The England Thread

Pilko

Guest neesy111

You have 3 games to get out of the group stage, we've played 66.66% (recurring) of them.  I think a judgement can be made tbh.

I think getting Wilshere sorted is key for us. Mainly due to injuries, he hasn't progressed in the last couple of years but he clearly has a lot of talent and I think, if fit, could be pivotal for England for the next 5-10 years. Certainly an improvement on Henderson who does next to fuck all, while Gerrard has again  demonstrated his best times are long behind him.

Welbeck, man. Just why?

:lol:

Oh sorry, let's go mental after two games.

Two games which have led to the embarrassment of being knocked out at the group stages.

Obviously, but we knew before it was a tough group and we wanted to give young players a chance.

I'm not saying it's not a bad result, I just hate the way people trot out the same old criticisms regardless of the actual circumstances.

Its a group we should be getting out of for me.

We haven't given young players a chance though. We gave Sterling a chance because we haven't got any other wingers. Barkley was effectively used as a typical "we're losing, sling an attacker on" sub. Shaw has about as much WC experience as Flip.

Wha? The entire frontline was youngsters apart from Rooney, and with Henderson in midfield. That's like half the team, not too bad.

Uruguay have a truly world-class talent. We don't. That was the difference.

However behind that it was the same old England. You'd have thought given everyone has seen Suarez play loads over the last 2-3 years in England, we'd be a bit more aware of him. Yet we seemed baffled by his alert, predatory running. Defence was too slow to react to it and at this level - well, Suarez's level anyway - that's not good enough.

Midfield was sluggish, lack of movement.... it's just the usual story.

Got to go fully with the younger players for Euro 2016 qualifying. Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Wilshere, Sturridge. Get them all playing together.

We haven't given young players a chance though. We gave Sterling a chance because we haven't got any other wingers. Barkley was effectively used as a typical "we're losing, sling an attacker on" sub. Shaw has about as much WC experience as Flip.

Wha? The entire frontline was youngsters apart from Rooney, and with Henderson in midfield. That's like half the team, not too bad.

I wouldn't really consider Sturridge, Welbeck and Henderson to be "youngsters" mind.

I wouldn't really consider Sturridge, Welbeck and Henderson to be "youngsters" mind.

The underlying caveat being only one of them is good enough at this level.

Welbeck, man. Just why?

On this note was thinking that the one thing that worked vs. Italy was the attack, even Welbeck down the right. If there was a weak point in the game it was the defence and how well protected it was.

Roy's answer was to change 75%* of a functional attack wasn't it? Leaving only Sturridge where he was the previous game, all the while seemingly doing nothing to plug the defence which ended up costing us.

Laughable really, but let's not judge him just yet lads.

*from the point I caught it Welbeck seemed to be left wing so i've assumed he started there but that may not be the case I'm aware.

Lallana's not as young as I thought he was :lol:

Yeah, I thought he was a couple of years younger. :lol: Point remains though, the 'newer' England players are we should be placing most of our emphasis and optimism.

We were unlucky to get the group we did, that much is true I guess. Still not an excuse at all as we've fallen spectacularly short once again.

We'll be better equipped in 2 years if our players keep progressing. Really need a dude like Vidal, though, as someone has said. Really wish Rodwell didn't get injured then go to Man City. Ruined him.

Welbeck, man. Just why?

On this note was thinking that the one thing that worked vs. Italy was the attack, even Welbeck down the right. If there was a weak point in the game it was the defence and how well protected it was.

Roy's answer was to change 75%* of a functional attack wasn't it? Leaving only Sturridge where he was the previous game, all the while seemingly doing nothing to plug the defence which ended up costing us.

Media doesnt help though. All the emphasis is on Rooney & Hodgson makes himself an easy target if he doesn't change it. Maybe he'd have done it anyway, I've still no idea why some managers can't adapt a side when something isn't working. Half time, just put them back in the Italy formation, or do something else. They likely get to attached to a system they've planned in preperation & can't take the ego hit when it fails.

Guest Roger Kint

Sturridge was too wide a lot of the time. Thought he played really well though, his all round play is fantastic. If he keeps progressing we'll have a bloody good striker to take to the next Euros.

Is the next Euros being extended or is that the one after? We may need it just to get there

Roy deciding to go Alan Pardew on us and play Welbeck because he works hard didn't help like.

Also once again we struggled to assert any sort of control over the game,  Gerrard barely showed for the ball often leaving Henderson to come and pick it up from deep where he should actually be shuttling between the lines

Think Jagielka, Hart, Gerrard, Henderson & Welbeck were the players who didnt step up. The rest played decently, with stand outs from Sturridge, Sterling & Barkley in the first game.

Johnson should have gotten tight to Cavani on the first goal instead of backing off him, was ridiculous defending as it was a 2 on 5. Cahill should have paid more attention to Suarez's run for the first. Also that move should have been broken down just inside the half as soon as Henderson (?) lost the ball.

Gerrard should have been able to not flick a goal kick on for Suarez for the second. Both defenders should have paid more attention to what was going on and dropped deeper. Hart should have been stood further forward when the goal kick was taken.

It's fucking basic stuff. I do feel sorry for Roy because I think he'd prepared the team well enough to have progressed in this tournament. He can't legislate for rubbish like this.

I think for Suarez' first, it's just a brilliant bit of movement and some great vision from Cavani. Most defenders miss that tbh.

There were times throughout the game though where we lost all shape at the back. Gerrard sitting far too deep didn't help either. If you watch Henderson, he's covering the area in front of Gerrard when Gerrard should be moving with play.

I watched it again last night because I felt I missed a lot with watching the bairn as well. It's astonishing the lack of shape.

I'm absolutely devastated to be honest. 2 years preparation, what we saw just wasn't good enough.