RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's back up now:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6401553.ece

Shearer is committed to restoring Newcastle’s fortunes and remains optimistic that a positive outcome will emerge in the next few days. There is a feeling within his camp that Newcastle with Shearer in situ represent a more attractive proposition for investors than the opposite; it is believed that broad agreement with Ashley has been reached over transfer funds, although Shearer may have to compromise on his request for a £2.5 million salary.

When I first heard about Ashley wanting to sell last night, it left me with mixed emotions. Although the long-term future of the club is more important, at this moment in time, I'm only concerned with the short-term. I was hoping that Ashley would keep Shearer on for the time being, allowing him to do what he needs to do with the squad and would also back him in the transfer market (whether that be him actually giving him money to spend or allowing Shearer to use any transfer fees for players we offload).

I've left the most significant paragraph from the Caulkin article, in my opinion anyway, above. This to me suggests that maybe something along those lines has actually been agreed between Ashley and Shearer. If it has, it would be brilliant. Shearer cracks on with the rebuilding job, working with funds of some sort whilst Ashley within (hopefully) a month or so is gone, but with the squad looking in hugely better shape for next season.

One paper todays says Shearer is off and has no plans now of taking the job, while another says he will take the job no matter who buys the club.

:lol:

Speculation reporting you gota love it.

I've just heard a rumour that Ingvar Kamprad is one of the two interested parties in taken over the club.

I really doubt it, but do hope so.

I only heard from a text from a friend who works at St James', I doubt it's true, but we can all live in hope.

So do I :lol:

I don't think an 83 year old Swede with a semi-on for flat pack furniture would be interested in us.

He's also a a very, very cheap man. There have been loads of articles about him here in Sweden where he tells about his unglamorous lifestyle and how he NEVER wastes money. But on the other hand, if he's starting to become senile and is willing to hand over say half of his 22 billion USD wealth to NUFC than all would be dandy I'd say. :)

I've just heard a rumour that Ingvar Kamprad is one of the two interested parties in taken over the club.

I only heard from a text from a friend of a friend who works at St James', I doubt it's true, but we can all live in hope.

Would be a catastrophe, he's one of the tightest men on the planet.

I only heard from a text from a friend of a friend who works at St James', I doubt it's true, but we can all live in hope.

Would be a catastrophe, he's one of the tightest men on the planet.

Shame his wonky goods aren't a tight fit.

Good news if Ashley is willing to write off his loan to NUFC.

I must confess that I still want a new billionaire owner/s. We seem to be the only club who got bought by a shit billionaire (as far as investing in the actual squad goes). Better luck next time?

Please be sorted out quickly!

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/01/alan-shearer-still-keen-on-manager-job-despite-nufc-sale-plans-61634-23757350/

A senior United official said: “Mike does not want the £100m loan back, he just wants to sell up and get out of there. He has lost more than £150m and we have informed Keith Harris to find a buyer. We have been told there has been interest from a few groups already and so hopefully things will move along quickly.

“We are still hoping the issues with Alan can be resolved, but it is in the hands of the bankers now and we have to wait until they make a decision. They will decide whether they are acceptable within the financial constraints relegation has brought.” The Journal understands that former Newcastle chairman Freddie Shepherd is not involved with any of the groups who have approached Seymour Pierce, although he is still extremely keen to to be part of a takeover bid.

Hope that's true because:

If Shearer’s demands can not be met and he reluctantly walks away, Ashley is expected to once more turn to Joe Kinnear as an interim manager.

Kinnear – who filled the manager’s role for four months this season following the exit of Kevin Keegan before he was sent to hospital with heart trouble – has been recovering at home and will be given the job if a buy-out does not materialise in the next month.

:kinnear:

Fair play to him for writing the debt off, but he has to really, no one is going to buy a championship club for 80-100m thats also in 100m of debt, and hes only going to lose more money hanging onto it.

If we manage to get a decent owner in and we can bounce straight back up then we will be in a lot better state than we were when Ashley took over in terms of the financial state with no debt and the the huge earners gone. Its a bloody huge if though.

If Ashley is willing to write off the £100m loan as an apology to the fans then i'd want him to stay.

Can't see anyone else wanting to buy us doing something like that.

One hell of an apology if true.

Still hasn't sunk in for me that were playing Championship football next season, it probably won't until i see the table with us in it or the 1st game of the season.

By writing off the loan he's just making the club more attractive for someone to buy. I doubt anyone would be interested in the club if the loan was still to be paid back. Ashley doesnt really have much choice.

According to that post from Dave, it looks like the accepting of Shearer's demands is actually down to the banks and not Mike Ashley.

not really as ashley could put as much of his own cash in as he wants.

not sure why he's getting credit for giving up a 100m no-one even knows he's going to for sure yet

it's obviously just a matter of take 100m for the club now and write off 140m or keep ploughing on with something he's totally horrendous at and risk reducing his asset even further

put it in gamblers terms he was 240 down overall but could win 100 back and he's deciding whether to gamble that 100 or take it and run...if it was me personally i'd probably do the same

By writing off the loan he's just making the club more attractive for someone to buy. I doubt anyone would be interested in the club if the loan was still to be paid back. Ashley doesnt really have much choice.

Aye. He wants out, and he'd never sell a Championship club for £200m.

