The England Thread

Pilko

Will Gerrard really be fit for next year? Or even good? I think we have to plan for not taking him to the tournament. I'd hope Cleverly even if it is very early for him.

I think Capello's thinking is that we have no incisive ability in midfield so we might as well try and be solid defensively there and hope Rooney and co can generate goals.

Well there are question marks against Gerrard's fitness, but time will tell. I saw him make a sub appearance recently and he looked okay. I think odds are he'll make it.

Cleverly was called up to the squad but I don't think Capello liked what he saw. He may or may not be ready once he has this season under his belt.

I don't think Capello's strategy will be defensive. If the right players are available, he'll give it a go. Whether the players will have the energy to respond is another matter.

See if enough of England demanded, say, John Carew as manager, do you think they'd make it happen?

I'm talking riots on the street, millions across the country rallying together to support the case for the Norwegian legend as manager.

Would be pretty funny.

Wayne Rooney to be left out by England in Euro 2012 build-up

Wayne Rooney will be left out of manager Fabio Capello's England starting line-up in the build-up to Euro 2012 after he was sent off in Montenegro on Friday.

The striker, 25, will definitely miss his side's first game in the tournament in Poland and Ukraine after kicking Miodrag Dzudovic in the 2-2 draw in Podgorica that confirmed qualification.

And the ban could be extended once European football's governing body Uefa has studied referee Wolfgang Stark's report of the incident, despite Capello and the Football Association hoping Rooney will miss only the opener.

Capello's preparations for England's campaign have been complicated by the absence of his most influential player and he hinted he may exclude the Manchester United striker from his plans for upcoming friendlies to study alternatives before next summer.

The Italian even suggested he might be prepared to leave Rooney out of games at Euro 2012 if his replacements are successful, although this is an unlikely scenario.

He will definitely miss the visit of World Cup holders Spain to Wembley next month, with Capello confirming: "Rooney will not play against Spain - absolutely. I want to test new players, a different style and a new different movement, something different.

"Sometimes he will come on at half-time but not from the start. He will not start. We need to prepare the first 11 who will start the Euros."

And on the possibility of Rooney actually being sidelined for games once the tournament began, he said: "If they [the other players] are good, they will play. In my life as a manager I have put a lot of players on the bench. I always decided who was the best player for me at that moment, at every moment."

Fulham's Bobby Zamora, an unused substitute in Podgorica, is likely to get his chance to stake his claim before Euro 2012 after Darren Bent was preferred on Friday.

Manchester United's Danny Welbeck, Liverpool striker Andy Carroll and Tottenham's Jermain Defoe will also get a chance - while emerging Chelsea youngster Daniel Sturridge is also in Capello's thoughts.

Capello added: "I have got a lot of forwards at this moment, really good forwards, and I need to find the best solution. It will be really interesting because two players I did not select are playing really well.

"I saw the game that Jermain Defoe played against Arsenal and he played really well, ran a lot, pressed a lot. Sturridge is the same. I need to find the solution for the first game, or two games, that Rooney will not play.

"I also wanted to see Zamora and Andy Carroll. This was Andy's third or fourth time with us. Zamora is an interesting player and we need to see him play against some important teams. We will do that."

Capello is hoping Rooney's ban will not be extended. He said: "I hope it's one. I think it will be."

STRIKEFORCE WITHOUT ROONEY

Darren Bent: 11 appearances, 4 goals

Jermain Defoe: 46 apps, 15 goals

Danny Welbeck: 2 apps, 0 goals

Bobby Zamora: 1 app, 0 goals

Andy Carroll: 3 apps, 1 goal

Peter Crouch: 42 apps, 22 goals

Gabriel Agbonlahor: 3 apps, 0 goals

Daniel Sturridge: 0 apps

Guess this is good news (willingness to try something new and all that; preparing to leave Rooney out if his "replacement" does well).

Guest BooBoo

I'd respect Crapello a lot more if he left out Rooney entirely for the Euros, especially if he's going to miss two games. His record in international tournaments is poor.

I'd respect Crapello a lot more if he left out Rooney entirely for the Euros, especially if he's going to miss two games. His record in international tournaments is poor.

Leave the only player anywhere near world class at home.  :lol:

Don't be silly. Nobody sane would leave him out even if he does miss two games or the entire group stage for that matter.

We'd have got further a long time ago if Capello had been willing to leave out media favourite players who weren't pulling their weight a long time ago, but I suspect as much due to FA politicking etc as anything that's never going to happen.

For friendlies should have happened a long time ago anyway, give everyone else a chance, everyone knows Rooney's good when he wants to be. (not for England though).

We'd have got further a long time ago if Capello had been willing to leave out media favourite players who weren't pulling their weight a long time ago, but I suspect as much due to FA politicking etc as anything that's never going to happen.

For friendlies should have happened a long time ago anyway, give everyone else a chance, everyone knows Rooney's good when he wants to be. (not for England though).

the media reaction to Lampard being left on the bench last time out gives some in dictation of the kind of reaction there would be if someone like him or Gerrard etc were left out of even a friendly, not healthy the obsession they build up with certain players

Someone who speaks English and will keep it simple.

Step forward Big Sam Allardyce!

i'd have that if he got tarred and feathered and banished to europe like mclaren did (before he came back and made a mess at forest)

i've enjoyed match of the day this season so far without allardyce blathering on

Capello considering an offer from Russian league according to talksport sources - someone at the FA seems to have leaked it to them.

If he does go could Redknapp end up leaving Spurs mid season? If that situation did materialise I don't think Redknapp would hesitate tbh. Could end up leaving Spurs in a bit of a fix.