The England Thread

Pilko

I think anything past the first knock out round and Roy would be a success.

It'll be interesting if he reverts back to cautious containing football like the game vs. Italy at the Euros when England face a decent opposition there.

As for possible groups. England's group could vary from:

Germany, Chile, England, US/Japan

to

Switzerland, Burkina Faso, England, New Zealand

so I guess we can't decide on specific expectations until the draw is made on Dec 6th.

Honestly, I fucking love me a World Cup and will watch as many games as humanly possible, but for the most part the football in itself is pretty crap. Sides are usually *very* conservative given the competition format (concede a goal and you could be already out), and international sides aren't as fluid as club sides due to the lack of playing time throughout the season.

Honestly, I fucking love me a World Cup and will watch as many games as humanly possible, but for the most part the football in itself is pretty crap. Sides are usually *very* conservative given the competition format (concede a goal and you could be already out), and international sides aren't as fluid as club sides due to the lack of playing time throughout the season.

This isn't going to aid games in the tropics where it'll be ridiculous temps/humidity either. Going to be slow games.

This isn't going to aid games in the tropics where it'll be ridiculous temps/humidity either. Going to be slow games.

Have to think that benefits the defensive-minded squads.

And unfavourable to sides whose game isn't based on possession football. [/ = England will be slowly simmered into submission]

And unfavourable to sides whose game isn't based on possession football. [/ = England will be slowly simmered into submission]

You'd imagine so, be a lot of get the first goal and pack up shop types. Who knows, it'll all be class though because it's World fucking Cup.

---

Be good if some of the ridiculous teams draw each other: Holland, Chile, Bosnia, Ghana and the likes. All out attack regardless of who/what the prize is.

It'll be interesting if he reverts back to cautious containing football like the game vs. Italy at the Euros when England face a decent opposition there.

Pretty sure he will but if Rooney and Sturridge can produce some individual magic in the right games you'll be really hard to beat.

Guest Howaythetoon

USA '94 was played in some absolutely ludicrous temperatures and I've never seen international football like it since.

Agreed. Loved USA '94.

Listening to Woy on the radio on talksport was so refreshing hearing a positive manager for a change and you cannot deny we have a cracking bunch coming through knocking on the door ,where we finish who knows maybe a neck on on the beach then the bye bye at the hotel steps or aim for  the penthouse suite and the nympho with the golden ball  :cheesy:

Guest Howaythetoon

As for England, we are actually looking like a team these days. We might not have lots of so-called world-class players but we have good options it seems and I'm liking some of the younger players coming through. I'd be concerned about central midfield mind, we lack legs and energy in there. As good as Gerrard and Lampard are and have been for England at times (although rarely together) we need some younger legs in that area. We also need to find a place for Wilshire in the team.

As for the World Cup itself, I think getting to the quarters would be great going, providing we play some decent football and get at teams. I think most would be very happy with that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding Roy, he's dour and some of his selections baffle and frustrate but he's getting results. I'm delighted for him because he's a good manager, a good guy and furthermore his achievements are two fingers up to the media who have been nothing but embarrassing at times and very insulting, and of course, those deluded Liverpool fans who practically hounded the man out of Anfield.

Regarding Roy, he's dour and some of his selections baffle and frustrate but he's getting results. I'm delighted for him because he's a good manager, a good guy and furthermore his achievements are two fingers up to the media who have been nothing but embarrassing at times and very insulting, and of course, those deluded Liverpool fans who practically hounded the man out of Anfield.

Not forgetting he is English too after the last 2 abortions

He is doing a decent job and is a decent manager at his level, but he is not a good guy.

Imagine him coming out saying "Mike Ashley is a terrific owner, and away wins in PL are rare, and it's the level of performance that's important"

or after you lose a derby in SOL playing abject he says with a grin on his face: "I thought that was our best performance of the season"

Not to mention he is so full of himself, banging on his 38 years of experience all the time. If people call rodgers Brenton for being self-loving, then Roy is on the same level if not higher.

Shit managers don't win 8 league titles and get to European final...but he certainly isn't the friendly lovely uncle people think he is.