The England Thread

Pilko

Especially when we're almost certain not to qualify for the world cup.

Aren't we in pole position to qualify?

You reckon England will get 6 points in their next 2 games? Because I think that's what they'll need seeing Ukraine have Poland at home and then San Marino.

Funny thing is, if England come second, they'll likely have a massive slip in FIFA Ranking (due to not being inferior teams) and could risk being unseeded for the play-offs  :frantic:

even if your seeded think I read somewhere France look like being unseeded which is a tough fixture. That said you should do enough to get through I think (which is the kiss of death given my track record for predictions.)

Disagree again to be honest. Gattuso added fantastic balance to that midfield. At the time there were very few enforcers who could have complimented the other three better than he could.

Agree with you though Ian. The team as a whole is one of the best I've ever seen. That midfield, Crespo and Shevchenko up front plus Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Cafu and Dida. :lol: Ridiculous. I cannot believe they threw away a 3 goal load to Gerrard and co.

And that is how good Gerrard was. Drove Liverpool on that night with a phenomenal second half display.

Hamann coming on and popping Kaka in his pocket helped a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Forster good enough to challenge Hart? Quite the performance yesterday.

mates a big celtic fan, said he would have sold him in the summer if possible - very good shot stopper but an utter liability on crosses and commanding his box

Was gonna say the same thing. Apart from being a Celtic fan, I'm not scum.

I see Jack (I don't smoke guv, honest) Wilshere has put his foot in it in spectacular style. Footballers ooze intelligence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24455721

Jack Wilshere says only English players should play for England

Only English people should play football for England, says midfielder Jack Wilshere.

Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj could play for England if he passes Fifa's five-year residency requirement, as he is yet to commit to another country.

Midfielder Januzaj, 18, is eligible for selection by Belgium, Serbia, Albania and Turkey.

Asked about the issue, Wilshere said: "If you live in England for five years it doesn't make you English."

We have lots of boys in our squad who were not born here, whose families have fled here

The 21-year-old Arsenal player added: "If I went to Spain and lived there for five years, I'm not going to play for Spain."

England boss Roy Hodgson has confirmed he has been monitoring Januzaj.

Wilshere, who earlier this week insisted he is not a smoker despite being pictured with a cigarette outside a nightclub, added: "We have to remember what we are.

"We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat.

"We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that.

"The only people who should play for England are English people."

Liverpool's Raheem Sterling, born in Jamaica, and Wilfried Zaha of Manchester United, born in Ivory Coast, are part of the England Under-21 set-up along with West Brom's Saido Berahino, who left war-torn Burundi as a 10-year-old.

"It's a difficult one," said England Under-21 coach Gareth Southgate. "He [Januzaj] has not played for anyone else.

"We have lots of boys in our squad who were not born here, whose families have fled here.

"There are some wonderful stories and they are all incredibly proud to play for England.

Who is Adnan Januzaj?

Januzaj was born on 5 February 1995 in Brussels, Belgium.

He spent six years as a youth player at Anderlecht before joining United as a 16-year-old in 2011.

Januzaj was an unused substitute in Sir Alex Ferguson's last game as United manager, away to West Brom in May.

He made his competitive debut for United in the Community Shield against Wigan.

His first Premier League appearance was as a substitute against Crystal Palace on 14 September.

"I'm torn with it. The world is changing. People move and work abroad. It is important to know why someone wants to play for you."

Former Football Association chairman David Bernstein said England must "play within the rules and get the best team we can".

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "There is much more fluidity in terms of population movement.

"I would say we must play within the rules but if players are eligible, I would be inclined to pick the best players we can get. Other countries do that."

Cricketers Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior and Jonathan Trott play for England despite being born in South Africa.

Southgate added: "We seem to have embraced the cricket team that has won the Ashes, but it is a really interesting, philosophical debate."

Januzaj, who joined United in 2011 from Belgian club Anderlecht for a reported fee of nearly £300,000, was born in Brussels.

He has turned down the advances of Belgium, and has not won a cap at any level for any country.

Januzaj qualifies for Albania through his Kosovan-Albanian parents, Turkey through his grandparents and Serbia as Kosovo's independence has not been recognised by the United Nations.

Kosovo's national team are not members of Uefa or Fifa.

Fifa, the sport's governing body, states a player is eligible if "he has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association".

That would mean Januzaj would have to wait until 2018 to represent England, assuming he remains in the country until he turns 23.

It's an interesting discussion. Plenty of other countries use the dual nationality loophole - Deco, Camoranesi, the current guy who plays for Atletico whose name escapes me. It's daft us taking a moral high ground on it.

You get counties like Germany who due to their history have a mix of birth places in their team across Poland, Austria etc.

In our case we are seeing a rise in players who have come to the UK as kids for political asylum from places like Africa who, whilst not British born have assumed nationality and therefore can play for us. Zaha, Sterling, Bigirimana, Berahino etc. we are exercising a loop hole in itself there so we can't be too contradictory. Look at Mo Farah ffs he is a national hero despite being 'adopted' by the UK.

The Janujaz thing is a bit ridiculous though given he's only been in the UK for 2 years. Why would he wait until 2015 to play international football for our rabble?!

This Januzaj thing is extremely cringe worthy and desperate.

All based on that one performance the other day?

I read an article in the paper the other day where the journalist was comparing him to Messi. It was astonishing.

This Januzaj thing is extremely cringe worthy and desperate.

All based on that one performance the other day?

I read an article in the paper the other day where the journalist was comparing him to Messi. It was astonishing.

The press, fergie and Man Utd fans wanked over Macheda when he burst on the scene, think i'll reserve judgement just for now. Farce that we are trying to poach him in the first place, it's gone bonkers this whole system of living in the country for a few years so you can now play for them.

Diego Costa is a brazilian who has been plying his trade in Spain for the last 6 or 7 years (i think it's that long), last two or three years when he moved from getafe to atletico Madrid have seen a huge leap in performance.

Spain are quite nonchalant about him being Brazilian and playing for Sapin, if he's good enough and can qualify then get him in the team...

N.B. Spanish culture embraces "picardia" (being crafty/sly), which can be seen quite clearly in their interpretation of "fair play" (watch how theatrical fouls are) and current Government representatives etc...etc..etc..

"We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat.

"We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that."

Oh dear.

I was really depressed when I read that... and this is Wilshere. One of our more technical and talented players.

Diego Costa is a brazilian who has been plying his trade in Spain for the last 6 or 7 years (i think it's that long), last two or three years when he moved from getafe to atletico Madrid have seen a huge leap in performance.

Spain are quite nonchalant about him being Brazilian and playing for Sapin, if he's good enough and can qualify then get him in the team...

N.B. Spanish culture embraces "picardia" (being crafty/sly), which can be seen quite clearly in their interpretation of "fair play" (watch how theatrical fouls are) and current Government representatives etc...etc..etc..

Play for Brazil then. Too many loopholes to pick and choose which international country you want to play for imo.