The England Thread

Pilko

We're just carrying a few too many average players at the moment. Milner was shit, Young and Rooney were poor, Welbeck wasn't in the game, etc etc.

I think the philosophy is basically unavoidable with the squad we have, but it would be nice if we could be crisper in possession.

Last time England v. Italy in a knockout round?

World Cup '90 3rd place playoff.

Doesn't answer his question, to be fair.

Oh no, best call the cops then 'bud'.

Young has been absolutely muck so far. Needs to buck his ideas up. Milner is a limited player who is even more limited on the wing, and shouldn't be in the team anyway. Welbeck shows some nice touches but he just isn't enough of a threat, i'd start Carroll against Italy.

Gerrard is carrying the side at the moment tbh.

Why do these interviews take every opportunity to say "oh you realise expectations building now?"

In what possible way is that useful or beneficial or interesting to say.

:thup: It's incredibly tedious, sick of the media bigging up their own sense of self importance to the detriment of the country's chances.  Give it a rest now FFS.  Your average Joe knows we're in for a very difficult game versus Italy that could go either way, it's TV and the papers that create this poisonous attitude.

We had Ballack and Alexei Lalas in the studio here. The sign-off was pretty good, Ballack really grudging - disparaging the English team and their poor football, but Lalas getting it spot on, saying that this is England, and a great job by Roy. Limited, hard-working, but making the best of what they've got.

Stifler will be pissed, mind.

Guest Phil K

Agree. Head and shoulders above everyone else.

Was Walcott mentioned after he came on ?

Trying hard not to go OTT on how poor Milner was. No shortage of effort, just nothing he did worked.

Glad to see Stiflers pre match predictions come true.....

I said we were going to lose all 3 group games, we done better than I expected after the 1st game.

I think we have got the kinder draw as I think in theory our play will suit playing against Italy and I don't think Italy have anything that we should be fearful of, weary of yes but not fearful of, everything they can through at us isn't really anything that our players don't deal with a dozen times a game in the Premiership without any incidents.

The thing is though that this is England, theirs always a feeling that even though we know we are capable of winning the pressure could be too much for us too handle.

Agree. Head and shoulders above everyone else.

Was Walcott mentioned after he came on ?

Trying hard not to go OTT on how poor Milner was. No shortage of effort, just nothing he did worked.

He didn't have time to get in it, but tbh he was a certainty to make it 2-0 had Ox-C taken one of the six gazillion chances he had to pass it to him during that breakaway.

You've got to give Parker credit.

Keep giving the ball away and you'll keep getting opportunities to do superman blocks and desperate challenges, recieving praise in the process. His attributes are a complete cycle of self-fulfillment.