The England Thread

Pilko

• 3 weeks later...

I'd play Cole this WC (unless we really needed a win in the last game, then i'd start Baines).

Him, Lampard & Gerrard never being called up again. Lord knows the latter two won't call it a day on their own merit at this pace.

Not much mileage in picking Baines after this WC . I'd get Shaw straight in personally.  Let's get a future built the quicker the better.

23-man squad init?

GK - Hart, Forster?, Foster?

FB - Johnson, Baines, Cole

CB - Jagielka, Cahill, Lescott, Caulker, Shawcross

MID - Wilshere, Barkley, Lallana, Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lampard, Cleverley

FWD - Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Defoe, Lambert (Carroll if fit)

---------------------------- Hart ----------------------------

Johnson ----- Jagielka ------- Cahill ------------ Baines

--------------- Wilshere ------ Barkley --------------------

Lallana ----------------- Rooney --------------- Welbeck

-------------------------- Sturridge --------------------------

That's the eleven players I'd like to see in some shape or form.

I think there's a really good competition for places. Every time England aren't playing (or on the fleeting occasions where they play well), I'm convinced they can have a good tournament. There's a lot of good players in that squad and a lot of competition for places. Especially when you consider that position Lallana is playing is interchangeable with so many; Townsend, Ox, Stirling, Zaha, Milner.

Loads others missing from that squad, too; Carrick, Young, Barry, Henderson, Huddlestone, Shelvey, Downing, Johnson, Carroll - all of them are in with a shout if they have good second halves to the season.

Guest Roger Kint

Not sure about Barkley in that deep role, it's a good team though.

I've never been a Jagielka fan but I have to accept I'm wrong, so many people rate him.

No chance in hell he will leave both Jones/Smalling at home if fit. Massive lack of RB cover there

Edit: Forgot all about Walker, not that the above wont be true either know England

I'd play Cole this WC (unless we really needed a win in the last game, then i'd start Baines).

Him, Lampard & Gerrard never being called up again. Lord knows the latter two won't call it a day on their own merit at this pace.

Not much mileage in picking Baines after this WC . I'd get Shaw straight in personally.  Let's get a future built the quicker the better.

It's harsh on Baines but i agree that we should just skip past him now and move on to developing Shaw. Think Cole should still be one of the first on the team sheet this WC but after that look to bring in new blood.

We'll never only take 3 full-backs either.  Kyle pissing Walker will be on the plane.

Oh aye, I know. I don't see the need to take four full-backs but we blatantly will.

Every tournament, so many places are filled by 'cover' as opposed to 'options'. We might as well be ballsy cos it's not like we're gonna win the thing anyway.

We'll never only take 3 full-backs either.  Kyle pissing Walker will be on the plane.

Oh aye, I know. I don't see the need to take four full-backs but we blatantly will.

Every tournament, so many places are filled by 'cover' as opposed to 'options'. We might as well be ballsy cos it's not like we're gonna win the thing anyway.

:lol: because every bleedin' tournament half our squad are either just returning from injuries when they fly out or pick up knocks in training.  It's tragic.

I don't really see the point of using international tournaments to develop players. I would just pick whoever is doing best in the run-up. Who cares if Baines isn't going to play next time around? Just pick someone else then. The PL is good enough to prepare people for international football IMO.

23-man squad init?

GK - Hart, Forster?, Foster?

FB - Johnson, Baines, Cole

CB - Jagielka, Cahill, Lescott, Caulker, Shawcross

MID - Wilshere, Barkley, Lallana, Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lampard, Cleverley

FWD - Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Defoe, Lambert (Carroll if fit)

---------------------------- Hart ----------------------------

Johnson ----- Jagielka ------- Cahill ------------ Baines

--------------- Wilshere ------ Barkley --------------------

Lallana ----------------- Rooney --------------- Welbeck

-------------------------- Sturridge --------------------------

That's the eleven players I'd like to see in some shape or form.

I think there's a really good competition for places. Every time England aren't playing (or on the fleeting occasions where they play well), I'm convinced they can have a good tournament. There's a lot of good players in that squad and a lot of competition for places. Especially when you consider that position Lallana is playing is interchangeable with so many; Townsend, Ox, Stirling, Zaha, Milner.

Loads others missing from that squad, too; Carrick, Young, Barry, Henderson, Huddlestone, Shelvey, Downing, Johnson, Carroll - all of them are in with a shout if they have good second halves to the season.

Leaving the Captain at home?