The England Thread

Pilko

I'm struggling to grasp how else the rankings should be calculated. By how highly people rate their players? The only way it can be done is on results and success in major tournaments over a recent time period.

It's not an exact science but looking at the current top 20 there isn't much wrong with it. France and Argentina will overtake us sooner rather than later and then it will be just about spot on.

How else are the rankings to be calculated other than on results? They finished 4th in the World Cup, won the 2nd hardest continental tournament without defeat (arguably not far behind the Euros) and have generally been very consistent recently. If they win their game in hand they will also top South American qualifying.

The only team that deserves to be ahead of them on the rankings is Spain and they are.

I don't disagree with how the rankings are calculated. It's that I don't agree with the rankings as a meaningful way of comparing the qualities of various sides. I know Uruguay are a good side - a very good side indeed - but I don't believe that they are the 2nd best team in the world.

Just like how England are 6th. I'd like to think minimal value is placed on these "rankings".

How else are the rankings to be calculated other than on results? They finished 4th in the World Cup, won the 2nd hardest continental tournament without defeat (arguably not far behind the Euros) and have generally been very consistent recently. If they win their game in hand they will also top South American qualifying.

The only team that deserves to be ahead of them on the rankings is Spain and they are.

I don't disagree with how the rankings are calculated. It's that I don't agree with the rankings as a meaningful way of comparing the qualities of various sides. I know Uruguay are a good side - a very good side indeed - but I don't believe that they are the 2nd best team in the world.

Just like how England are 6th. I'd like to think minimal value is placed on these "rankings".

Does anybody place value on them though? They're the only form of ranking possible other than to rank how good a team is on perception of the quality of their players, which is fair enough but purely a subjective thing.

Looking at the current top 20 I don't think there's much wrong with the rankings at all. They are there to judge the level teams are currently performing at and generally I think they're a fair representation. Once France's recent run is reflected by breaking the top 10 they'll be near enough spot on.

I know they have, man. It's still ludicrous, as are the rankings generally of course.

Didn't they win the Copa America? Seems just fine to me.

Aye, unbeaten in 17 games too (stretching the Copa and qualifying). Will top qualifying if they win their game in hand against Peru.

They shouldn't include friendlies and I think they do. that's my only gripe.

True. It's hard to gauge how competitive a friendly is, the odd one can be even more competitive than qualifying games whereas many are glorified kickabouts.

Euro 2012 - Paper Round: Fears grow over Terry

John Terry’s chances of playing against France are in the balance, according to the back pages.

The Daily Mirror warns that the central defender is a serious doubt after only managing one light training session in the past two days after a hamstring problem surface during the friendly against Belgium.

With England meeting France on Monday in their Group D opener, time is running out for the defender to prove his fitness.

Terry has become a key component of the England squad, especially in the light of a spate of injuries that have robbed Roy Hodgson of central defenders and experienced players.

Terry’s defensive partner at Chelsea Gary Cahill has already been ruled out of the tournament this week with a broken jaw, while the squad has also been shorn of veterans Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry in recent weeks.

There will be pressure on Hodgson to play Terry regardless, but in another twist, the Daily Star claim that if Terry does line up against France, he could well rule himself out of the rest of the tournament.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07062012/58/euro-2012-paper-round-fears-grow-terry.html

Error to pick Terry anyway really, he's average now and he's also probably a major part of the reason the likes of Ferdinand, Lennon and Richards aren't there.

That's ridiculous. I'm not a fan of Terry but to say 3 black players weren't picked because of him is sensationalism at its extreme.

Guest neesy111

It's amazing how 1 player (Terry) has caused so many problems for the England team in recent years.  A stronger football hierarchy would had cast him off from the national scene.

It's amazing how 1 player (Terry) has caused so many problems for the England team in recent years.  A stronger football hierarchy would had cast him off from the national scene.

He's done us a favour with Bridge tbh.

I can understand if he does but has Defoe pulled out of the squad entirely or is he taking a few days away to sort things out?

Euro 2012 - Defoe flies home from England squad

Jermain Defoe has returned home to England following the death of his father.

The Tottenham striker will return to the Euro 2012 squad in due course, the FA confirmed in a brief statement, and as a result England manager Roy Hodgson will not call up a replacement.

Defoe's father died overnight on Wednesday.

England arrived at their base in Krakow, Poland yesterday, ahead of their opening game against France on Monday.

Whether Defoe would return in time for that fixture is unclear at this stage, but his absence would leave England with Andy Carroll and Danny Welbeck as their only fit and available strikers for the opener.

Defoe has 47 caps and 15 goals to his name for England.

"We would ask all media to respect Jermain and his family’s privacy at this difficult time," the FA added.

Spurs also extended their sympathies towards their striker, releasing a statement which read: "Everyone at the club sends their sincere condolences to Jermain and his family."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07062012/58/euro-2012-defoe-flies-home-england-squad.html

He should have been dumped after the Bridge issue came to light. He's been a divisive factor ever since.

So what are we left with for France?

Hart

Johnson  Jagielka  Lescott    Cole

Wal/Ox    Gerrard  Parker  Downing

Young

Carroll

?

Guest Roger Kint

Wow, feel bad for Defoe. Not the best preperation that :(

That read like 'fuck losing his father what about the bloody France game' at first