The England Thread

Pilko

Barry has been excellent in the main for England where Carrick has been found wanting on occasion at international level.

I'd agree with this. Barry fulfils the role of defensive midfielder a bit better than Carrick, who is more of a playmaker.

Barry's emergence has been an underestimated boost for the team. We've previously had to put up with defensive midfielders who can't pass or keep possession under pressure.

I can't believe people still mention Hargreaves in relation to the England squad.  When was the last time the dude even stepped on a pitch?  Looks like (according to Wiki) that he played a total of three matches since late 08. 

Hargreaves major quality was always amazing stamina and mobility - bit like essien and mascherano. even if he comes back, after such a long lay off he may no longer possess these strengths. in terms of passing he's not as good as carrick.

Guest JamesyJazz

I'm not a big fan of Barry, perhaps due to the face he's a complete prick.

Apart from your typo I agree,thought the substitutions at half time were tremendous.Carrick turned the whole tide of the game imho.

Barry for me looks more comfortable in Internationals than he does in the Prem. I know that seems weird, but to me he just seems to suit international football. I thought he was excellent in qualification, cool as fuck and massively surpassed my expectations.

• 5 months later...