The England Thread

Pilko

With the exception of WC 2010, in which he was average, he always turned up and shone in the tournaments. Gotta give him that.

Eh? He was okay in '04 and '06. That's not a grand achievement.

He was very good in '06 and '12. You can say the same about few of the players.

Terry exemplifies that old model of central defender. He's the backline destroyer. Don't ask him to distribute out of the back or move around much. But come into the box and he takes care of business. Certainly few better set-piece defenders, he's always been strong through the air.

He's good on the ball, though. It's a myth that he can't play football.

He's only 31. Based on nothing, i've just a feeling we haven't seen the last of him in an England shirt. Who do you think we'll be looking at for WC2014 as far as centre-backs go? Lescott, Cahill, Jones, Jagielka?

Gotta think Lescott and Jagielka will be first-choice in Brazil, just based on their past partnership. Unless someone like Jones or Kelly really comes on before then.

He's only 31. Based on nothing, i've just a feeling we haven't seen the last of him in an England shirt. Who do you think we'll be looking at for WC2014 as far as centre-backs go? Lescott, Cahill, Jones, Jagielka?

Smalling.

I heard some pundit positing this is just an excuse for him to jump off international football because he doesn't like it much (nor do many players), it's lots of games with players that don't like each other much and then get lambasted in press.

Perhaps if Steven Taylor manages to stay mostly injury free for the next two seasons he might have a chance of making the squad for Brazil.  Doubtful for many reasons but not implausible.

Think there's too many better and more flexible players for Hodgson to choose from.

Perhaps if Steven Taylor manages to stay mostly injury free for the next two seasons he might have a chance of making the squad for Brazil.  Doubtful for many reasons but not implausible.

Not a chance.

Terry exemplifies that old model of central defender. He's the backline destroyer. Don't ask him to distribute out of the back or move around much. But come into the box and he takes care of business. Certainly few better set-piece defenders, he's always been strong through the air.

He's good on the ball, though. It's a myth that he can't play football.

Agree with. He's got two very good feet for a defender. He's never had a calm style like Colo or Agger, but I can't think of many CBs who are/were better than going forward than Terry.

I heard some pundit positing this is just an excuse for him to jump off international football because he doesn't like it much (nor do many players), it's lots of games with players that don't like each other much and then get lambasted in press.

It's understandable if you're a player at a club vying for the league, cups and CL every season. What have you got to gain by turning out for England? Inevitable disappointment and a good lambasting in the press, who have ridiculous expectations of the England side.

To my mind, Hodgson's England really looked like an honest England this summer: they played in a fashion appropriate to their second-class status.

38m Tom Adams ‏@tomEurosport

FA report on Suarez: "Given the number of times that Mr Suarez used the word 'negro', his conduct is significantly more serious... (1/2)

Tom Adams

than a one-off use of a racially offensive term and amounts to an aggravating factor." So there's your answer.