The England Thread

Pilko

When it matters, ie major tournaments,  except for his very first tournament, Wayne Rooney has been found wanting.  That's fact and it's why he won't go down as one the alltime greats. Though he can still change that perception of him.

The England's highest scoring player thing means absolutely nowt like. Doesn't tell you anything about who he's scored against, and what the occasion was. And it certainly doesn't inform you of his fairly mediocre scoring rate.

Shola Ameobi is Newcastle's 2nd highest scoring European goalscorer. He must have been class.

Yeah, that's the same. Or you could just use your eyes, I suppose. Some idiots need the facts spelled out to them.

A lot of the most successful athletes ever to walk the planet didn't lift weights. Everyone's body is different.

:thup:

True, but if they lacking in physical fitness they should work hard on it to make sure they can operate at they're best. Football's not Olympic sprinting, but it's not darts either.

Why've you got a bloke who neglects his body far worse than Wayne Rooney as your avatar then?

I think Ben Arfa should try much harder with his fitness, I've never said otherwise. He is slightly different because he's still quite fast and explosive. Why do you ask?

I think Rooney's very good BTW, I just think he should have tried a little bit harder to be in top condition.

Careful with that nuanced opinion, Ian.

Ron, if you think Rooney ultimately made the best of himself then fair enough.

I will never argue how good a player he is, as I think he is quality. However, when I saw him in that first World Cup I honestly thought he was going to be something truly special. It's just disappointing that's all. Especially when you here about him saying stuff like he isn't paid to lift weights. I mean, come on.

In the last 10 years, Wayne Rooney has pretty much performed at Shola levels at every tournament, and in a months time, it's perfectly feasible that Shola will have scored more World Cup goals than Wayne Rooney. I'd have absolutely no issues whatsoever moving on from Wayne if he provides the same shit in Brazil that he has since Euro 2004.

This is not the same as a league, or qualification, where it's a matter of consistency over time, we need players who are capable of performing at big events. There are some fantastic players around, that simply don't do it on the big stage, it's just a different kind of pressure to the pressure they're under at a club. I just wish someone had the balls to pick a team based around who can perform, rather than just picking the best individual players.

In the last 10 years, Wayne Rooney has pretty much performed at Shola levels at every tournament, and in a months time, it's perfectly feasible that Shola will have scored more World Cup goals than Wayne Rooney. I'd have absolutely no issues whatsoever moving on from Wayne if he provides the same shit in Brazil that he has since Euro 2004.

This is not the same as a league, or qualification, where it's a matter of consistency over time, we need players who are capable of performing at big events. There are some fantastic players around, that simply don't do it on the big stage, it's just a different kind of pressure to the pressure they're under at a club. I just wish someone had the balls to pick a team based around who can perform, rather than just picking the best individual players.

Excellent post Mr B. Couldn't get it any more spot on.

In the last 10 years, Wayne Rooney has pretty much performed at Shola levels at every tournament, and in a months time, it's perfectly feasible that Shola will have scored more World Cup goals than Wayne Rooney.

Garbage. He had a very poor WC '10, Was injured and failed to shine at '06 (at the age of 20) Scored 1 in 2 at Euro '12 and was immense at '04. This isn't the epidemic you're making it out to be.

In the last 10 years, Wayne Rooney has pretty much performed at Shola levels at every tournament, and in a months time, it's perfectly feasible that Shola will have scored more World Cup goals than Wayne Rooney.

Garbage. He had a very poor WC '10, Was injured and failed to shine at '06 (at the age of 20) Scored 1 in 2 at Euro '12 and was immense at '04. This isn't the epidemic you're making it out to be.

He was terrible in euro 2012, even in the game he scored in

FUCKING CLASS IN 2004. Shit in 2006, but he was only 20, bless him. :lol: So flawed.

He was shit for the last 3 tournaments. He performed poorly in every game he has played in. He scraped one goal in a game where he once again, performed badly. He deserves 1 more tournament. Then he's done.

This fitness stuff is shite mind you. Fuck all to do with fitness. I think people just assume he's unfit because his face goes red and he's fugly. Not your standard athletic type.

Urgh. We just need the Armagh emo to complete the set now. Bitter nonsense.

Its not nonsense, it was pretty much accepted at the time. And I'm not from anywhere near Armagh. Armagh isn't even in my country

Its not nonsense, it was pretty much accepted at the time. And I'm not from anywhere near Armagh. Armagh isn't even in my country

Nobody said you were.

Nobody said you were.

What are you talking about so?

FUCKING CLASS IN 2004. Shit in 2006, but he was only 20, bless him. :lol: So flawed.

So age isn't a mitigating circumstance? He's had 2 poor world cups when alongside the likes of Owen, Crouch and Heskey. Get real.

He was shit for the last 3 tournaments. He performed poorly in every game he has played in. He scraped one goal in a game where he once again, performed badly. He deserves 1 more tournament. Then he's done.

This fitness stuff is shite mind you. Fuck all to do with fitness. I think people just assume he's unfit because his face goes red and he's fugly. Not your standard athletic type.

So what you're saying is you think he's fit? In your opinion he's fit?

He's fit, but not my type.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 3m

Rooney spent today's England training session on the left wing. Looks like he'll be playing there v Ecuador tmrw. He'll be delighted ...

Also, James Milner to play at right-back against Ecuador tomorrow.

Rooney left wing is something I've wanted to see for a while, he's just utter gash playing at CAM in this England side. Milner right back is worth a look I guess.