The England Thread

Pilko

Disagree with them being far more creative. They looked a bit nippier with the ball but in terms of carving out proper chances? They hardly had many more than us. We played conservatively but smartly and got a satisfactory result. The onus is now, as you say, going out and getting 4 or more points from out other 2 games against sides who probably will try to frustrate us.

That was because the exact reasons he mentioned.... Benzema dropping deep and no one taking up the space he leaves so it will easy to close the door on them.

France's problem was'nt creativity it was having no vocal point in the box because Benzema was always dropping fair too deep and no took up the space he left.

If France are smart they will bring Giroud in for the next game and drop Benzema a little deeper if not then Ben Arfa they need someone capable of taking up the space Benzema leaves.

In any case Malouda needs to go as he was just a passenger and offers nothing.

Yeah Sweden needing a win will help us no doubt, still don't think it'll be convincing mind, our record against them is awful.

No reason to dwell on that, that was different England sides against different Swedish sides, it has no bearing on this match. The only fear is Sweden nicking an early goal and then us having to chase the game.

Disagree with them being far more creative. They looked a bit nippier with the ball but in terms of carving out proper chances? They hardly had many more than us. We played conservatively but smartly and got a satisfactory result. The onus is now, as you say, going out and getting 4 or more points from out other 2 games against sides who probably will try to frustrate us.

That was because the exact reasons he mentioned.... Benzema dropping deep and no one taking up the space he leaves so it will easy to close the door on them.

France's problem was'nt creativity it was having no vocal point in the box because Benzema was always dropping fair too deep and no took up the space he left.

If France are smart they will bring Giroud in for the next game and drop Benzema a little deeper if not then Ben Arfa they need someone capable of taking up the space Benzema leaves.

In any case Malouda needs to go as he was just a passenger and offers nothing.

True, I agree that a key reason they weren't creating chances was because of how preposterously deep Benzema was coming.

On a side note Malouda was dogshit, offered absolutely nothing. How he got in the side ahead of Menez/Ben Arfa is beyond me.

I initially thought it was because he's a midfielder while Menez/Ben Arfa are forwards and Blanc wanted better work rate etc etc but he was a complete ghost and offered anything and besides Nasri seems to be the playmaker and plays like a midfielder anyway.

If France want to achieve what there talent should in all rights let them achieve then Ben Arfa or Giroud should come in IMO.

Fucking good result. deffo would have taken that before the game. And jesus some of you over hyped France in the run up to this tournament. Hodgson played it well, secured a point from our most difficult game. Win against Sweden and were through imo.

On to the next one.

France were absolutely terrible. They looked like a team that has failed to win a match in a major tournament for six years. Why did Blanc not change anything for 80 minutes? Why is Malouda anywhere near a team that is gifted with several athletic wide players. Do not forget that his form was so poor in the season that Chelsea preferred to start a leftback with no continental experience to playing Malouda in the final. I also question why Giroud could not get on the pitch. The numerous crosses did nothing unless Alou Diarra happened to be in the box.

England aren't bad, but they are not a good side, either. They have to hope they can survive against Sweden, because Rooney is the central point of the team.

Happy with the result - defensively we were alright, attacking we were shite. Think a better side or possibly France on another day would have beaten us though.

genuine question, how many sides in this competition do people think are better than france?

Happy with the result - defensively we were alright, attacking we were s****. Think a better side or possibly France on another day would have beaten us though.

genuine question, how many sides in this competition do people think are better than france?

Aye -  fair point. There's not many. Don't think France were at their best today though.

I'd say Germany, Netherlands, Spain are probably the only 3.

Happy with the result - defensively we were alright, attacking we were s****. Think a better side or possibly France on another day would have beaten us though.

Aye -  fair point. There's not many. Don't think France were at their best today though.

On initial reaction I'd agree with those 3 but you look back at their performances in their first games - were you that impressed with any of them? :dontknow:

Who knows, could be a more open tournament than people think. This would benefit us.

Guest neesy111

England looked better than people many thought.

France were worse ran people thought.

The game met in the middle.

