The England Thread

Pilko

Glad to see Stiflers pre match predictions come true.....

I said we were going to lose all 3 group games, we done better than I expected after the 1st game.

I think we have got the kinder draw as I think in theory our play will suit playing against Italy and I don't think Italy have anything that we should be fearful of, weary of yes but not fearful of, everything they can through at us isn't really anything that our players don't deal with a dozen times a game in the Premiership without any incidents.

The thing is though that this is England, theirs always a feeling that even though we know we are capable of winning the pressure could be too much for us too handle.

:lol: We got the kinder draw because we won the group with 7 points from 9 FFS.

You seem to be putting pressure on more than anyone else, I think most balanced English people expect a 50/50 chance at best against the Italians.  If we go out in the quarters then we've had a relatively successful tournment in the circumstances, semi's very successful, beyond that ridiculously good.  I think you need to get real rather than others tbh, people don't expect much these days and you're swallowing the media rubbish with a wide open mouth.

The big question is simply how much money should I stick on Italy?

Truly woeful performance, no game plan, no cohesion and frail at the back. Ukraine can count themselves rather unlucky not take something from the game.

Looking ahead Italy may well be a more dangerous opponent than Spain. At least against the latter they could sit back and attempt to absorb a fairly constant passing game, it seems to suit England's players a wee bit more. Italy will be far more direct with set pieces and traditional wide men. Also if I were the Italien coaching staff I'd be wanting to fit Giovinco into the side as Scott Parker has been truly embarassing thus far.

Of course I've just realised how negative that sounds, the major postives for England being: a) they're through and b) they can't get any worse.

Truly woeful performance, no game plan, no cohesion and frail at the back. Ukraine can count themselves rather unlucky not take something from the game.

Looking ahead Italy may well be a more dangerous opponent than Spain. At least against the latter they could sit back and attempt to absorb a fairly constant passing game, it seems to suit England's players a wee bit more. Italy will be far more direct with set pieces and traditional wide men. Also if I were the Italien coaching staff I'd be wanting to fit Giovinco into the side as Scott Parker has been truly embarassing so far.

Of course I've just realised how negative that sounds, the major postives for England being: a) they're through and b) they can't get any worse.

I think you've been harsh on England this tournament, but if we play like we did tonight against Italy we'll get bummed - no doubt. It wasn't a good performance, as you say.

Looking ahead Italy may well be a more dangerous opponent than Spain. At least against the latter they could sit back and attempt to absorb a fairly constant passing game, it seems to suit England's players a wee bit more. Italy will be far more direct with set pieces and traditional wide men. Also if I were the Italien coaching staff I'd be wanting to fit Giovinco into the side as Scott Parker has been truly embarassing so far.

OTT on all counts.

I like Welbeck but he's done next to nothing apart from his goal and poses almost no threat. Would put Carroll in on Sunday and tell him to wind up their two centre halfs.

That's nonsense that. Didn't play well tonight, like.

I disagree with The Prophet on how bad we've been thus far, but if we play like we did today against Italy we'll definitely be going out.

A well executed game plan against France follwed by two very unconvincing victories. The whole team lacks a purpose as well as any form of cohesion.

Guest bimpy474

reckon we will lose on penalties to italy after a 0-0

Then we will all come around to your house and destroy you.

I like Welbeck but he's done next to nothing apart from his goal and poses almost no threat. Would put Carroll in on Sunday and tell him to wind up their two centre halfs.

What's he done apart from being neat and tidy and generally passing the ball backwards? Distinctly remember him being poor against Sweden before his goal and we did nothing as a team against France. I do like him, but he needs to be receiving the ball much higher up the pitch to be effective which won't happen they way we're playing.

It isn't at all. Aside from the goal against Sweden (which, although it was all about Walcott, he took well) and one little jinking run midway through the second half tonight - he's not threatened in the slightest. I like him but he's had his chance and tbh i think Carroll is worth the shirt more than he is. At least there's a constant opportunity for a shot on target with Carroll. Welbeck holds the ball up well, but that's all it is at the moment - he seems to spend the majority of the match thirty yards out with his back to goal.

Promising player though. As i said, that little run in the second half this evening was a cracking bit of movement and turn of pace; shame we haven't seen more of it.