The England Thread

Pilko

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

We're shit.

Only two players i really disagree with (apart from the backup keepers, would have two young lads in, we know Hart is no1) Barry as he's shite, rooney as he's banned. Everyone else with a point to prove, including Gerrard who hasnt been called up for two years. The pace in that forward line up is incredible.

Good team, gan on Pearce, show Crapello who friendly call ups are done.

f*** me, that England squad man :lol:

Compare that to a Spanish, German or Dutch squad :lol:

Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Lavezzi, Tevez, Milito.

Rooney, Bent, Carroll, Sturridge, Defoe, Zamora.

Guest Howaythetoon

Barry is having a very good season for the side top of the league, he's a key player for them and would be for England if England had better midfielders around him. As it is for England he's asked to sit or to break up play and because he isn't really an athlete, in a stagnant midfield he will stand out as a sore thumb. In reality he's a give and go player, he links play up and keeps the ball moving. He can't do that in the England midfield because its static, usually a flat 4 in there, an immobile. The same applies to Carrick. Ironically, he and Barry are considered not good enough yet they are arguably the few players we have who can pass the ball to feet, i.e. keep possession. The odd one out is Downing for me who is nothing short of average and probably only there because he's a left-footer. I cant comment on the mackem lad as I don't think I've ever seen him play and if I have, I haven't noticed him enough to pass any kind of comment. We badly need Wilshier back in Michah Richards selected. The Arsenal lad, Chamberlain, needs to be selected too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mind, Parker can do the Barry role but offers more bite if you like and more mobility. I like Barry though and although he's not a top player, he's a good player and ask any Man City fan and he's key to them and they are top of the league.

Squad needs a complete overhaul akin to Germany a few years ago. I read an article some time ago about how it was done - involved sitting down with all league managers iirc, at which time Klinnsman/Lowe outlined their plans and the way they wanted to play, encouraging managers to give youth a chance. Can't imagine similar happening in this country.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Squad needs a complete overhaul akin to Germany a few years ago. I read an article some time ago about how it was done - involved sitting down with all league managers iirc, at which time Klinnsman/Lowe outlined their plans and the way they wanted to play, encouraging managers to give youth a chance. Can't imagine similar happening in this country.

Aye.

Barry's reputation took a nosedive at the last World Cup when he wasn't fully fit and was rushed back into the side because we didn't have a replacement.

I think he's a good all round player who's still our best choice for the anchor role in midfield.

Gary Cahill :rolleyes:

The younger lads need games to iron out mistakes, it's absurd to drop them because of a drop in form. I'm actually glad Oxlade has been left out though. Leave him until after the Euros and let him cut his teeth with England before throwing him in with massive pressure. (Walcott-esque)