France were absolutely terrible. They looked like a team that has failed to win a match in a major tournament for six years. Why did Blanc not change anything for 80 minutes? Why is Malouda anywhere near a team that is gifted with several athletic wide players. Do not forget that his form was so poor in the season that Chelsea preferred to start a leftback with no continental experience to playing Malouda in the final. I also question why Giroud could not get on the pitch. The numerous crosses did nothing unless Alou Diarra happened to be in the box.

England aren't bad, but they are not a good side, either. They have to hope they can survive against Sweden, because Rooney is the central point of the team.

Couldn't agree more. Thought France were awful. Not being talked about much in the media either.

Honestly not sure they will get out of the group if Blanc persists with this team through the remaining games.

As you say it is astonishing that the likes of Menez and Ben Arfa are on the bench and Malouda starts.

Can't imagine what the hell Blanc is thinking.

On initial reaction I'd agree with those 3 but you look back at their performances in their first games - were you that impressed with any of them? :dontknow:

Who knows, could be a more open tournament than people think. This would benefit us.

Aye, that's a fair point. I wouldn't mind seeing the two host nations get through and do okay, and would quite like to see Denmark get through their group. Thoroughly enjoyed the passion the Ukrainians showed tonight when they won.

If I'm honest, I think there's a lot of hype about our performance from the media when really both sides looked very average. No doubt tomorrows papers will say we can win this, etc and the usual ridiculous expectations will return.

Couldn't agree more. Thought France were awful. Not being talked about much in the media either.

Honestly not sure they will get out of the group if Blanc persists with this team through the remaining games.

As you say it is astonishing that the likes of Menez and Ben Arfa are on the bench and Malouda starts.

I think they will make it through because of the sheer amount of quality they have in the team, but they had similar issues in 2008 and 2010 that proved fatal. The defence is an issue as well, imo. I have no faith in Mexes or Evra. Alou Diarra was rather poor all season as well. Quite a weapon in the air, but he is not what he was some years ago.

Btw, Kaka, what do you make of this madness Keshi is pulling? It clearly isn't working :lol: I am happy for some players based in Nigeria to get some much needed exposure and experience, but I really would prefer we didn't try this in actual World Cup Qualifiers. I hope he brings the real players back sooner than later.

I think they will make it through because of the sheer amount of quality they have in the team, but they had similar issues in 2008 and 2010 that proved fatal. The defence is an issue as well, imo. I have no faith in Mexes or Evra. Alou Diarra was rather poor all season as well. Quite a weapon in the air, but he is not what he was some years ago.

Btw, Kaka, what do you make of this madness Keshi is pulling? It clearly isn't working :lol: I am happy for some players based in Nigeria to get some much needed exposure and experience, but I really would prefer we didn't try this in actual World Cup Qualifiers. I hope he brings the real players back sooner than later.

Nigeria are so depressing right now ...

Once the majority of our players started getting more success in Europe early on it was all over.

Bigmanship has taken over, and they all can't really be that bothered to give their all. Ringleader being Yakubu.

So no surprise Keshi is trying to use the local boys in order to get some hunger and desire out there. He just has to get the balance right, and select more of the experienced guys that really want to be there, like Victor Moses.

Sad state of affairs really.

The answer for bigmanism is to actually take control of the team, properly discipline it, and institute a true team ethic. Look at a team like Zambia that has actually built a team instead of discarding players. This is a symptom of the chaos, disorganisation, and corruption of the people around our football. The answer to bigmanism is not to get rid of all the "big" players because you need talent to win. The shame of it for me is that we were actually playing good, entertaining football under Siasia and were building something positive.

Instead of building on this and supporting a decent manager, we've promoted more chaos and eliminated all the players, replacing with locals who are not likely to materialise into anything. Brilliant. More change and more failure.

Thought it was a drab affair, neither team looked that arsed and ran out of ideas after an hour, not that there were that many ideas in the first place.

England were a bit like Chelsea with everyone behind the ball, rarely threatened, but we were well organised and defended well. 

France seemed keen on trying to walk it into the box, then when they did eventually get it wide, nobody made a run to get into the area!?

Said in another thread, barely seen Giroud, but surprised he didn't get on.  Also found it strange that they waited until the 80th-85th minute to make a change  :lol:

If both go through, neither team would fare well against Spain or Italy.  Think we look really lacking in the creativity department and against better teams I can see us getting soundly beaten.