The England Thread

Pilko

I get that people think there are twats in the England squads, I agree with that. What I don't get is why so many people seemingly take pleasure in seeing us fail, which is different to not really caring.

People enjoy watching twats fail?

I don't understand that holding in the context of it being your own country.

You do realise many English people hate England as a country?

Given the relative open society, free press and high standard of multicultural living standards we enjoy I pity these people. Not too mention everything else we've achieved as a nation.

Still, each to their own.

RE: disliking the players, Terry I can understand but fuck me I can't think of a single one I won't have jeered playing against NUFC because i want to see them fail but guess what? Playing for England doesn't effect NUFC in the slightest so I can get behind him when they represent my national team, just like I would if NUFC suddenly signed them as that's who I support.

Bit of an contradiction isn't it? We have a free press, an open society, but if you don't want England to do well then you 'pity' them? Come off it. The 'achievements' of this nation have nothing to do with football and supporting the national side. People can support who they want to support, irrespective of where they're from. Surely acceptance of that fact is more indicative of the free society of which you speak than chastising those who turn their backs up at the national side.

No, people can support who they want but if you read what i said you'll find i was saying I pity you if you "hate" England.

There's too much fuss being made over the phantom goal. It was only just over the line and with the speed at which it was all happening, even someone on the goal-line would have found it difficult to be certain that the whole of the ball had crossed.

All that's been demonstrated is that technology is the only way of eliminating the fallability of the human eye. Not news.

I get that people think there are twats in the England squads, I agree with that. What I don't get is why so many people seemingly take pleasure in seeing us fail, which is different to not really caring.

People enjoy watching twats fail?

I don't understand that holding in the context of it being your own country.

You do realise many English people hate England as a country?

Given the relative open society, free press and high standard of multicultural living standards we enjoy I pity these people. Not too mention everything else we've achieved as a nation.

Still, each to their own.

RE: disliking the players, Terry I can understand but fuck me I can't think of a single one I won't have jeered playing against NUFC because i want to see them fail but guess what? Playing for England doesn't effect NUFC in the slightest so I can get behind him when they represent my national team, just like I would if NUFC suddenly signed them as that's who I support.

Bit of an contradiction isn't it? We have a free press, an open society, but if you don't want England to do well then you 'pity' them? Come off it. The 'achievements' of this nation have nothing to do with football and supporting the national side. People can support who they want to support, irrespective of where they're from. Surely acceptance of that fact is more indicative of the free society of which you speak than chastising those who turn their backs up at the national side.

No, people can support who they want but if you read what i said you'll find i was saying I pity you if you "hate" England.

Ah...now I see what you were saying. Apologies, Disco. Completely misinterpreted your post.

I don't hate the national side, but I feel detached from it like it belongs to the South of England somehow.

Completely understand why some find it hard to be enthusiastic when half the squad are dickheads.

What does annoy me are the ones who don't like football who feel the need to broadcast it like it makes them an intellectual by default.

Which half of the squad are dickheads?  I was going through the squad yesterday trying to work out how many of them are truly objectionable and came up with Terry, Cole and Gerrard.  And I have a grudging respect for Cole and Gerrard.  So actually, bar Terry, I don't think the players that 'hateable'.

Sure Downing and Henderson are rubbish - but their lack of ability doesn't make me think they are twats.

I've been apathetic to England since the world cup, but the last three games with Roy, Hart, Lescott, Milner, Wellbeck, Young, Walcott and the Ox are a fresh batch of players in terms of featuring at international tournaments., Gerrard and Johnson are on form, and I only dislike Terry (although Cole is having a shitter). So i feel more enthusiastic.

Very annoying the amount of media channels who are mentioning the non-goal without saying it was offside.

Also a lot of clueless people at work who are just slamming the performance and team without considering the circumstances, the players available or the fact we've won the group and avoided an impossible game in the next round.

How negative was parker's play last night, in the whole first half I think he passed the ball forward twice, really was disgraceful. Yes, he's great at stopping play but at this level you need more in the bag than just stopping... Second half he improved slightly but he does slow us down a hell of a lot.

Against a good midfield we'll be destroyed. I honestly think rooney needs to drop further to help out or we are very predictable...

Liked chamberlain and walcott when they came on, Milner worked very hard aswell but he's not going to give any defense nightmares...

Italy will be a good test, I hope Roy goes with the youngsters.

I don't hate the national side, but I feel detached from it like it belongs to the South of England somehow.

Completely understand why some find it hard to be enthusiastic when half the squad are dickheads.

What does annoy me are the ones who don't like football who feel the need to broadcast it like it makes them an intellectual by default.

Which half of the squad are dickheads?  I was going through the squad yesterday trying to work out how many of them are truly objectionable and came up with Terry, Cole and Gerrard.  And I have a grudging respect for Cole and Gerrard.  So actually, bar Terry, I don't think the players that 'hateable'.

Sure Downing and Henderson are rubbish - but their lack of ability doesn't make me think they are twats.

You're absolutely right. I think it's more to do with feeling no connection with them because they inhabit a different, privileged world to us.

Disregarding the fact Ashley Young is a cheating cunt, Carroll chucked a pint glass at someone, Johnson nicked a toilet seat, Lescott went on strike for a move and Parker made an insulting gesture the east stand while playing for us, I've got no reason for think they're a bunch of spoiled bellends.

As other people have rightly pointed out, most of the other nations have their fair share of contemptible people.

How negative was parker's play last night, in the whole first half I think he passed the ball forward twice, really was disgraceful. Yes, he's great at stopping play but at this level you need more in the bag than just stopping... Second half he improved slightly but he does slow us down a hell of a lot.

Against a good midfield we'll be destroyed. I honestly think rooney needs to drop further to help out or we are very predictable...

Liked chamberlain and walcott when they came on, Milner worked very hard aswell but he's not going to give any defense nightmares...

Italy will be a good test, I hope Roy goes with the youngsters.

I actually think Parker does have the ability to bring the ball forward and pass it, he was just in hyper-defensive mode last night.

You're absolutely right. I think it's more to do with feeling no connection with them because they inhabit a different, privileged world to us.

Disregarding the fact Ashley Young is a cheating c***, Carroll chucked a pint glass at someone, Johnson nicked a toilet seat, Lescott went on strike for a move and Parker made an insulting gesture the east stand while playing for us, I've got no reason for think they're a bunch of spoiled bellends.

As other people have rightly pointed out, most of the other nations have their fair share of contemptible people.

thats why i watch quite a bit of euro football. the players may be twats but i don't know it. when we were in the championship i doubt i watched a premier league i didn't have money on.

The big worry for England u's that since the France game they've got slightly worse in each of the games.

Don't agree with that at all. In the France game we were terribly negative, but id a good defensive job on them. Sweeden we opened it up a bit more, in the first half there was only going to be one winner there, second half we conceeded a couple of extremely sloopy goals, but still found a way back into it, on the balance of the whole game we got the result we deserved. Against the Ukraine, we set out to play the host, which is effectively an away game for us a ceertain way, again negative but understandable. I saw enough of the relative potency in attack of both nations to be pretty confident in the thought that had we needed a win we would have approached it differently and we would have comfortably gotten it. England performance against Ukraine was no better or worse than Spain versus Croatia.