The England Thread

Pilko

I think that topping the group is a decent achievement considering the squad we have and the amount of time Roy has been in charge for. Beat Italy and we'll have had a successful tournament; even if we slip out after a good performance we'll have made progress imo.

And, while I'm at it, despite having a lot of apathy towards England towards the end of the Capello regime and pretty much since South Africa; I'm fully supporting the team now, because I like Roy and I want him to succeed. We might not have been playing fantastically, but we've won two and drawn one and haven't lost a game yet.

Need I remind people that we played badly in South Africa without picking up the required results? It's a small difference yet a significant one.

I also think we've been pretty superb defensively under Roy thus far, Glen Johnson's inevitable shiteness aside.

Just finished watching the game for the first time, I was at work while it was on live, and couldn't help but check on the score, so I knew the result. I read all the comments coming through about how bad we were and how lucky we were. But that's not the game I just watched, the game I saw was a team playing against a home nation who needed to win, while we only needed a draw. We played a safety first type of game, and tbh, for all the hype about how great Ukraine were, I was a little unimpressed, they created very few real chances. They haven't shown it a lot in replays but the guy looks offside when played through initially adn it's inconclusive though probably in for the ball crossing the line. We made a few chances of our own to add to the lead, and I'm pretty confident that had we needed to we could have scored again, but sensibly we just sat back and soaked up what pressure Ukraine were able to exert which to be honest wasn't much.

As far as Italy are concerned. I really don't understand the comments about how we'll get raped or such. Italy have hardly set the tournament alight themselves, and have nothing that we should fear. It'll be a close game, I think, but one we are capable of winning.

As far as Italy are concerned. I really don't understand the comments about how we'll get raped or such. Italy have hardly set the tournament alight themselves, and have nothing that we should fear. It'll be a close game, I think, but one we are capable of winning.

England have done alot better than I thought, which to me is all down to Hodgson. He has the team united and playing for eachother. Gerrard has been a revelation since given the captaincy.

I get that people think there are twats in the England squads, I agree with that. What I don't get is why so many people seemingly take pleasure in seeing us fail, which is different to not really caring.

People enjoy watching twats fail?

I don't understand that holding in the context of it being your own country.

You do realise many English people hate England as a country?

Then why do they still live here?

I HATE England me like, FUCKING HATE THEM. Not just the team but the whole country, I just fucking HATE it all because i'm so wacky and cool.

Fuck it, off to Facebook to complain a bit more about the overpaid cunts because it's just PURE HATRED, they don't deserve to breathe the same air we breathe, they should fuck off to space and breathe the atmosphere out there. COME ON ITALY!!! Beat those people!

I HATE England me like, FUCKING HATE THEM. Not just the team but the whole country, I just fucking HATE it all because i'm so wacky and cool.

Fuck it, off to Facebook to complain a bit more about the overpaid cunts because it's just PURE HATRED, they don't deserve to breathe the same air we breathe, they should fuck off to space and breathe the atmosphere out there. COME ON ITALY!!! Beat those people!

??? Who is that parodying?

I get that people think there are twats in the England squads, I agree with that. What I don't get is why so many people seemingly take pleasure in seeing us fail, which is different to not really caring.

Given the relative open society, free press and high standard of multicultural living standards we enjoy I pity these people. Not too mention everything else we've achieved as a nation.

Still, each to their own.

RE: disliking the players, Terry I can understand but fuck me I can't think of a single one I won't have jeered playing against NUFC because i want to see them fail but guess what? Playing for England doesn't effect NUFC in the slightest so I can get behind him when they represent my national team, just like I would if NUFC suddenly signed them as that's who I support.

Guest BooBoo

??? Who is that parodying?

I don't think even he knows tbh. Probably not even a parody. :yao:

The World Cup certainly dealt me a whopping great hit, I lost a lot of passion. However, I can't get that people genuinely hate their country? Like I'm not overly bothered , (didn't even watch the game last night), but hate is going a bit far isn't it?

Given the relative open society, free press and high standard of multicultural living standards we enjoy I pity these people. Not too mention everything else we've achieved as a nation.

Still, each to their own.

RE: disliking the players, Terry I can understand but fuck me I can't think of a single one I won't have jeered playing against NUFC because i want to see them fail but guess what? Playing for England doesn't effect NUFC in the slightest so I can get behind him when they represent my national team, just like I would if NUFC suddenly signed them as that's who I support.

Bit of an contradiction isn't it? We have a free press, an open society, but if you don't want England to do well then you 'pity' them? Come off it. The 'achievements' of this nation have nothing to do with football and supporting the national side. People can support who they want to support, irrespective of where they're from. Surely acceptance of that fact is more indicative of the free society of which you speak than chastising those who turn their backs up at the national side.

Its funny, in Australia its a disgrace if you dont support the country of your parents birth. All the Australian bred Italians and Porto's are massive fans of those countries even if they have never been there in their life. A portuguese girl I know the other day was schocked and apalled that I wasnt supporting England, so I had to explain to her, Im Australian so i support Australia and Newcastle. Therfore Im going for France coz i have a massive man crush on both Ben Arfa and Cabaye.

The World Cup certainly dealt me a whopping great hit, I lost a lot of passion. However, I can't get that people genuinely hate their country? Like I'm not overly bothered , (didn't even watch the game last night), but hate is going a bit far isn't it?

:thup:

Not sure anyone genuinely hates them mind, it's just an extreme position for people to misrepresent.

Guest neesy111

The big worry for England u's that since the France game they've got slightly worse in each of the games.

I'm fully supporting the team now, because I like Roy and I want him to succeed.

Most definitely.

And me. Wasn't too bothered before the tournament but I'm gradually getting more into it and even though I don't think England are a particularly great time, I'd love to see them do well.

I don't hate the national side, but I feel detached from it like it belongs to the South of England somehow.

Completely understand why some find it hard to be enthusiastic when half the squad are dickheads.

What does annoy me are the ones who don't like football who feel the need to broadcast it like it makes them an intellectual by default.

Completely understand why some find it hard to be enthusiastic when half the squad are dickheads.

:thup: There is a level of detachment in that sense. But I'd argue this is not England-specific, this is football-wide. The money involved in the sport nowadays is a big contributing factor to a sense of alienation with pretty much all football players, at least at the top level.

:thup: There is a level of detachment in that sense. But I'd argue this is not England-specific, this is football-wide. The money involved in the sport nowadays is a big contributing factor to a sense of alienation with pretty much all football players, at least at the top level.

Agree with this entirely. 

I can get over the fact that Terry etc are twats just because I want England to do well but each to their own, I can understand how people done have a lot of interest in them.