The England Thread

Pilko

Is it just me or is almost everyone with an R in their name being left out of the England squad or withdrawn with injury?

HaRt, GReen, Rooney, TeRRy, HendeRson, GeRRaRd, MilneR, CaRRoll... enough 'R's still in there. :lol:

Error to pick Terry anyway really, he's average now and he's also probably a major part of the reason the likes of Ferdinand, Lennon and Richards aren't there.

That's ridiculous. I'm not a fan of Terry but to say 3 black players weren't picked because of him is sensationalism at its extreme.

I didn't say that.

What I meant was that Hodgson would be (even subconsciously) looking for the most united squad possible, and obviously sees Terry as undroppable.

Error to pick Terry anyway really, he's average now and he's also probably a major part of the reason the likes of Ferdinand, Lennon and Richards aren't there.

That's ridiculous. I'm not a fan of Terry but to say 3 black players weren't picked because of him is sensationalism at its extreme.

I didn't say that.

What I meant was that Hodgson would be (even subconsciously) looking for the most united squad possible, and obviously sees Terry as undroppable.

That sounds exactly like what Incognito suggested you were saying. Ridiculous.

I didn't say that.

???

You're living on a cloud if you think "footballing reasons" were the genuine ones for Ferdinand's absence like imo. Just saying "black players" is understating it when one of them is the brother of the bloke that Terry is up in court for racially abusing in a month's time.

Terry wears his heart on his sleeve on the pitch, but he's a cunt and has been a negative for England for years now. Like many of the other stone-cold cunts in the national set-up.

I didn't say that.

???

You've basically said three black players haven't been selected because of Terry. Ferdinand hasn't been selected because of Terry, that I have no doubt about, but Lennon and Richards too? Not a chance.

Terry could be out you say? Good, he's another player who's been declining and I really think having him in the team is more of a detriment than a benefit (he did make quite a few mistakes this season while playing for Chelsea).

I have faith in Jagielka and Lescott.

I didn't say that.

???

You've basically said three black players haven't been selected because of Terry. Ferdinand hasn't been selected because of Terry, that I have no doubt about, but Lennon and Richards too? Not a chance.

O0 Exactly what I believed Ian meant.

Guest Howaythetoon

Terry's still a great defender. Don't kid yourself.

He's a great Premier League defender but at international level he's extremely average. He lacks tactical discipline, he lacks technical ability, he lacks pace and he lacks all-round awareness.

If its a battle between him and a burly centre-forward with similar traits, i.e. lack of pace, tactical discipline and tecnnical ability, he is a beast. Likewise when crosses are flung in or the backs are to the wall. In the strictest sense, he is a very good defender, but he's an average footballer and at this level against the better sides you need a good defender who is also a good footballer. See Carvalho for example or even an old Chelsea defender, Leboeuf. He could defend but he was also a very good footballer.

Lescott is much better than Terry.

He's a great Premier League defender but at international level he's extremely average. He lacks tactical discipline, he lacks technical ability, he lacks pace and he lacks all-round awareness.

If its a battle between him and a burly centre-forward with similar traits, i.e. lack of pace, tactical discipline and tecnnical ability, he is a beast. Likewise when crosses are flung in or the backs are to the wall. In the strictest sense, he is a very good defender, but he's an average footballer and at this level against the better sides you need a good defender who is also a good footballer. See Carvalho for example or even an old Chelsea defender, Leboeuf. He could defend but he was also a very good footballer.

I was with you all the way until the last line.

Lescott got found out massively in the Champions League.

The argument about him lacking technical ability doesn't wash in 2012, he's no Colo but he'd developed himself into a fine user of the ball.

As for discipline and awareness, righto.

Guest Howaythetoon

Lescott is a very good all-rounder. He's not an outstanding defensive defender if you like but his pace, reading and general footballing ability makes him, for me, the better option, especially at international level.

Lescott is a very good all-rounder. He's not an outstanding defensive defender if you like but his pace, reading and general footballing ability makes him, for me, the better option, especially at international level.

I think he got found out in the Champions League and I think the same will happen in international competition.

Guest Howaythetoon

The argument about him lacking technical ability doesn't wash in 2012, he's no Colo but he'd developed himself into a fine user of the ball.

As for discipline and awareness, righto.

I disagree, he can play it short and simple yes, but anything above and beyond that and he will look long 9 times out of 10. He is very much your typical Premier League centre-back in that sense.

As for discipline and awareness.... at international level the game is much slower and more technical and Terry for me struggles. He cannot cope with movement, pace and indeed technical skill, not as well as you would want from your centre-back at this level anyway. He will go walk abouts too trying to be the hero or all action type man and in general, struggles with a mor tactical approach.

Again, go toe to toe with him in a physical duel or throw crosses into the box and he will dominate and come out on top because he's that kind of defender and to his credit, he's probably the best at it in the way Shearer was the best at good old fashioned centre-forward play for example.

We have better footballers at CB than Terry, Lescott, Richards, even Cahill who can defend like Terry if you like.

Its a shame Rio is knackered these days, he was an all-rounder and a genuine world-class centre-back and indeed footballer in general.

Terry has only ever been a world-class defender when it comes to defending but an average footballer and again, at this level, you have to be capable of playing football, be you a centre-back or a striker. If you can't you'll get found out. For me Terry has always looked average for England.