The England Thread

Pilko

Can we stop the Glen Johnson bumming please? Exposed again.

He's a fucking amazing attacking full back. He is suspect defensively.

typical wing-back then

Pretty much. I am a lot happier we go with him than a more defensive option tbh.

He's a fucking amazing attacking full back. He is suspect defensively.

Suspect? He's a shambles, every goal England concede at the moment is due to his total inability to do his job and stop the left winger. At a World Cup, that will cost us. He is good going forward though against shit teams, fair play to him.

:thup:

Guest Stephen927

The first good team we come up against will absolutely rape our right side.

Well, maybe, but that's an unbelievable set of qualifying results we've put together. I'll celebrate that. Who would you rather have on the right?

I think it's the point that there is no one else.

Indeed.

The first good team we come up against will absolutely rape our right side.

Well, maybe, but that's an unbelievable set of qualifying results we've put together. I'll celebrate that. Who would you rather have on the right?

I think it's the point that there is no one else.

That may be Capello's idea - screw defending on the right, let's just attack.

He's a f***ing amazing attacking full back. He is suspect defensively.

Suspect? He's a shambles, every goal England concede at the moment is due to his total inability to do his job and stop the left winger. At a World Cup, that will cost us. He is good going forward though against s*** teams, fair play to him.

We had 3 chances to clear the ball after Johnson let the cross past him. He had more positive moments in this match than negative.

Suspect? He's a shambles, every goal England concede at the moment is due to his total inability to do his job and stop the left winger. At a World Cup, that will cost us. He is good going forward though against s*** teams, fair play to him.

We had 3 chances to clear the ball after Johnson let the cross past him. He had more positive moments in this match than negative.

If he does his job properly none of the 3 chances to clear matter.  His mistake was the key one.

If he does his job properly none of the 3 chances to clear matter.  His mistake was the key one.

I would say that the assistant referee's was the key one

I did get irritated by one aspect of the game, which I've noticed quite often in international matches. We seem wary of challenging opposition players and end up giving them a lot of space, because we know that they'll go down after the slightest physical contact. Capello has obviously got them playing with a lot of discipline, because I don't think we gave away any free kicks in dangerous positions.

At the other end of the pitch, we see Heskey getting hacked and pulled but still struggling to stay on his feet and therefore getting nothing. I'm not saying you should go down if you're not being fouled, but ffs if you are being fouled, go down. I don't think we're as canny as we should be. In games like tonight, it feels like we're playing to a different set of rules.

We've scored nine goals against Croatia. Yes they're a 'second tier' side when it comes to internationals, but the whole point is to firmly establish ourselves amongst the leaders of the pack and we've certainly done that under Capello. We've got a good shout at the World Cup next year, definitely; whilst we were barely in that second tier under McClaren.

I hope we don't take the foot of the gas now, not that i Capello would let us. Winning all of the qualifiers would certainly signal a statement of intent.

The future's looking pretty bright at the moment. I'm happy to say that the Italian chap has certainly rekindled my interest in the national side, and i only wish we had him when i was a 'proper' England fan. Got totally desensitised under McClaren and i don't think i'll ever properly be die-hard England again like i was a few years back (was gutted when we got knocked out by Portugal, for eg) - but it's certainly a bit more fun supporting the national side now.

I think that this excellent winning mentality that Capello has instilled will be the most important thing.

That, and the fact that some fairly poor teams are qualifying (South Africa, Slovakia [nearly], Ghana) give us a real chance of winning the thing for the first time in ages.

EDIT: Ghana aren't that bad actually, tbf.

Guest Roger Kint

I miss old Rooney he used to run at defenders and was so exciting to watch. Current Rooney spends too much time in midfield imho.

Doesnt current Rooney have 11 in his last 10 England games? Yeah its really affecting him ;D

When you look at the players coming through this really could be our best chance for a good 10-15 years to win something. We've got the players but more importantly we've got the manager. Still don't think we'll do it though. :laugh:

Hold on. Don't we say this every competition?