If Ashley is willing to write off the £100m loan as an apology to the fans then i'd want him to stay.

Still hasn't sunk in for me that were playing Championship football next season, it probably won't until i see the table with us in it or the 1st game of the season.

but hes not really doing it as a good will thing, if he wants to sell the club he HAS to write it off , as i said above no one will buy a championship club which needs 15-20m spent on the team to have a chance of promotion for 80m + 100m of debt, he asks for that price he wont sell it and his loss will keep growing, hes just taking the loss now as will only get worse for him.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/01/alan-shearer-still-keen-on-manager-job-despite-nufc-sale-plans-61634-23757350/

A senior United official said: Mike does not want the £100m loan back, he just wants to sell up and get out of there. He has lost more than £150m and we have informed Keith Harris to find a buyer. We have been told there has been interest from a few groups already and so hopefully things will move along quickly.

We are still hoping the issues with Alan can be resolved, but it is in the hands of the bankers now and we have to wait until they make a decision. They will decide whether they are acceptable within the financial constraints relegation has brought. The Journal understands that former Newcastle chairman Freddie Shepherd is not involved with any of the groups who have approached Seymour Pierce, although he is still extremely keen to to be part of a takeover bid.

Hope that's true because:

If Shearers demands can not be met and he reluctantly walks away, Ashley is expected to once more turn to Joe Kinnear as an interim manager.

Kinnear who filled the managers role for four months this season following the exit of Kevin Keegan before he was sent to hospital with heart trouble has been recovering at home and will be given the job if a buy-out does not materialise in the next month.

:kinnear:

Fucking hell, it's like time repeating itself :lol:

but hes not really doing it as a good will thing, if he wants to sell the club he HAS to write it off , as i said above no one will buy a championship club which needs 15-20m spent on the team to have a chance of promotion for 80m + 100m of debt, he asks for that price he wont sell it and his loss will keep growing, hes just taking the loss now as will only get worse for him.

You are probably right I just feel that the there would be parties interested even with the debt, but by scrapping it he's doing us a huge favour.

In fact say it does happen, and we get all the high earners off the wage bill financially the club will probably be stronger in the Championship than it has been limping on in the Premiership. Wiping out all of Freddies financial mistakes, now the next owner just has to wipe out Ashley's emotional/naive  decision making.

not sure why he's getting credit for giving up a 100m no-one even knows he's going to for sure yet

it's obviously just a matter of take 100m for the club now and write off 140m or keep ploughing on with something he's totally horrendous at and risk reducing his asset even further

put it in gamblers terms he was 240 down overall but could win 100 back and he's deciding whether to gamble that 100 or take it and run...if it was me personally i'd probably do the same

I agree with what a few people have suggested - he's found out via Shearer just what is required to get the club back up to where it should be and realised he can't (or won't be able to) do it.

He knows from the Keegan fallout that if he fucks Shearer off and gets Kinnear back then the fans will go fucking mental, and this time it might mean they don't turn up at games/renew season tickets. Now we're down anyway that would be our last decent revenue stream gone.

You are probably right I just feel that the there would be parties interested even with the debt, but by scrapping it he's doing us a huge favour.

In fact say it does happen, and we get all the high earners off the wage bill financially the club will probably be stronger in the Championship than it has been limping on in the Premiership. Wiping out all of Freddies financial mistakes, now the next owner just has to wipe out Ashley's emotional/naive  decision making.

yeah it does us both a favor, Ashley cant afford/wont spend any more money on the club so stick with him we are going no where fast,  at least the club is now available at a fair price and has no debt so anyone coming in who has a fair amount of cash and is willing to spend it has the chance to take the club forward alot faster.

Only applies if we return to the Premier League some time soon; ie within the next two years at the absolute maximum.

If we bounce straight back up with Shearer/a good manager in charge, a young, hungry squad on the pitch and stable finances off it, then all this MIGHT just have been worth it. Depending on where you saw the club headed under Shepherd of course.

Huge, huge 'if' though. So much so that it's not really worth considering until it happens IMO.

Only applies if we return to the Premier League some time soon; ie within the next two years at the absolute maximum.

If we bounce straight back up with Shearer/a good manager in charge, a young, hungry squad on the pitch and stable finances off it, then all this MIGHT just have been worth it. Depending on where you saw the club headed under Shepherd of course.

Huge, huge 'if' though. So much so that it's not really worth considering until it happens IMO.

I personally think we'd have gone in to administration under Shepherd, which would mean 10pts deduction and near enough relegation. I think we'd have a better squad with a highish profile manager and players still wanting to come for silly money but the bubble would have burst sooner or later.

I think we'll come straight back up, we've got a great defence for a championship side, lots of young talent ready to go, and hopefully some decent funds once the club get rid of the crap.

PS: Anyone heard out about Spurs wanting Duff? A fee would be great but just giving him away would be canny as well.

yeah it does us both a favor, Ashley cant afford/wont spend any more money on the club so stick with him we are going no where fast,  at least the club is now available at a fair price and has no debt so anyone coming in who has a fair amount of cash and is willing to spend it has the chance to take the club forward alot faster.

£100m for us debt free is an excellent price and just in sight of the Euro's when its rolled over its maximum.  >:D