The England Thread

Pilko

Didn't realise Terry had fully retired like :lol:

But aye, as Rich says I'm pretty exited, I don't really want this to be an experimental tournament and I don't think it has to be one, I think we've got as good a chance as we've had in nearly 2 decades.

Calm down, Hans :lol:

Guest taps01

Nice to have quite a few different options with the front six.  Shane the same can't be said for the back four!

Didn't realise Terry had fully retired like :lol:

But aye, as Rich says I'm pretty exited, I don't really want this to be an experimental tournament and I don't think it has to be one, I think we've got as good a chance as we've had in nearly 2 decades.

Calm down, Hans :lol:

Meh, I like this team tbh, I think we can find a decent balance with it which we've always struggled with before (not helped by having an abundance of big names in the squad). It's young and energetic.

We'll not win it like, obviously, but I think this group has as good a chance as any other we've seen for a long time now.

Think Ronaldo is being overly harsh on AOC. Fair enough Sterling has been in far better consistent form this season but OX has had an injury ruined season to be fair to him and was only other month he was head and shoulders Arsenal's best player against the best side in the world whilst playing CM, a role he may well convert to in time. He's still got a lot of ability in him and will look a far better player if he gets over his injuries otherwise his progress could stagnate like Wilshere's.

What are you on about? I rate AOC and think he'll be something pretty special in time, but Sterling's better. That simple.

Terry would play if asked, I bet.

Should be him and Cahill at CB, like. They've been so good together this season.

I agree on form, but if we do that we need to play counter attacking (which is reasonable considering how may fast attacking players we have at the moment). Jagielka offers pace and allows us a bit more ability to push defense up, but of course lacks the understanding with Cahil.

Sterling has been better, I don't think there's much between them however and would like to see an England team with them both and Llallana and no Rooney tbh. That does reflect my preference for really pacey sides mind.

Terry would play if asked, I bet.

Should be him and Cahill at CB, like. They've been so good together this season.

It would be a major plus to get him in but I'm sure I read somewhere that he'd turned Hodgson down.

Think Ronaldo is being overly harsh on AOC. Fair enough Sterling has been in far better consistent form this season but OX has had an injury ruined season to be fair to him and was only other month he was head and shoulders Arsenal's best player against the best side in the world whilst playing CM, a role he may well convert to in time. He's still got a lot of ability in him and will look a far better player if he gets over his injuries otherwise his progress could stagnate like Wilshere's.

That's a key issue for me. I suspect that Sterling, at this point in his career, would sink without trace in that situation.

In international football, and particularly a World Cup, players that might be shining for their clubs get taken right out of their comfort zone. They're playing with unfamiliar players, perhaps not in their ideal role, against a team that is at least equal or even better than their own (unlike the usual case with their club), against tough opponents and under a very harsh spotlight. Some players can deal with that and impose themselves, others struggle.

AOC, Barkley, and Wilshere I think would rise to the occasion. Sterling - I doubt. Not at this stage.

Is Wilshere out for the World Cup? Seen people not including him in their starting XI.

As for Sterling or Ox, I'd probably say Ox should get the chance against Italy and if he doesn't take it give it to Sterling.

Not sure but he's been very average this season when I've seen him. Fully stagnated.

He's still comfortable on the ball and has good workrate. Wouldn't say he's been average per se, but he's just not been on the same level as Ramsey who's been absolutely immense in the first half of the season. Never actually believed he would become this good.

Not sure but he's been very average this season when I've seen him. Fully stagnated.

He's still comfortable on the ball and has good workrate. Wouldn't say he's been average per se, but he's just not been on the same level as Ramsey who's been absolutely immense in the first half of the season. Never actually believed he would become this good.

I really liked wilshire as a player and thought he was one of the only English midfielders who wouldn't go missing in a game. Very mobile, clever with the ball. But this season he's gone backwards for me. Looks a shadow Of the player he was. Most likely injuries have hampered his progress and he'll come good but he's not impressed me this season

:thup:

Been injured quite a bit this season again no?

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Shaw

Gerrarrd

Henderson Barkley

Sterling            Rooney

Sturridge

At this moment that would be my side. With the run up of games left though, form could still shift one or two in or out of that side though.

Bear in mind that if that team does the business we (and I include our children and probably grandchildren in this) are going to have to hear how Liverpool won the world cup ad infinitum.

That's a key issue for me. I suspect that Sterling, at this point in his career, would sink without trace in that situation.

In international football, and particularly a World Cup, players that might be shining for their clubs get taken right out of their comfort zone. They're playing with unfamiliar players, perhaps not in their ideal role, against a team that is at least equal or even better than their own (unlike the usual case with their club), against tough opponents and under a very harsh spotlight. Some players can deal with that and impose themselves, others struggle.

AOC, Barkley, and Wilshere I think would rise to the occasion. Sterling - I doubt. Not at this stage.

Sterling has scored 4 goals against Man City, Arsenal & Spurs this season tbf, he has stepped up specifically in big games. Plus surely in terms of playing with familiar players he's better suited to England? I'd always give a chance to the young lad full of confidence. Youthful enthusiasm can do wonders as we've seen before.

I have no idea how you're justifying Sterling would "sink without trace" in big games. :lol: It's a nonsensical assertion. He's turned up in several big games this season, and is doing the business again today.

Oxlade is better as an advanced midfield option off the bench where he can drive at the CBs IMO.

Also Wilshere has been great when he's actually played, again fitness is a problem but he hasn't stagnated or anything he's been wonderful for the most part when he's actually been out there.

There's been a lot of talk about Wilshere and Ozil recently, but without them Arsenal look very very average in terms of creativity.

I'm surprised at how excited I am for this tbh. Think it's the element of unknown that's doing it, just hope Hodgson goes brave.

In terms of LB I can't see him justifiably selecting Cole unless there are injuries, he's played less than an hour since January with little to no prospect of getting any more game time before the end of the season. Suppose he might be called upon due to Ivanovic's suspension against Atletico, but even then Mourinho will probably do something else.

I'd go Baines for now but Shaw isn't far off.

I can't explain why I'm excited about England too, man. I really want to see you guys do well with the young talent.

I have no idea how you're justifying Sterling would "sink without trace" in big games. :lol: It's a nonsensical assertion. He's turned up in several big games this season, and is doing the business again today.

ESP after that Man City match last weekend. :lol:

Looking at people's teams, it doesn't matter what combination people go for but the back 4 still really concerns me.

Johnson can't defend, quite frankly neither can any of the LB options and the CB options i'm not exactly convinced by.

Far cry from the years gone by when we had a fantastic back 4 and f*ck all else in front.

Looking at people's teams, it doesn't matter what combination people go for but the back 4 still really concerns me.

Johnson can't defend, quite frankly neither can any of the LB options and the CB options i'm not exactly convinced by.

Far cry from the years gone by when we had a fantastic back 4 and f*ck all else in front.

Out score the opposition man. The only way you're going to have to do it.