The England Thread

Pilko

Terry should be gone imo because we should have cleared out the old guard and all killed the rot in the team of players who blatently had no interest in playing with each other or for the team in South Africa. We should be digging deeper for players, realise our pool of youth is pretty shit but we need a team not a random collection of players.

Easy when you're partnered by probably the best CB in the world.

Lescott was found out in the Champions League and will get found out eventually at international level. He's average.

Agree actually.  Think he's almost always looked shaky when playing for England tbh, never been convinced by him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Lescott is quicker than Terry.

That's where it ends.

I think he's a better footballer full stop and that's where it should end.

Terry is still world-class when it is backs to the wall, and that is likely to be the case for most the games England will play, both because of our poor squad and because Hodgson will rightly line us up in that manner. But his weaknesses are glaring when asked to do anything different.

it will be interesting to see what happens when we go a goal or two down in a game we need to win, especially if our opposition has pace up front. Even tricky movement when we're out-numbered in specific areas (ie on the flanks) and he looks like a bit of a joke imo, whereas someone like Colo looks good in that situation.

To wade into this, personally I think Terry is the most overated England of the last decade or so. What little ability he had has clearly gone now. His career has been helped immensely by the partner's he had and the fact that he's a good old London boy playing for the new cool London team. If Woodgate had been able to stay fit, no doubt in my mind that he and Rio would have been the premier England CB pairing instead of Terry and Rio. Lescott and Jaghoweveryouspellit, should be our #1 partnership in this tournament, it's not world class but it's the best we have. 

To wade into this, personally I think Terry is the most overated England of the last decade or so. What little ability he had has clearly gone now. His career has been helped immensely by the partner's he had and the fact that he's a good old London boy playing for the new cool London team. If Woodgate had been able to stay fit, no doubt in my mind that he and Rio would have been the premier England CB pairing instead of Terry and Rio. Lescott and Jaghoweveryouspellit, should be our #1 partnership in this tournament, it's not world class but it's the best we have. 

What a load of nonsense.

Terry's an old fashioned centre half and a good leader of men, not sure he'll be afforded the respect he once had from his team-mates with his goings-on, and I wouldn't have taken him....he's been found wanting too often in the last 18 months on the pitch also.

Joseph Barton ‏@Joey7Barton

Why are people giving me loads about England saying "cant get in squad etc". On ability I walk in the squad, on behaviour i don't... #fact

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA

Warranted response^

Why are people giving me loads about England saying "cant get in squad etc". On ability I walk in the squad, on behaviour i don't... #fact

While thinking Barton's had a really poor season - especially after the very good season he's had with us before - I'd still have him over Henderson every day of the week.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If Henderson got in, any englishman not currently in the squad has to feel aggrieved. Yes, i wish i was there but im not..

If Henderson got in, any englishman not currently in the squad has to feel aggrieved. Yes, i wish i was there but im not..

Has a point about Henderson, but he's still not good enough?

Should just shut up really.

He's right there like :lol: I was a bit miffed I wasn't considered.