The England Thread

Pilko

Quite like the set-up being put together.

Same, Lewington is a good coach and I think Neville will be the same, seems to have his head screwed on if his analysis is anything to go by.

Yeah positive stuff.

You say that but I always find with England that we try and be too technical. It is the foreign players in the premiership which make the league technical, a strength of the English game has always been a big target man. I missed Rooney of the sheet due to suspension and I would obviously add him to that list but frankly I reckon England should play to their strengths. Get 2 good crossers of the ball in the wings, good box to box midfielders who just give the ball to the wingers, and a good target man to get on the end of things. I mean what good is it having players like Walcott and Lennon with no end product and up against foreign equivalents who are simply better. England aren't going to outplay teams with intricate stuff on the floor. It just won't happen

To be fair, you may have a point there.

It would be horrible though. Like Stoke. Wish Delap was English.

Guest sicko2ndbest

All being fit it has to be

Hart

Walker Terry Ferd Cole

Walcott gerrard Parker Ox

Carroll Rooney

FWIW if it would actually work like that (i.e us just bullying the opposition into defeat) I would enjoy it immensely, mainly due to the fact I would find it funny as fuck. I just think we'd be best off with some middle ground, let Carroll offer us that option but don't abandon our technical abilities just because they aren't as good as Spain.

Guest Chubby Jason

It would be Carroll or Holt, not both of them. Scholes and Lampard as a midfield two would be a disaster.

Holt is actually an outside chance for England, now that I think about it.

The chatter in the media about him, on whether or not he should be in the England squad this summer is a clear sign to me that he is in serious contention of making it.

Guest Chubby Jason

Holt has committed more fouls than anyone in the the league this season. I could see the whistle going every time he jumped for the ball should he go.

On a random note, will any of you dicks be in Oslo for the Norway - England match on the 26th?

If so...

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/2fadbe25-eaaa-42b7-8bf6-a8ec8684655a.gif

I think the strikers should be Rooney, Crouch, Holt, Defoe and Sturridge. Sturridge and Rooney can operate in an attacking midfield capacity which is my justification for taking the 5; FWIW I'd have Phil Jones in there too as a defence/midfield double-option to cover that too.

Starting XI when Rooney gets back:

Hart

Richards  Cahill    Rio    Cole

Johnson    Scholes  Perch    Ox

Rooney  Shola

Ashley Young as an impact sub to "win" penalties. :smug:

Starting XI when Rooney gets back:

Hart

Richards  Cahill    Rio    Cole

Johnson    Scholes  Perch    Ox

Rooney  Shola

Ashley Young as an impact sub to "win" penalties. :smug:

Fuck me, Ronnies going to have a coronary when he sees you've selected Perchinho ahead of "He ain't heavy, he's my Buddah" Lampard.