The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Chubby Jason

Why wouldn't Scholes want to go? Has he got something better on during that month?

He hasn't played internationally since '04. If England were projected to fare pretty well, I could see him coming out for one last hurrah. But I don't think he'll come out for a squad not projected to get much past the quarters with or without him.

I literally can see no downside to someone in his position going to play in a huge tournament like this. He'd be a total moron to spurn such an opportunity.

Guest Chubby Jason

Hodgson has apparently been begging Scholes to go. Scholes has asked for assurances on the shape of the team and what role he'd be deployed in. Ferguson doesn't want Scholes to go.

Where did you hear this? Fergie can f*** off.

My mate who's a Man Utd fan - has some good contacts. He thinks Scholes will end up going should Hodgson tell him what he wants to hear and although it isn't what he wants, Fergie accepts he'll probably want to go too knowing it's his last chance for England.

Ah right, fair enough. I can't imagine his demands will be too great really. Surely just "play me in the middle, not on the left".

Hodgson has apparently been begging Scholes to go. Scholes has asked for assurances on the shape of the team and what role he'd be deployed in. Ferguson doesn't want Scholes to go.

My mate who's a Man Utd fan - has some good contacts. He thinks Scholes will end up going should Hodgson tell him what he wants to hear and although it isn't what he wants, Fergie accepts he'll probably want to go too knowing it's his last chance for England.

Ah right, fair enough. I can't imagine his demands will be too great really. Surely just "play me in the middle, not on the left".

Considering their lack of finesse from anyone else in the middle, Hodgson would be dumb not to play him there.

Guest Chubby Jason

Considering their lack of finesse from anyone else in the middle, Hodgson would be dumb not to play him there.

Our lack of creativity and his chronic lack of pace, it'd be bizarre to say the least. It's sad that two years ago at the world cup there was talk of him coming back to bring on as a sub to keep possession. Now we've regressed so much that he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Do we actually want Paul Scholes back?  :hmm:

If you look at the alternatives, then yes.

The joker quit England first time around because he was huffed at playing on the left to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard in the middle and then turned us down last WC when we offered him the chance to come back.

It's embarrassing that we are begging a 37 year old out of retirement a week before the squad is announced and a month before the tournament starts.

IMO, Scholes is the best centre midfielder the premiership has had and comfortably the best centre midfielder England has had in about 15 year.

England still need him.

Do we actually want Paul Scholes back?  :hmm:

If you look at the alternatives, then yes.

The joker quit England first time around because he was huffed at playing on the left to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard in the middle and then turned us down last WC when we offered him the chance to come back.

It's embarrassing that we are begging a 37 year old out of retirement a week before the squad is announced and a month before the tournament starts.

The best central midfielder England has had for the last 20 years should never have been forced out wide to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard, a central midfield pairing that after near 10 years has never looked close to working.

IMO, Scholes is the best centre midfielder the premiership has had and comfortably the best centre midfielder England has had in about 15 year.

England still need him.

We may aswell just play Beckham Scholes Lampard Gerrard in midfield. We never seem to learn anyways. Get them all in. They used to be world class and they are the best we have to offer still. Golden Generation, one final hurrah....

I'd prefer a prospect than Scholes, great as he is we need a team to gell and that takes time. I'd hope to get a band of players who are going to stay together (at least some of them) over the next few tournaments, instead of just flogging the dead horse of England from 8 years ago (that wasn't that good anyway).

England still need him.

We may aswell just play Beckham Scholes Lampard Gerrard in midfield. We never seem to learn anyways. Get them all in. They used to be world class and they are the best we have to offer still. Golden Generation, one final hurrah....

The other three were never as good as Scholes.

I do agree that Terry, Lampard, Gerrard etc should be nowhere near the England squad but i'd have Scholes in.

I assume Wilshere won't make it?

The only reason Man Utd are still in with a chance of winning the league is because of Scholes.

At 37 he still makes a laughing stock out of the likes of Barry and Parker.  With Wilshere out I'd be hoping Scholes boards the fucking plane if I was an England fan.

We're not good enough. So hopefully we're using this time to change the way young players are learning the game and accepting that without a fuckload of luck, we're not winning a major tournament in the near future.

Wilshere is definitely out.

Scholes was world class, i agree best midfielder we have seen a long time however he's not that same player anymore. He's 37, he doesn't cover the same ground, he doesn't put himself about as much, it's easy looking good when your playing for Man Utd against poor opposition and spraying balls around the pitch. Could he do the same in a poor England side against better opposition? I doubt it very much. I'd much rather get a team together for the future and stick by it as much as possible.

If Wilshere was fit at the start of the tournament would he even be an option? I wouldn't take him... he hasn't kicked a ball in ages and to be honest, I think he's a bit over-hyped anyway. He is a talent with great potential but for me isn't a first team starter for England yet. If he had a good season under his belt I'd take him as a part of the squad for sure.

At 37 he still makes a laughing stock out of the likes of Barry and Parker.  With Wilshere out I'd be hoping Scholes boards the fucking plane if I was an England fan.

he'd need people alongside him to do his running mind, otherwise aye agree tbh

England still need him.

The other three were never as good as Scholes.

I do agree that Terry, Lampard, Gerrard etc should be nowhere near the England squad but i'd have Scholes in.

I assume Wilshere won't make it?

What a ludicrous post.

One of the things that Scholes does so well is that lofted, golf-shot like pass from the centre midfield to the wide players. It just lands at the player's feet every time. We usually end up having to play three or four passes to achieve the same result - although obviously it's nowhere near as effective because the defence has plenty of time to move across or close us down.

Guest Chubby Jason

'Arry now saying Parker could be a doubt. It'd be a huge blow if it was true but it screams of bitter saggy face trying to throw a spanner in the works.

'Arry now saying Parker could be a doubt. It'd be a huge blow if it was true but it screams of bitter saggy face trying to throw a spanner in the works.

If he doesn't make it, surely the call would have to go out for Perchinho?  :D