The England Thread

Pilko

Wilshere and Ramsey have that Arsenal stamp - always looking to play a positive ball forward rather than just a nothing pass to retain possession.

Is it just my imagination or is Terry not as quick as he was?

He's never been that quick tbf, and I've always felt he's looked a lot more sluggish wearing and England shirt.

Wilshere and Ramsey have that Arsenal stamp - always looking to play a positive ball forward rather than just a nothing pass to retain possession.

Well no, naturally he isn't. Not a particularly fast defender really but still a top one.

Agree about the 2 Arsenal lads. Just different in style and it was good to see Wilshere driving forward with it - and also playing the simple ball where necessary.

All in all England did what they needed to do. Disappointing to see them look disinterested in getting more goals but I suppose the job was done and Capello obviously told them to not take risks in the 2nd half, hence the boring 2nd period that ensued. You can only beat what is in front of you so this game didn't really teach us much.

Milner provided his usual dose of fuck all, Johnson didn't look solid despite having the minimum of defending to do, while he didn't give much going forward. Rooney once again was alright but hardly setting the world alight. The Wilshere-Parker-Lampard combination looked pretty encouraging and is worthy of another try.

Well no, naturally he isn't. Not a particularly fast defender really but still a top one.

Agree about the 2 Arsenal lads. Just different in style and it was good to see Wilshere driving forward with it - and also playing the simple ball where necessary.

All in all England did what they needed to do. Disappointing to see them look disinterested in getting more goals but I suppose the job was done and Capello obviously told them to not take risks in the 2nd half, hence the boring 2nd period that ensued. You can only beat what is in front of you so this game didn't really teach us much.

Milner provided his usual dose of f*** all, Johnson didn't look solid despite having the minimum of defending to do, while he didn't give much going forward. Rooney once again was alright but hardly setting the world alight. The Wilshere-Parker-Lampard combination looked pretty encouraging and is worthy of another try.

Lampard will be 34 when the EC rolls around, personally think you should be starting to phase him out too. Although I admit I can't think of many alternatives.

Guest Stephen927

Good move by Capello to send them home. Ghana did well at the WC, it'll be a good test for the fringe players.

Milner provided his usual dose of f*** all, Johnson didn't look solid despite having the minimum of defending to do, while he didn't give much going forward. Rooney once again was alright but hardly setting the world alight. The Wilshere-Parker-Lampard combination looked pretty encouraging and is worthy of another try.

Lampard will be 34 when the EC rolls around, personally think you should be starting to phase him out too. Although I admit I can't think of many alternatives.

Wilshere, McEachran, Rodwell (although more of a cb I believe).

I think it's time we take a hit/the gamble. We know with the current set up we aren't going to do anything. The Germany game was played out as predicted. We need a new start, get some of the youngsters in and some experience then in 4 years we will be much better placed to progress. Germany are much better for it and we need to take similar gambles, we have some talented youngsters who although won't immediately offer more but will in the longer term.

I think it's time we take a hit/the gamble. We know with the current set up we aren't going to do anything. The Germany game was played out as predicted. We need a new start, get some of the youngsters in and some experience then in 4 years we will be much better placed to progress. Germany are much better for it and we need to take similar gambles, we have some talented youngsters who although won't immediately offer more but will in the longer term.

Well, didn't name Wilshere since he's already in the team alongside Lampard. You need somebody else in addition to him to replace Lampard, with Wilshere replacing Gerrard.

Rodwell alongside Wilshere in the middle of the park.

Lampard will have a great season next time round and will be starting instead of Gerrard at the EC.

That would be disastrous for England, in my opinion. No matter how talented he is, you can't depend on a 34-year old playing every 3 days at the tail end of the season.

Long term, yep. Rodwell's had some injury problems though which has stalled his progress, and he hasn't really got going this season but there's no doubt he's going to be an England starter for years to come. Admittedly, I'm resigned to him not being at Everton that much longer.

Lampard will have a great season next time round and will be starting instead of Gerrard at the EC.

That would be disastrous for England, in my opinion. No matter how talented he is, you can't depend on a 34-year old playing every 3 days at the tail end of the season.

This, plus add to the fact tha Lampard has looked nothing more than average for 90% of his England career, I just cannot suddenly see him putting in a cup winning performance when his legs have gone.

Long term, yep. Rodwell's had some injury problems though which has stalled his progress, and he hasn't really got going this season but there's no doubt he's going to be an England starter for years to come. Admittedly, I'm resigned to him not being at Everton that much longer.

Is he more of a midfielder? Was always under the impression he was a centre back playing in midfield.

This, plus add to the fact tha Lampard has looked nothing more than average for 90% of his England career, I just cannot suddenly see him putting in a cup winning performance when his legs have gone.

I can see Lampard/Gerrard alternating in the position through the tournament though, what probably you should had been doing the past 6 years.

Is he more of a midfielder? Was always under the impression he was a centre back playing in midfield.

He was initially seen as a centre back but for the past 2 years he's primarily played in midfield, due to his superb technique. He perhaps needs to have his position clarified because although I see him as a defensive midfielder long term, he enjoys his drives forward.

He was initially seen as a centre back but for the past 2 years he's primarily played in midfield, due to his superb technique. He perhaps needs to have his position clarified because although I see him as a defensive midfielder long term, he enjoys his drives forward.

:thup:

:thup:

I don't really see what all the hype is about Rodwell. Ok he has had a stop start season with injuries but I don't understand what is so special about him. Speculated £25m price tags on his head are just crazy talk.