The England Thread

Pilko

Wilshere and Ramsey have that Arsenal stamp - always looking to play a positive ball forward rather than just a nothing pass to retain possession.

Is it just my imagination or is Terry not as quick as he was?

Well no, naturally he isn't. Not a particularly fast defender really but still a top one.

Agree about the 2 Arsenal lads. Just different in style and it was good to see Wilshere driving forward with it - and also playing the simple ball where necessary.

All in all England did what they needed to do. Disappointing to see them look disinterested in getting more goals but I suppose the job was done and Capello obviously told them to not take risks in the 2nd half, hence the boring 2nd period that ensued. You can only beat what is in front of you so this game didn't really teach us much.

Milner provided his usual dose of f*** all, Johnson didn't look solid despite having the minimum of defending to do, while he didn't give much going forward. Rooney once again was alright but hardly setting the world alight. The Wilshere-Parker-Lampard combination looked pretty encouraging and is worthy of another try.

Lampard will be 34 when the EC rolls around, personally think you should be starting to phase him out too. Although I admit I can't think of many alternatives.

Wilshere, McEachran, Rodwell (although more of a cb I believe).

I think it's time we take a hit/the gamble. We know with the current set up we aren't going to do anything. The Germany game was played out as predicted. We need a new start, get some of the youngsters in and some experience then in 4 years we will be much better placed to progress. Germany are much better for it and we need to take similar gambles, we have some talented youngsters who although won't immediately offer more but will in the longer term.

Rodwell alongside Wilshere in the middle of the park.

Long term, yep. Rodwell's had some injury problems though which has stalled his progress, and he hasn't really got going this season but there's no doubt he's going to be an England starter for years to come. Admittedly, I'm resigned to him not being at Everton that much longer.

Is he more of a midfielder? Was always under the impression he was a centre back playing in midfield.

He was initially seen as a centre back but for the past 2 years he's primarily played in midfield, due to his superb technique. He perhaps needs to have his position clarified because although I see him as a defensive midfielder long term, he enjoys his drives forward.

:thup:

I don't really see what all the hype is about Rodwell. Ok he has had a stop start season with injuries but I don't understand what is so special about him. Speculated £25m price tags on his head are just crazy talk.

Why?

Sturridge is the best striking prospect IMO. Watching the U21s against Denmark he was the one player that looked to get on the ball, run with it, create something etc. If he can learn to play for a team and not for himself he could be a great player.

Wilshere and Ramsey have that Arsenal stamp - always looking to play a positive ball forward rather than just a nothing pass to retain possession.

Well no, naturally he isn't. Not a particularly fast defender really but still a top one.

Agree about the 2 Arsenal lads. Just different in style and it was good to see Wilshere driving forward with it - and also playing the simple ball where necessary.

All in all England did what they needed to do. Disappointing to see them look disinterested in getting more goals but I suppose the job was done and Capello obviously told them to not take risks in the 2nd half, hence the boring 2nd period that ensued. You can only beat what is in front of you so this game didn't really teach us much.

Milner provided his usual dose of f*** all, Johnson didn't look solid despite having the minimum of defending to do, while he didn't give much going forward. Rooney once again was alright but hardly setting the world alight. The Wilshere-Parker-Lampard combination looked pretty encouraging and is worthy of another try.

Lampard will be 34 when the EC rolls around, personally think you should be starting to phase him out too. Although I admit I can't think of many alternatives.

I think it's time we take a hit/the gamble. We know with the current set up we aren't going to do anything. The Germany game was played out as predicted. We need a new start, get some of the youngsters in and some experience then in 4 years we will be much better placed to progress. Germany are much better for it and we need to take similar gambles, we have some talented youngsters who although won't immediately offer more but will in the longer term.

Long term, yep. Rodwell's had some injury problems though which has stalled his progress, and he hasn't really got going this season but there's no doubt he's going to be an England starter for years to come. Admittedly, I'm resigned to him not being at Everton that much longer.

Is he more of a midfielder? Was always under the impression he was a centre back playing in midfield.

He was initially seen as a centre back but for the past 2 years he's primarily played in midfield, due to his superb technique. He perhaps needs to have his position clarified because although I see him as a defensive midfielder long term, he enjoys his drives forward.

I don't really see what all the hype is about Rodwell. Ok he has had a stop start season with injuries but I don't understand what is so special about him. Speculated £25m price tags on his head are just crazy talk.

I think he has looked good tbh, it's that lad at Sunderland who shocks me (and others).

Why?

I just don't see anything special. People are talking here about him replacing Gerrard & Lampard in the England team long term but personally I feel both of those had showed a lot more promise & consistency at the age Rodwell is at now. Obviously players progress at different rates so I may be proved wrong in the long run.

Well, for a start he's nowhere near as naturally offensive as Gerrard or Lampard. I can understand about having reservations and indeed he needs to have one full, solid season to really showcase his talent but to me, there's little doubt, even if it takes 2 or 3 years yet, that he'll be one of the first names on the England team sheet.

True true, I mean im not writing the lad off he's only 20 after all & he will defo play an important part in the future i but more likely he will be a ball playing centre half rather than a midfielder. 

The hype surrounding Henderson is more puzzling as is the inclusion of the likes of Barry & Milner etc in the full squad.

True true, I mean im not writing the lad off he's only 20 after all & he will defo play an important part in the future i but more likely he will be a ball playing centre half rather than a midfielder. 

The hype surrounding Henderson is more puzzling as is the inclusion of the likes of Barry & Milner etc in the full squad.

Couldn't agree more. :thup:

Really cant stand Wilshere. Annoying little whelp.

Heard quite a few stories about the lad, sounds like more of a bellend than he actually looks which is an achievement.

Footballer in 'Total bellend' shocker!

Maybe the tabloids will have to start running 'Footballer is actually an alright guy - shocker' type stories!  :D

Heard quite a few stories about the lad, sounds like more of a bellend than he actually looks which is an achievement.

So he did take your cousin up the hoop then?

So he did take your cousin up the hoop then?

Wouldn't surprise me, she looks the sort.

I think I'm in the same position. I've not actually seen Rodwell play that game when he produces something that really makes you sit up and take notice. However, so many good judges (apparently including Fergie) seem to rate him and they can't all be wrong.

Wilshere has been playing with amazing authority and leadership, for both Arsenal and England. He's more than ready and I think he'll be a fixture in the team for a long time now.

I reckon the casualty will be Lampard who now looks very slow despite that footballing nous that he's got. Gerrard is the better natural athlete and his international career still has some legs.

BTW, totally scandalous that those players have been released from the Ghana friendly because their clubs are in the Champions League.

What about people like Scott Parker who are involved in crucial relegation battles? And what about the Ghana fans and players who have travelled for this game and paid big money? Will Ghana be releasing Michael Essien, I think not.

Guest schmuck

BTW, totally scandalous that those players have been released from the Ghana friendly because their clubs are in the Champions League.

What about people like Scott Parker who are involved in crucial relegation battles? And what about the Ghana fans and players who have travelled for this game and paid big money? Will Ghana be releasing Michael Essien, I think not.

Well a relegation battle doesn't involve extra games, and I don't think think there'll be many African-based Ghanaians making the trip in fairness

Guest Stephen927

What are the chances Africans would come over here to see Terry, Dawson, Lampard, Rooney or Ashley Cole, they'll be coming here to see a friendly. It isn't a competitive game, so if they are making the trip they knew the risks anyways.

5Live last night had at least three Ghana fans calling about how many people they had bought tickets for, and some were paying hundreds of pounds to fly in for this match.

Obviously they should've expected some players not to be playing I guess, you could argue that. They obviously didn't though.