The England Thread

Pilko

Sad indictment of English football if Leon Osman should be a regular international, epitome of the decent but unspectacular footballer. Much more interesting footballers out there to pick from, in my opinion.

There isn't imo. He's nothing too special but the English players coming through in the last/next 5 years aren't going to achieve anything with England.

The word "bland" always spring to mind when thinking about the current/recent England squad. Mainly boring players I couldn't care less about.

The word "bland" always spring to mind when thinking about the current/recent England squad. Mainly boring players I couldn't care less about.

:thup: Absolutely. No flair/excitement. The rigid systems England don't help either, nor do they coax the best of what little talent there has been lately.

Sad indictment of English football if Leon Osman should be a regular international, epitome of the decent but unspectacular footballer. Much more interesting footballers out there to pick from, in my opinion.

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving him a try at that level imo. He's an industrious player who has stood out for Everton more often than not. He's no clogger either, and his technique is pretty good for an Englishman (stereotype alert).

The real indictment of English football is that Stevie Gerraaahd YNWA is still fucking captaining the side despite being injury ridden and completely finished for 2 years now.

Thing is handing out caps to somebody like Osman is just a bit of a token gesture, even if over the course of his career you would say he definitely warrants some. He's 31 and while he is an OK enough player he is not going to make a difference to an England side. I have no problem with the attitude of plumping on the potential of younger players who could become something in the future over rewarding the efforts of older decent players who are not going to offer anything long term. Tough for people like Osman to take, but pragmatically it is a better idea.

Not convinced by Sterling though. Thought despite the way everybody was going on about him last week that Jenkinson (who is almost universally derided) dealt with him fairly comfortably. Could quite easily go the way of the numerous WINGWIZARDZ we've had come through the system over the years.

Looks like Woy is doing his best to try and get into Liverpool's good books/Christmas Card list again. Sterling ffs :lol:

Woy's hardly the first to grovel to Liverpool and confirm their fans bloated opinion of their standing, though.

Nor will he be the last.

Thing is handing out caps to somebody like Osman is just a bit of a token gesture, even if over the course of his career you would say he definitely warrants some. He's 31 and while he is an OK enough player he is not going to make a difference to an England side. I have no problem with the attitude of plumping on the potential of younger players who could become something in the future over rewarding the efforts of older decent players who are not going to offer anything long term. Tough for people like Osman to take, but pragmatically it is a better idea.

:thup:

Don't think calling Osman up now is the point though, he should he been called up years ago he's been consistently performing for over 5 years now and is not even talked about.

And quite frankly has more technical ability, drive and vision than the majority of english midfielders in last 5 years.

Don't think calling Osman up now is the point though, he should he been called up years ago he's been consistently performing for over 5 years now and is not even talked about.

And quite frankly has more technical ability, drive and vision than the majority of english midfielders in last 5 years.

Doesn't play for the right club, simple as that IMO

Oh yeah, I wouldn't at all say picking Osman at this point is the right to go. Just a massive slap in the face to people like him when you see the utter dross getting caps.

Doesn't play for the right club, simple as that IMO

Sadly, I think this holds weight. Doesn't get noticed as much because the media don't talk about him as much.

Isn't Cole just out injured?

Anyway, I'd be inclined to play Baines against most of the crap in qualifying campaigns. Offers far more when you're playing the game in their half.

He is, but I'm hoping they use this as an opportunity to promote Baines to first choice. What sort of message does it send if we go back to Cole?

Not saying Cole hasn't been or isn't still a very good player, btw.

Anyway, I'd be inclined to play Baines against most of the crap in qualifying campaigns. Offers far more when you're playing the game in their half.

He is, but I'm hoping they use this as an opportunity to promote Baines to first choice. What sort of message does it send if we go back to Cole?

he'll go straight back to cole when hes fit

Cole's better than him though so he still should be playing.

Cole's better than him though so he still should be playing.

Defensively he is currently, yes. But he's also not as good as he was a couple of years ago while Baines has improved exponentially and at this moment, especially against poorer teams in our group, it makes perfect sense to play Baines and establish him as the main left back for England.

I think Cole has one more tournament in him, whereas I don't think Gerrard and Lampard do. So I'd be looking to replace those two first. (Hopefully Wilshere can return as good as he was before all of his problems)

I think Cole has one more tournament in him, whereas I don't think Gerrard and Lampard do. So I'd be looking to replace those two first. (Hopefully Wilshere can return as good as he was before all of his problems)

I'd agree with that, if nothing else due to the difference in positions. I wouldn't trust Gerrard/Lampard to do the job in 2 years but I would trust Cole.

Worry about Wilshere, absolutely massive layoff at such a young age. Hope he isn't rushed back though ultimately.