The England Thread

Pilko

Makes you wonder like, how badly is Fraser Forster thought of if he's behind Jack Butland in the pecking order, who as far as I know isn't even Birmingham's first choice. At least Forster has played consistently for Celtic.

Must have come highly rated from Pearce as he has 6 u21 caps. Obviously Hodgson doesn't think much of Stockdale which makes his past England call ups even more incredulous.

Makes you wonder like, how badly is Fraser Forster thought of if he's behind Jack Butland in the pecking order, who as far as I know isn't even Birmingham's first choice. At least Forster has played consistently for Celtic.

Must have come highly rated from Pearce as he has 6 u21 caps. Obviously Hodgson doesn't think much of Stockdale which makes his past England call ups even more incredulous.

Unless Stockdale is going to the Olympic keeper?

He's 26 though, so would have to be an overrage option if he was.

Fuck, had no idea he was that old. Probably not that then.

I'm not sure if I can disagree too much with what is available to pick. Richards is a strange one. And I think Carrick has been canny the tail end of the season. Downing is the biggest shocker to me, I think Adam Johnson and Lennon would have been better options that him, maybe Hodgson is concerned by the lack of games from Johnson and Lennon?

I think he may have dropped a bollock with Carrick. A midfield 3 of Parker, Carrick and Gerrard looks ok, lacks pace, but there are no pacey options these days. I suppose when we've played a midfield 3 this season (Newcastle that is) we've lacked a bit of pace but the movement and technical ability of the players has seen us through. I assume Barry will join Parker and Gerrard in CM, on their day they are good players, just wonder if Gerrard can get anywhere near his top level, that's the only hope England have until Rooney is available again. A lot of reliance will be on Young and Walcott on the wings neither have done it on a International stage as of yet??

I'm not sure if I can disagree too much with what is available to pick. Richards is a strange one. And I think Carrick has been canny the tail end of the season. Downing is the biggest shocker to me, I think Adam Johnson and Lennon would have been better options that him, maybe Hodgson is concerned by the lack of games from Johnson and Lennon?

I think he may have dropped a bollock with Carrick. A midfield 3 of Parker, Carrick and Gerrard looks ok, lacks pace, but there are no pacey options these days. I suppose when we've played a midfield 3 this season (Newcastle that is) we've lacked a bit of pace but the movement and technical ability of the players has seen us through. I assume Barry will join Parker and Gerrard in CM, on their day they are good players, just wonder if Gerrard can get anywhere near his top level, that's the only hope England have until Rooney is available again. A lot of reliance will be on Young and Walcott on the wings neither have done it on a International stage as of yet??

He's picked Milner. There are a few similar contradictions within the selection.

Guest andrew

Just seen the squad.

Why the f*** is John Terry, Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll in there? (Plus why the f*** is Jordan Henderson on standby?!). Yep, England are screwed this summer.

Terry is still arguably our best CB and Carroll is our best target man.

Mystery solved?

yep. and carrolls been looking great  of late. just downing as the shit inclusion

Fuck, had no idea he was that old. Probably not that then.

Aye.

Keeper options are rubbish though so they might use an overrage slot on one. Allan McGregor maybe.

Guest Shaun

Seen people complaining about Defoe who has 17 goals and 8 assists (all competitions) this season.  :lol:

Carroll needs a provider, and an arm around the shoulder in between matches, he will get neither.

Downing is a catastrophic choice.

That said not sure there is a good choice around, wouldn't like Scholes coming back in, Carrick maybe.

Thing was always that the level of expectations were far, far too high before any tournament really. This time it'll probably be a bit different as people will expect them to drop out early.

Anyways, time will tell.

Probably sneak 2nd in the group and then bow against a decent QF opponent. No shame in that either.

Spain will/should be waiting for us in the QF if we finish 2nd.

He's picked Milner. There are a few similar contradictions within the selection.

True enough but maybe Milner is seen as a more steady, consistent player? To be honest I'd have Milner in that squad in front of Johnson, Lennon and Downing.

Seen people complaining about Defoe who has 17 goals and 8 assists (all competitions) this season.  :lol:

Probably because he's shit and England should never be in a situation where they are considering selecting him.

True enough but maybe Milner is seen as a more steady, consistent player? To be honest I'd have Milner in that squad in front of Johnson, Lennon and Downing.

To me the positives you've listed for Milner there would be negatives for me. Add one paced in to that and he's got the same attributes at the 4 centre midfielders picked.

Why not pick someone who can do something different, maybe beat a man, use some tricks, can change a game like Sturridge or moreso AJohnson.

Was so hoping Adam Johnson would be going :( not sure what the Oxlade has shown that Johnson hasn't over the years.

Hopefully chucking Ox into the squad doesn't halt his development. Would have preferred him to maybe play in the next tournament instead.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Turns out Carrick had retired from international football a while back but told the FA to be hush about it

Disappointed that Downing got in ahead of Johnson, in terms of end product, they are miles apart. Johnson can dribble, shoot and is not too bad with crosses, all attributes that Downing don't have. He is probably one of the most useless wingers around.

Disappointed that Downing got in ahead of Johnson, in terms of end product, they are miles apart. Johnson can dribble, shoot and is not too bad with crosses, all attributes that Downing don't have. He is probably one of the most useless wingers around.

this

Hodgson says that Parker could well still miss out through injury, which presumably means there's a very real chance of Henderson coming in. Struggling to think of a more ludicrous choice in history if he does.

Turns out Carrick had retired from international football a while back but told the FA to be hush about it

It's surely not coincidence that far too many Man Utd players retire from international football well before they should do. Ferguson got his hands in there really.