The England Thread

Pilko

Both managers can point to some achievements, and both carried some risks when it came to the England job. Hodgson looked that bit better suited to the role of international manager, that's all.

Despite the Ox-Chamb gaff, I quite liked the way Hodgson presented at the press conference. We got a bit more insight into his thinking than most England managers have been able or prepared to give.

Sewelly's right with regards to Redknapp, like. He has no longevity in his roles. Spurs will fizzle out just like the other clubs he's managed. He doesn't know what he's doing enough to be able to maintain a teams performance. Spurs has been easier for him because of the cash. If the team slows, or ages, or comes back down to earth, he can't get it moving again, he just buys new first teamers. He may do well in 1 tournament for England, but his lack of tactical nous is beyond belief.

Hodgson = Questionable how well he will manage the big ego bastards in our team, but good tactically and will take an active role in the development of football in England (hugely important)

Redknapp = Would motivate the cunts, but is so short-termist that as soon as he leaves we're back to square one.

Imo, Hodgson equals progress. Maybe we won't win a tournament now, or in Brazil etc. but 10 years down the line we'll be in a better position to.

Hodgson = Questionable how well he will manage the big ego bastards in our team, but good tactically and will take an active role in the development of football in England (hugely important)

Redknapp = Would motivate the cunts, but is so short-termist that as soon as he leaves we're back to square one.

Imo, Hodgson equals progress. Maybe we won't win a tournament now, or in Brazil etc. but 10 years down the line we'll be in a better position to.

Both would fail to win the next tournament either way, so yeah.

In a way it's a shame it wasn't Redknapp. Seeing the team crash in the quarters the same way his Spurs side have against Chelsea and Portsmouth in recent years (spectacularly, and embarrassingly) would have crushed his reputation with the press forever.

Shame.

Both would fail to win the next tournament either way, so yeah.

In a way it's a shame it wasn't Redknapp. Seeing the team crash in the quarters the same way his Spurs side have against Chelsea and Portsmouth in recent years (spectacularly, and embarrassingly) would have crushed his reputation with the press forever.

Shame.

:lol:

Redknapp or Hodgson, it doesn't matter. The FA (and media) shot themselves in the foot by insisting the next England manager be English. Dumb decision, ignoring of course that Capello (a foreigner) was the best manager England has had in quite some time.

Dumb decision, ignoring of course that Capello (a foreigner) was the best manager England has had in quite some time.

He was better than his predecessor, that's about it.

Looking at stats alone, Capello's squads won or drew in 86% of their matches. Granted that includes meaningless friendlies and what not and I understand the sour taste left after the WC. But still, that's the best non-loss percentage since Venables. Winning percentage at 66% was best in the last 60 years.

The problem isn't necessarily that Capello was let go, but that Capello left such a bad taste with the English that they decided to ignore everyone who wasn't English. As if all foreign managers are like Capello.

Dumb decision, ignoring of course that Capello (a foreigner) was the best manager England has had in quite some time.

Looking at stats alone, Capello's squads won or drew in 86% of their matches. Granted that includes meaningless friendlies and what not and I understand the sour taste left after the WC. But still, that's the best non-loss percentage since Venables. Winning percentage at 66% was best in the last 60 years.

The problem isn't necessarily that Capello was let go, but that Capello left such a bad taste with the English that they decided to ignore everyone who wasn't English. As if all foreign managers are like Capello.

That's all well and good but tournament performance is really all that matters at international level for a country like England.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that, wanting an English manager to do the job. People seem to have this bee in their bonnet about "bloody little Englanders demanding an Englishman, how small minded" - correct me if I'm wrong but isn't two foreign managers two more than Germany/France/Spain/Brazil/Argentina/Italy/Holland have ever had?

Personally I don't really see why the rules about international management are any different to the rules about international players and imo they should be from that particular country just the same.

If you're saying Capello did a better job than Sven, you're insane, frankly.

Statistically, he did. But you're right. And Sven also isn't an Englishman. So two of the best managers England has had in the past 20 years at least have been foreigners. So I'm not sure why they felt necessary to rule out foreigners, especially with the recent failures of Keegan and McLaren and relative shortage of 'quality' English managers right now.

