The England Thread

Pilko

None of the left backs can defend ???

Not at international level no, Baines has already been at fault for goals at a regular occurrence for England and i'm not convinced Shaw would be any better.

There's a big difference between performing in the PL than it is performing against the very best at an international tournament.

Cole is the only one we can trust and he hasn't played.... Gibbs is probably the best defensively of all the younger fullbacks we have but he's not as exciting going forward.

Not at international level no, Baines has already been at fault for goals at a regular occurrence for England and i'm not convinced Shaw would be any better.

There's a big difference between performing in the PL than it is performing against the very best at an international tournament.

Cole is the only one we can trust and he hasn't played.... Gibbs is probably the best defensively of all the younger fullbacks we have but he's not as exciting going forward.

Regular? Nah.

Reading Mole's posts gives the impression that every player in the world is a scrub and every club is League One quality. Literally fucking NO ONE is ever "good enough."

Looking at people's teams, it doesn't matter what combination people go for but the back 4 still really concerns me.

Johnson can't defend, quite frankly neither can any of the LB options and the CB options i'm not exactly convinced by.

Far cry from the years gone by when we had a fantastic back 4 and f*ck all else in front

Defensively Shaw is very sound and Johnson is decent with 1-on-ones. We also have Ashley Cole, who despite his decline is still sound defensively.

Think Ronaldo is being overly harsh on AOC. Fair enough Sterling has been in far better consistent form this season but OX has had an injury ruined season to be fair to him and was only other month he was head and shoulders Arsenal's best player against the best side in the world whilst playing CM, a role he may well convert to in time. He's still got a lot of ability in him and will look a far better player if he gets over his injuries otherwise his progress could stagnate like Wilshere's.

That's a key issue for me. I suspect that Sterling, at this point in his career, would sink without trace in that situation.

In international football, and particularly a World Cup, players that might be shining for their clubs get taken right out of their comfort zone. They're playing with unfamiliar players, perhaps not in their ideal role, against a team that is at least equal or even better than their own (unlike the usual case with their club), against tough opponents and under a very harsh spotlight. Some players can deal with that and impose themselves, others struggle.

AOC, Barkley, and Wilshere I think would rise to the occasion. Sterling - I doubt. Not at this stage.

You're ridiculous.

:lol: 'Sterling is a bottler', based on zero evidence whatsoever.

Mental ain't it. In fact the opposite could be said as the pressure of a title campaign comes to a head,  Sterling has contributed more and more each week.

I have no idea how you're justifying Sterling would "sink without trace" in big games. :lol: It's a nonsensical assertion. He's turned up in several big games this season, and is doing the business again today.

ESP after that Man City match last weekend. :lol:

Sterling unable to handle pressure?2 goals today

What I've been saying all day!

If people actually care about their country's world cup they'll bury the hate they have over Liverpool looking to win the title and all that and realize that those attacking and midfield options playing for Rodgers are exactly what people have wanted for years "form not name" Selections and picking Henderson, Sterling, Gerrard and Sturridge means you pick the guys with most winning mentality out of the lot.

Henderson may be a mackem or Liverpool player now or replaceable for some fine, but Sterling has to start man.

Cronky's just a prize WUM.

He's good at it. I'll give him that.

We have a lot of Wum's in our fanbase if that were the case. Still cant get my head around there being people on here who couldnt understand why any of us had wanted to lose recently. Even when its explained over & over & over.

Cronky's just a prize WUM.

He's good at it. I'll give him that.

We have a lot of Wum's in our fanbase if that were the case. Still cant get my head around there being people on here who couldnt understand why any of us had wanted to lose recently. Even when its explained over & over & over.

UR NOT A RURL FAN MATE.

Wouldn't take either a 4th CB or 2nd RB (if we take Smalling & Jones there's no need for a back-up RB) and bring another attacker.

This Stones lad is keeping Jagielka out the team isn't he? Looks a prospect, very good on the ball too.

He's in better form than Jones thats for sure...

Although it's made for erm... interesting viewing - this year has seen massive upheavel in squads around the PL, loads of youngsters have come through or developed their game. It's not ideal it's fallen on a WC year. Ideally, you want 80% of the squad/first XI together for the whole campaign.

Reason being you build chemistry, learn each others game, get accustomed to the manager and just the weight of playing for England.

Guess it's a good problem for the manager and exciting for us. Looking forward to the Euros more & more.