The England Thread

Pilko

Saw none of the game but things look great in the group for us now. A draw in a few days and we're basically there.

I did and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Avoid the highlights at 10:50 cos it won't really paint the full picture. Like I said, unforgettable.

Saw none of the game but things look great in the group for us now. A draw in a few days and we're basically there.

Why the fuck were you not watching the entire game while on holiday in Florida?

Fuck's sake.

(:papiss:)

Can't believe such a fuss is being made of Welbeck being suspended ffs. Danny fucking Welbeck. :lol:

He starts every game and scored twice tonight, building on an already decent start to his season - and it was a ridiculous booking. It's definitely the headline, like.

He's in good form, don't get me wrong. But he's such a clumsy footballer and long-term is not the answer in any way.

Disagree, think he's one of your better players and on the verge of becoming excellent. Hope he does because I really like the way he plays.

I honestly can't see how it's laughable when he's been unfairly robbed of a hugely important game he was almost certain to start in. Maybe what you find laughable is 'The Sign Of The Times', or whatever moniker we're providing for this current crop of criminally poor players. :rolleyes:

Sarcastic undertones to that second sentence, by the by. My point is: England definitely have several excellent players, and Welbeck himself is very good. The squad's not on the level of Eriksson's underachievers but it's more than capable of being a very, very good outfit that could match most other nations on its day. The reason for why we're so bang-average stretches further than the quality of the squad. It's not because of the amount of foreigners in the Premier League, either. Although that is a problem to some extent - it isn't one that has left us completely bereft of quality young talent coming through. Far from it.

If we have a shit World Cup and buckle at the first properly good opponent, it's on Hodgson, imo. It's a big tournament for him. Worse collections of players have gone a hell of a lot further in World Cups than what the honest England fan's expectations of us are. Winning the thing is an absolutely colossal task that we'll no doubt miss out on, but, if it's motivated enough and played to it's strengths, there's nothing stopping this squad having a very good tournament and making a conceited effort to go far.

England have several players with lots of potential and many of them are underrated on here I think.

I honestly can't see how it's laughable when he's been unfairly robbed of a hugely important game he was almost certain to start in. Maybe what you find laughable is 'The Sign Of The Times', or whatever moniker we're providing for this current crop of criminally poor players. :rolleyes:

Sarcastic undertones to that second sentence, by the by. My point is: England definitely have several excellent players, and Welbeck himself is very good. The squad's not on the level of Eriksson's underachievers but it's more than capable of being a very, very good outfit that could match most other nations on its day. The reason for why we're so bang-average stretches further than the quality of the squad. It's not because of the amount of foreigners in the Premier League, either. Although that is a problem to some extent - it isn't one that has left us completely bereft of quality young talent coming through. Far from it.

If we have a shit World Cup and buckle at the first properly good opponent, it's on Hodgson, imo. It's a big tournament for him. Worse collections of players have gone a hell of a lot further in World Cups than what the honest England fan's expectations of us are. Winning the thing is an absolutely colossal task that we'll no doubt miss out on, but, if it's motivated enough and played to it's strengths, there's nothing stopping this squad having a very good tournament and making a conceited effort to go far.

England have several players with lots of potential and many of them are underrated on here I think.

We do have some very good players coming through, absolutely correct. My point is that having Welbeck as one of our 'main players going forward is... ahem - a 'sign of the times'.

I'm not pissing all over Welbeck here, let's be clear. He's alright. A decent player who may well improve in the coming years, and I hope he does. But having him as a 'standard' to aspire to is symbolic of what we've become and if we seriously think he - and others of his calibre - are the future (not looking at anyone in particular, Tom Cleverley) - we're in big trouble.

Let's be clear for another reason - I hope he does improve, and I hope he does develop into a player befitting of the standard to challenge the best in Europe. I just cannot see it whatsoever and I hope he proves me wrong.

The reasons for our lack of quality coming through can be debated ad infinitum, and it does indeed go a lot deeper than the first 15, 20, 25 players picked by Hodgson. It goes deep into the very foundation of our country's football system.

Yes, it is laughable we're mourning the suspension of a so-so player. Because that is where England are at.

In all seriousness, man-to-man, the England squad probably doesn't match up to the very best in Europe. But, if Hodgson found a system that worked, a rhythm, and motivated them sufficiently - it could beat anyone I think. It's certainly good enough to smash all of our group opponents, but has thus far struggled.

But going back to the original point, I still think you're being harsh on Welbeck. He's better than so-so imo.

Welbeck is more or less the typical modern English footballer, adept because he's tallish, powerfulish and quickish because of this he hasn't nailed down a position and honed his instinctive skills beyond the odd flash of brilliance.

Welbeck is more or less the typical modern English footballer, adept because he's tallish, powerfulish and quickish because of this he hasn't nailed down a position and honed his instinctive skills beyond the odd flash of brilliance.

That's the biggest problem he's got atm, it's not all his fault either (he's at the wrong club, imo). I mean - what position was he playing tonight? Left-wing? Inside-forward? Attacking playmaker? We're never gonna see him score game-in, game-out for England from such a wishy-washy position. Fair enough he bagged a couple tonight but, I mean, consider the opponents.

He needs to be out of Manu and playing as a mobile CF every single week, if he's truly going to fulfil the massive potential he's got, I reckon.

Welbeck is a good player IMO, he's just not got that ruthless streak in him when in and around the box. Be it finishing or the final pass.

We have the talent as a first eleven to get to the quarter finals( i can't think of 8 better teams on a talent basis) and if we get lucky with the draw maybe sneak through but that's about it.

Obviously the problem is deeper than that and quite clearly the squad depth is lacking.

Also Welbeck isn't a CF and even if he was, he's not as good as Sturridge or Rooney and i don't think he ever will be. He's nice compliment to them though.

Guest thenorthumbrian

As long as the FA continue to criticise the North East and England managers treat the region like a foreign country the England team can go and fuck themselves.http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/mark-douglas-can-fa-stop-5849191Www

Wellbeck is a player that started to catch my eye in the past Euros and that every year he's got consistently better; I do rate his potential quite a bit and seems to be making strides to become at least a quite good player. He will never be a striker though, but looks an excellent support player.