To be fair, I think Hodgson is going to be surprisingly solid for England.

That's all well and good but tournament performance is really all that matters at international level for a country like England.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that, wanting an English manager to do the job. People seem to have this bee in their bonnet about "bloody little Englanders demanding an Englishman, how small minded" - correct me if I'm wrong but isn't two foreign managers two more than Germany/France/Spain/Brazil/Argentina/Italy/Holland have ever had?

Personally I don't really see why the rules about international management are any different to the rules about international players and imo they should be from that particular country just the same.

Maybe it's different for me as a Yank, we don't have the same depth of footballing history or tradition. So it isn't necessarily a good thing to have an American manager (we'll take whoever gets us wins, whether it's an American, German, or Icelandic manager). Bradley was a better manager than many give him credit for, but he didn't commit to overhauling the entire system like Klinsmann is doing now. We also don't have a traditional 'American-style' like the English, so it's not really a matter of pride the way our boys play. Just so they get results.

I put a lot of the 'failures' of the English squad on the players more than the managers. There isn't a more heavily scrutinized job in professional sports than the manager of the English national team.

Holland have had 12 English managers, 14 Dutch, 4 Austrian, 2 Scottish, a German, a Romanian and a Czech.

France were managed by Romanian Stefan Kovacs in the 70s.

You're right about the rest though :p

Holland have had 12 English managers, 14 Dutch, 4 Austrian, 2 Scottish, a German, a Romanian and a Czech.

France were managed by Romanian Stefan Kovacs in the 70s.

You're right about the rest though :p

Obviously I was talking about times that anyone other than Mick could remember.  :razz:

Checked Holland out... they were absolutely bloody rubbish until they started appointing their own!

Guest je85

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2012/05/17/everybody-left-out-of-roy-hodgson-s-england-squad.aspx

Everybody left out of Roy Hodgson's England squad

Thursday 17 May 2012 11:30

England's new coach has really swung the axe, as Back of the Net's John Foster explains... 

New England manager Roy Hodgson has been defending his surprise decision to leave everyone out of his squad for the European Championships in June

The ex-West Brom boss swung the axe in his first national team selection, choosing to omit Rio Ferdinand, Micah Richards, Adam Johnson, Paul Scholes, and Michael Carrick.

There was also no place for Aaron Lennon, Peter Crouch, Daniel Sturridge, Scott Carson, or any of the other 4,000 professional football players eligible to play for England.

“We needed to try something new,” explained the 64-year old at a press conference yesterday to announce the 0-man party.

“Everyone’s had their chances at previous tournaments to show what they’re capable of, and unfortunately, everyone’s made it repeatedly clear that they’re not up to the task.”

How England will line up for their Euro 2012 opener against France

Having spent a career getting the most out of limited resources, Hodgson insisted that he had thought carefully about how to make best use of England’s pool of available talent.

“When I asked myself who deserved to be in the team on merit, the obvious answer was nobody, so that’s who we’ve gone for,” he told FourFourTwo.com.

“It’s not the most physical line-up, given that it lacks any corporeal form, and I wouldn’t expect us to dominate possession,” he added. “But I’m confident that this team can be more than the sum of its non-existent parts.”

The decision to take no footballers means England will presumably line up in a 0-0-0 formation, though a more flexible 0-0-0-0 has also been touted. And with no big egos to contend with, the dressing-room disharmony that has plagued previous squads should be kept to a minimum.

Reaction among supporters to everyone’s omission has been mixed, however.

“It’s great to see Roy get rid of the dead wood, but I worry about this team’s strength in depth,” said England fans’ spokesman Hugh Merryweather. “We’re lightweight in every position, and there’s literally no-one on the bench.”

“Also, I can’t believe he picked Stewart Downing.”

According to Hodgson, he saw Alex Chamberlain play well against Pirlo and Ambrosini v Milan. Ambrosini didn't play, Pirlo is at Juventus.

:lol:

Giggs wasn't playing for Milan that night either.

Losing a lot of respect for Roy now. It's becoming increasingly clear that he's trying to mend his Liverpool relationships. It would be one thing if they actually had good players, but this is just a joke.