The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Howaythetoon

England were knocked out because tactically they weren't very good and the team selection wasn't that great either. That and several players are not up to this level and in Italy and Urugauy we were beaten by two better teams. That's why we are out. Nothing to do with the press, over expectations of the fans or the players not singing the national anthem loudly enough or whatever,

On a broader scale the reason why we struggle at this level is because of the way we are taught and play the game as kids.

Should we really be surprised England failed to qualify with Jagielka, Baines and Johnson at the back? Spain won the thing and turned shite simply by getting older and losing a few yards of pace. Our back four - other than Cahill they're at the wrong side of 28 and were average when they were at their peak.

Hart - Lost his place at his club side partway through last season due to bad form

Johnson - Generally accepted not to be good enough in previous competitions. Now older.

Jagielka - Not good enough to make the team in previous competitions. Now older

Cahill -  Young, decent. Could cement his place by simply not being awful and lack of alternatives.

Baines - See Jagielka

Gerrard - Respectable performances in previous competitions but changed to a role not suited to him to accommodate him being slower. Did nothing at Liverpool to suggest he could protect their defence.

Henderson -  Young, decent, but less likely than Cahill to keep place in team due to more competition in his position.

Wellbeck - Generally accepted not good enough, but at least he has youth and fitness on his side

Sturridge -  Young and arguably World Class

Sterling - Young and potentially World Class/potentially Aaron Lennon

Rooney - Disappointing in previous competitions, played out of position to keep him in the team

100% with you . Cracking post.

Of course, failing to advance from the Group Stages is bitterly disappointing but we do have a few positives to take away - namely our up and coming players/youth in Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley etc. Pretty happy with this new generation of players and they have shown glimpses of quality when called upon.

Defensively though, we are showing very worrying signs, we have decent players who start week in, week out for PL teams yet we struggled to do the basics right. For starters, full backs who can actually defend properly would help (though tbh I was surprised by Baines' below par performances).

Against Costa Rica, I hope to see the "future" given starts, just to see how they do. Gerrard can fuck off completely, I hope I never see him in an England shirt again, if he has any sense of pride, he'd retire from international football after this World Cup.

The Diego Costa episode is the epitome of how wrong the rule is. As someone said earlier we could've gone down that road with Arteta or Jose Enrique, and like him, I'm so glad we haven't.

Germany are another country who take the piss in this respect.

With whom out of interest?

The Diego Costa episode is the epitome of how wrong the rule is. As someone said earlier we could've gone down that road with Arteta or Jose Enrique, and like him, I'm so glad we haven't.

Can't wait for his reply on that one. I would think all of the German squad apart from Klose and Podolski who moved at a young age were born and grew up in Germany

Germany are another country who take the p*ss in this respect.

Can't wait for his reply on that one. I would think all of the German squad apart from Klose and Podolski who moved at a young age were born and grew up in Germany

They were, Ozil for example who a lot of people say "he's Turkish hehe" was actually born in Gelsenkirchen.

They were, Ozil for example who a lot of people say "he's Turkish hehe" was actually born in Gelsenkirchen.

I was thinking more Cacau to be honest.

^^^^^^^^ there you go. Hope that satisfies you. Witness and take on board.

Numbnuts.

:thup:

Numbnuts.

So one player then is taking the piss?

That's fair enough, i agree with you on the rules in general btw. For me once you play for a country you should be locked into that country whether its a competitive game or not.

That Costa stuff was especially BS, how you can play for one country and then another just because it wasn't a competitive game is just wrong.

Having said that though i don't think the Germans take the piss anymore than anyone else.

That's fair enough, i agree with you on the rules in general btw. For me once you play for a country you should be locked into that country whether its a competitive game or not.

That Costa stuff was especially BS, how you can play for one country and then another just because it wasn't a competitive game is just wrong.

Having said that though i don't think the Germans take the p*ss anymore than anyone else.

Yep. No worse than what Spain did with Marcos Senna in 2008.

Numbnuts.

Yup. Shouldn't be allowed. Incidentally where are you from triggs?

Numbnuts.

Maybe it shouldn't be allowed but why are Germany taking the piss when other countries exploit it a lot more than Germany? And I'm Irish by the way

Oh, Triggs. That was reference to you being represented by England's B Team.

Ireland's first team:

David Forde (Irish)

Seamus Coleman (Irish)

John O Shea (Irish)

Richard Dunne (Irish)

Marc Wilson (Irish)

James McCarthy (Scottish)

Glenn Whelan (Irish)

Wes Hoolahan (Irish)

Aiden McGeady (Scottish)

James McClean (Irish)

Shane Long (Irish)

Aye England's B team alright

He was probably referring to the last time you were any good

Its irrelevant anyway because incognito was talking about countries taking the piss with residency laws and Ireland have never got a player due to residency laws

Numbnuts.

Maybe it shouldn't be allowed but why are Germany taking the piss when other countries exploit it a lot more than Germany? And I'm Irish by the way

Ah I see why you are defending the eligibility issue now,  seeing as your country benefitted from picking one or two in its late 80s through to mid 90s heyday.