The England Thread

Pilko

Milner, Wellbeck and Smalling all in squad.  FFS how embarrassing. Possibly the worst England squad we've had in a while. Such a dearth of English talent at the moment.

I just know we'll get there, Rooney won't ever be dropped despite the fact that he just doesn't perform on the international level. Gerrard and Lampard will fizzle as usual and it'll be another disappointing summer. Only difference this time might just be that we won't make it through the group stage.

Its not even the worst squad in two years, OTT reactions are the best though.

I'm talking about in terms of the World Cup squads, I should have clarified. There's no way this could be considered a stronger squad than the 2002,, 2006 or 2010 squads.

Fair enough, maybe on pure star power and individuals you maybe right but like Hans said, i do think in theory at least that this group has less ego and more likely to work better as a team.

Time will tell though.

Milner, Wellbeck and Smalling all in squad.  FFS how embarrassing. Possibly the worst England squad we've had in a while. Such a dearth of English talent at the moment.

I just know we'll get there, Rooney won't ever be dropped despite the fact that he just doesn't perform on the international level. Gerrard and Lampard will fizzle as usual and it'll be another disappointing summer. Only difference this time might just be that we won't make it through the group stage.

What a load of blah.

Could you not have found a better word, like? Bollocks or utter shite to give you two examples.

Yeah, I held back.

Guest TruToon94

Its not even the worst squad in two years, OTT reactions are the best though.

I'm talking about in terms of the World Cup squads, I should have clarified. There's no way this could be considered a stronger squad than the 2002,, 2006 or 2010 squads.

Fair enough, maybe on pure star power and individuals you maybe right but like Hans said, i do think in theory at least that this group has less ego and more likely to work better as a team.

Time will tell though.

My problem comes from the manager to be honest with you. Every England manager usually picks players based on reputation which annoys the hell out of me. If I knew the likes of Oxade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Barkley and Sterling, Henderson were guaranteed to start (I know that's more midfielders then we're allowed to play with but I mean any from the bunch) I'd be real happy. In fact our midfield with those guys in the team would make me very happy for this summer. It's a shame Walcott and Rodriguez both got injured because then our midfield and attack would be dead exciting (not that it isn't already). Young English lads who give a crap playing in the greatest sporting event in the world. Why not?

I would say our Central defence is weak and devoid of a great deal of talent. Smalling, Jones and Johnson (at RB) don't inspire me with confidence. Baines, Shaw and Jagielka are good though but I'm not certain of their chances of starting (aside from Baines).

Knowing the FA though, players like Gerrard and Rooney who although undoubtedly class in the PL ultimately don't hack it at international tournaments for some reason, will be automatic starters to maintain the England brand as it was. Even though Man Utd are a, "wee" club like we now are without European football, the FA will be pushing for them to start.

Hope to God I'm wrong but years of watching the same shit every tournament hasn't exactly filled me with hope.

Guest TruToon94

Jagielka is 100% certain to start tbf.

I hope so. But then this is Hodgson, who managed Liverpool who have just finished second. I just have the feeling he'll be choosing him out of nepotism/reputation rather than skill and form when Jagielka should be miles ahead.

Who would he choose instead though? There aren't any Liverpool players in the side who play central defence? Cahill starts automatically and the only other central defenders on the plane are Jagielka, Jones and Smalling which Jagielka is comfortably ahead.

We know the back 5, Rooney, Gerrard and probably Sturridge, the rest is anyone's guess.

If i'd guess i'd say the starting eleven would be.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Henderson Gerrard Wilshere

Sturridge Rooney Lallana/Sterling

Could always drop Wilshere and play both Lallana and Sterling and i don't think Barkley will start, the rest is pretty nailed on IMO.

If i'd guess i'd say the starting eleven would be.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Henderson Gerrard Wilshere

Sturridge Rooney Lallana/Sterling

Could always drop Wilshere and play both Lallana and Sterling and i don't think Barkley will start, the rest is pretty nailed on IMO.

No chance of Rooney in the 10 role, with Sturridge CF and Sterling/Lallana either side? Henderson not starting, ideally.

Guest firetotheworks

Get in, I can't wait to have the trumpet version of The Great Escape theme randomly come into my head at inappropriate moments. Any man that endorses those tits from playing it in every England game is welcoming that scenario.

I'd like to see Barkley feature as much as possible, starting in the opening match might be a big ask though.

Can Henderson play right back? Johnson is awful IMO. If Henderson can play RB it would free up a spot for Barkley in that midfield.

I don't think Henderson would do any better at right back. I'd rather he played the role he's excelled in all season, and keep Barkley as that wild card off the bench for the first couple games.

I don't think Henderson would do any better at right back. I'd rather he played the role he's excelled in all season, and keep Barkley as that wild card off the bench for the first couple games.

The risk of bringing him off the bench lies in that he might try to do everything on his own, especially if England need a goal. In his inexperience that might be detrimental to the team. Starting him will give him time to settle his nerves and get into the game. Just saying like.

Wilshire isn't IMO. He's very dynamic. I wouldn't call him a deep lying player at all tbh

Neither would I, he's a forward-looking player if anything, carries the ball forward brilliantly and can play in tight spaces very well.

If you think Barclay or Sterling will be more dangerous then fair enough, but it's not because Wilshere is better deep.

Sterling is more exciting but I'm not sure you can say he's more effective yet. Barclay might be if he's having one of his top games.

Anyway, biggest issue with Wilshere is fitness obviously, the other two are playing very well too. I love watching Wilshere but not sure I would pick him at this point.