shearer thing has moved on a bit and there is less of a chance of him being appointed which is probably the right course.  If we get a proper owner in I think we can get a good manager in as well as we won't be in utter shambles and someone might fancy themselves a rebuilding.