The England Thread

Pilko

bitter dipper is bitter.

Hope he manages your lot after the WC, and I look forward to see your opinion on him after a couple of months.

Hodgson isn't the most dynamic personality, but his sides have always played passing football and been fairly well organised. I think he suffered badly following Rafa at Liverpool, because Rafa's formation and playing style were very European and most of the Liverpool team  had a hard time adjusting to Roy's very English 4-4-2.

Haven't followed his 36 year managerial career, but his stint with us was anything but.

Ordering Reina to kick the ball upfield instead of rolling it to defenders, using Carragher as RB to accomodate Kyrgiakos-Skrtel CB partnership. Playing Meireles as a traditional Right winger, and Ngog as a battering ram  :lol: centre forward.

The home loss vs. Wolves on Boxing day of '10 was one of the worst Liverpool performance I've seen. On par with 2-0 loss at Fratton Park in Rafa's final season and 2-0 loss at SJP under Dalglish.

I still think that was a hangover from trying to change from Rafa's fluid defensive formations to a more pressing style with 4-4-2. Fulham were virtually relegated when he took them over but he kept them up while playing passing football for the most part. I'm not saying he's an inspired manager by any means, but Liverpool was the wrong club at the wrong time.

Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 3m

Totally understand why some people annoyed about Hodgson story. Think our treatment of it reflects that feeling, too.

Expand

Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 1m

But fact is one England player in that dressing room at half time was- rightly or wrongly - upset about what Hodgson said and acted on it

Expand

2009/10  Benitez  (sold Xabi Alonso)    7th

2010/11  Hodgson (sold Mascherano)  7th (Aug - Jan)

2010/11  Dogleash                                6th (Jan - May)

2011/12  Dogleash                                8th

2012/13  Rodgers                                  7th

Yet Woy is hated there and the other three are idolised. I don't get it.

PS/ That story in 'The Sun' is ridiculous. What a horrible paper.

We were 13th when Roy was sacked (25 points in 20 games) , and not 7th. After his sacking, we had the 2nd best record in the league (after United) in second half of that season. Then f*** knows why Dalglish abandoned his passing game and formula and built a team around Andy f***ing Carroll.

Also, the other 3 are praised (Despite  their managerial deficiencies) because they defended the club and the city and talked the club up, as opposed to bringing the club down and undermining the fans.

I am sure you'll appreciate a manager who'll go out there and say : "I want this club to be competitive with the very best in the country. I want to win many games and bring pride back to the shirt. With the support of the fans we can do it. I'll protect the values of this club and we'll grow together"

as opposed to someone a manager saying : "an away win is rare (historic)" .

I'm looking forward to the WC regardless of what England do really. Go there, play a bit positive, get out the group. Then just enjoy it... who knows, we might beat someone decent.

Same really, i'm just looking forward to the festival of football that it will be and hoping we go as far as possible even though i don't expect nothing but the norm.

The one thing i will say is i think going forward we are a lot more exciting to watch now, which is what its all about really for me sure i want to see my country win games but i don't want to be bored to tears either..... Watching Townsend, Rooney and Sturridge last night when they went forward really excited me and hopefully its a sign of things to come.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/07/team_america_puke_scene-65695.gif

:lol:

bitter dipper is bitter.

Hope he manages your lot after the WC, and I look forward to see your opinion on him after a couple of months.

Hodgson isn't the most dynamic personality, but his sides have always played passing football and been fairly well organised. I think he suffered badly following Rafa at Liverpool, because Rafa's formation and playing style were very European and most of the Liverpool team  had a hard time adjusting to Roy's very English 4-4-2.

Haven't followed his 36 year managerial career, but his stint with us was anything but.

Ordering Reina to kick the ball upfield instead of rolling it to defenders, using Carragher as RB to accomodate Kyrgiakos-Skrtel CB partnership. Playing Meireles as a traditional Right winger, and Ngog as a battering ram  :lol: centre forward.

The home loss vs. Wolves on Boxing day of '10 was one of the worst Liverpool performance I've seen. On par with 2-0 loss at Fratton Park in Rafa's final season and 2-0 loss at SJP under Dalglish.

I still think that was a hangover from trying to change from Rafa's fluid defensive formations to a more pressing style with 4-4-2. Fulham were virtually relegated when he took them over but he kept them up while playing passing football for the most part. I'm not saying he's an inspired manager by any means, but Liverpool was the wrong club at the wrong time.

Completely agreed with this. He is a very decent manager at a certain level. But lacks the ambition to be a top one.

Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 3m

Totally understand why some people annoyed about Hodgson story. Think our treatment of it reflects that feeling, too.

Expand

Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 1m

But fact is one England player in that dressing room at half time was- rightly or wrongly - upset about what Hodgson said and acted on it

Expand

What's gan on like?

Its funny, I'm just reading Sir Bob's book at he's currently managing England. He's mentioned a few times of newspapers trying to hang him out to dry with ridiculous stories. He mentions the Sun on a couple of occasions too. Why do they constantly do it to every England manager? I don’t get it.

Its funny, I'm just reading Sir Bob's book at he's currently managing England. He's mentioned a few times of newspapers trying to hang him out to dry with ridiculous stories. He mentions the Sun on a couple of occasions too. Why do they constantly do it to every England manager? I don’t get it.

To sell papers

To sell papers

Aye but they always seem shockingly vindictive towards England managers in particular.

Flourishing now in a nice small job like managing England.

He's qualified - big whoop. He's on par. He's also in this position where the media have pretended that they don't have high expectactions which has helped a little.

IMO he's L'pool's Big Sam. It's just a bad fit. Any successful L'pool manager has to have the big grand ambitions, spirit of Shankly, best fans in the world etc. They need to have a certain authority while being a victim when it suits them. Fundamentally, a die-hard pragmatist isn't going to work at L'pool unless they get tremendous results.

I couldn't see Hodgson at any of the other bigger clubs in England. I rate Clarke higher than Hodgson. Hodgson's better than Pardew but not by a massive distance.

2009/10  Benitez  (sold Xabi Alonso)    7th

2010/11  Hodgson (sold Mascherano)  7th (Aug - Jan)

2010/11  Dogleash                                6th (Jan - May)

2011/12  Dogleash                                8th

2012/13  Rodgers                                  7th

Yet Woy is hated there and the other three are idolised. I don't get it.

PS/ That story in 'The Sun' is ridiculous. What a horrible paper.

Benitez won trophies. 2 CL finals, 1 win. We idolise Kev for less.

Dalglish is a legend. Arguably their greatest player ever.

Rodgers side is based around youth and looks to have tremendous potential.He has a philosophy the supporters can get behind.