The England Thread

Pilko

Welbeck is bang average. Rodriguez getting crocked give Woy the excuse to take him.

Welbeck has been in pretty much every England side since Roy took over. He was always going, man.

Guest firetotheworks

He was always going and so he should. Watch him off the ball and he's excellent imo. Gives defenders the run around and creates plenty of space for others as well.

Guest VanBarduck

A front four of Rooney-Sturridge-Lallana-Sterling is just frightening imo, with two deep-lying playmaker like Lampard and Gerrard capable of pintpoint passing, a good defensive blok, England can really do something.

Low pressure when defending, drawing the opposition up the field, pulling them out of formation and as soon as you get the ball back, quickly exploit the gaps to start a couter-attack.

I sincerely hope Hodgson has watched both Madrid's clubs this year, cause that is really how he should be playing with the players at his disposal. At least against stronger nations...

A front four of Rooney-Sturridge-Lallana-Sterling is just frightening imo, with two deep-lying playmaker like Lampard and Gerrard capable of pintpoint passing, a good defensive blok, England can really do something.

Low pressure when defending, drawing the opposition up the field, pulling them out of formation and as soon as you get the ball back, quickly exploit the gaps to start a couter-attack.

I sincerely hope Hodgson has watched both Madrid's clubs this year, cause that is really how he should be playing with the players at his disposal. At least against stronger nations...

I've said this already but Hodgson has absolutely no excuses if we have a shite tournament this time. He's got an extremely talented squad at his disposal, the vast majority of whom are coming off the back of fantastic seasons. He's also got variety in there and, like you say, could play it this way or that way - any way he wanted to, really. I'm not saying we should win it (and I'm certain we won't), but I expect us to make a real go of it.

Guest firetotheworks

Really?

I expect absolutely nothing from them tbh. It's the best way to approach it.

I've said this already but Hodgson has absolutely no excuses if we have a s**** tournament this time. He's got an extremely talented squad at his disposal, the vast majority of whom are coming off the back of fantastic seasons. He's also got variety in there and, like you say, could play it this way or that way - any way he wanted to, really. I'm not saying we should win it (and I'm certain we won't), but I expect us to make a real go of it.

I personally think England will crash out early. That team doesn't look 'extremely talented' at all IMO. There'll be no Suarez to help the Liverpool guys and their weaknesses will show. Rooney hasn't had the best of season and Glen Johnson is an atrocious rightback and Hart is such an average keeper.

Guest firetotheworks

Can't wait to hear Gabriel Clarke saying "England expects" to players at the end of interviews as if he's saying "Live long and prosper". Fucking oddball.

I've said this already but Hodgson has absolutely no excuses if we have a shite tournament this time. He's got an extremely talented squad at his disposal, the vast majority of whom are coming off the back of fantastic seasons. He's also got variety in there and, like you say, could play it this way or that way - any way he wanted to, really. I'm not saying we should win it (and I'm certain we won't), but I expect us to make a real go of it.

Tough group and the climate are 2 ready-made reasons/excuses IMO.  Personally I think we'll struggle to get out of the group.

Guest firetotheworks

Shitloads of English players have been in the top per cent of performers this season, man. Including Rooney.

Stephen Carr was an atrocious right-back.

Are you alright mate?

Shitloads of English players have been in the top per cent of performers this season, man. Including Rooney.

Stephen Carr was an atrocious right-back.

4 of those started to shine when Suarez made the team work. Without him I think you'll struggle. Stephen Carr who once was picked as the best RB in the league? Yeah I agree, under us he was, the same way Glen was this season.

Johnson isn't atrocious man, for goodness sake. Admittedly most of the 'extremely talented' players I mentioned belong among options for the front six, but we haven't got a bad defence. It's a shame Terry won't be available.

Johnson isn't atrocious man, for goodness sake. Admittedly most of the 'extremely talented' players I mentioned belong among options for the front six, but we haven't got a bad defence. It's a shame Terry won't be available.

Their fullbacks have easily been their worst performers this season, and to be quite frank, Flanagan who is a nothing player who sticks to basics has done better than him. Atrocious is myabe a harsh word, but I know those are the words being used by my Liverpool supporter friends. No one rates him. Honestly, Dani Alves who is a terrible RB at the moment is twice the player 'GlennyJ' is.

It's 1am so I'm probably done talking about Glen Johnson - he's alright.

We do have several extremely talented players though and Hodgson has every reason to formulate a side that can be functional, attractive and go far. I won't budge from that opinion.

I don't watch much of England apart from tournaments so does Rooney play as a striker for England or more of a number 10 dropping deep? Will Henderson start?

Roy is doing the right thing taking the young bucks, and if he's going to take any older heads Gerrard and Lampard are the most professional of the lot, so good move there too.