The England Thread

Pilko

As long as he's intelligent, proven and not German, I'm not bothered.

So in a hypothetical scenario you wouldn't take Klopp?

No. Good manager, but no.

Fair enough :thup:

I'm not a proponent of ever judging someone by their nationality in normal circumstances, but when you're talking about the national team it becomes relevant.

As long as he's intelligent, proven and not German, I'm not bothered.

So in a hypothetical scenario you wouldn't take Klopp?

No. Good manager, but no.

Fair enough :thup:

I'm not a proponent of ever judging someone by their nationality in normal circumstances, but when you're talking about the national team it becomes relevant.

I do actually understand and have no problems with that

Guest palnese

:lol: Wow.  Honestly, wow.

Google and that :lol:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean wow like I was impressed. :lol:

Thought so :lol:

I'm sorry for having more footballing knowledge & common sense than yourself.

Apology accepted btw, forgot to say.  I live to learn.

explain how you have time in your life to devote your attention to the point of apparent expertise about every single situation that relates to football as a sport? 

You didn't explain that though?

You guys can take the piss all you want, TCD has just demonstrated he is THE defining voice on the history of the Costa Rican and Chilean national teams.

Along with everything else.  He must have 10 brains and 0 jobs and -5 girlfriends.

National teams shouldn't be allowed foreign managers IMO but that is a different argument.

I agree.

Of course some countries would circumvent any such rule with daft citizenship loopholes, one I'm glad that England haven't gone down.

It's not really 'every single situation that relates to football as a sport', is it? I've done research on the teams facing the teams I support in the WC.

There's simply not a team doing much better than England who have all the weaknesses England do, I simply pointed that out.

Me pointing out that Costa Rica having a fairly experienced and settled international team, in the same system doesn't have to get you so upset.

:lol: I'm not really very upset, I'm OK I think but the ramblings of an absolute gobshite do occasionally get tedious.  There doesn't ever appear to be a football topic that you're not an expert in.  To put it another way, are there any football sides or leagues you feel your knowledge is weak with?  How/where do you gather your wisdom?

And where are your posts pre-World Cup saying that the philosophies of the Costa Rican side ingrained over a number of years might be our undoing?

National teams shouldn't be allowed foreign managers IMO but that is a different argument.

I agree.

Of course some countries would circumvent any such rule with daft citizenship loopholes, one I'm glad that England haven't gone down.

It's a stupid suggestion IMO.  Apart from running States, I don't see what nationality has to do with a job.

Also the English FA definition of English is loose at best.  English parents but never lived in England is fine. But spending 5 years in the country and becoming a British citizen is not fine. Not born here, don't have English parents but being 'raised' here for some period of time is also fine. Don't get it personally.

I agree.

It's a stupid suggestion IMO.  Apart from running States, I don't see what nationality has to do with a job.

Also the English FA definition of English is loose at best.  English parents but never lived in England is fine. But spending 5 years in the country and becoming a British citizen is not fine. Not born here, don't have English parents but being 'raised' here for some period of time is also fine. Don't get it personally.

It's international football, country v country. No-one who isn't eligible should be anywhere near a national set up. Don't mind the got a passport get a cap rules so much but I'd tighten the residency rules - makes a mockery unless you first moved over to wherever for non-footballing reasons.

E.g. Eduardo shouldn't play for Croatia but Shaqiri should play for Switzerland.

I agree.

:lol:

You don't see what nationality has to do with a job with a national football team?

Yeah I agree. Wish England had snapped up Messi before the Argentinians.

That works well in every way. England invariably hire foreign managers who come with a good reputation then become Alan Pardew once they've got the job over here. Yet even the shittiest banana republic side become giant killers under some past it big name foreign manager elsewhere.

:lol: I'm not really very upset, I'm OK I think but the ramblings of an absolute gobshite do occasionally get tedious.  There doesn't ever appear to be a football topic that you're not an expert in.  To put it another way, are there any football sides or leagues you feel your knowledge is weak with?  How/where do you gather your wisdom?

And where are your posts pre-World Cup saying that the philosophies of the Costa Rican side ingrained over a number of years might be our undoing?

You say there's never a footballing subject I'm not an expert on but I've never given an opinion on Jack Colback's ability or the majority of Ligue 1 players we are linked to until I've seen them play for us or someone else.  Outside of the CL teams I never talk about Bundesliga teams or players.

Just because you didn't care to do any research on England's opposition doesn't mean I can't. I've never once spoken about Costa Rica's quality - I know a handful of their players, I've known for a good wile they play a back 5. I've known about the general make-up of the side and manager. I could tell you about the USA side or the Ivorian side. You might not care to find out anything about these things but I do. It's the World Cup ffs.  There's a billion previews for anyone that cares. 

When it comes right down to it, international football is kind of an outdated and unprogressive concept.

World Cup aside it's shite.

The euros are good too usually to be fair. That might change now though with the expansion to 24 teams

I agree.

:lol:

You don't see what nationality has to do with a job with a national football team?

Yeah I agree. Wish England had snapped up Messi before the Argentinians.

You can be stupid if you want too.

Again:

Where are your posts pre-World Cup saying that the philosophies of the Costa Rican side ingrained over a number of years might be our undoing?

It's just the way you said it and all the exhaustive research you've done before the World Cup, well personally if I was in your shoes I might've mentioned it.

I agree.

It's international football, country v country. No-one who isn't eligible should be anywhere near a national set up. Don't mind the got a passport get a cap rules so much but I'd tighten the residency rules - makes a mockery unless you first moved over to wherever for non-footballing reasons.

E.g. Eduardo shouldn't play for Croatia but Shaqiri should play for Switzerland.

Disagree.  If you're a citizen of a country, why shouldn't you be able to represent them for a sport? Eduardo's more a Croatian than Hargreaves was an Englishman.