The England Thread

Pilko

Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France - none of these countries would entertain the idea of a foreign coach, and none have had one for a very long time. I don't think England should be any different in that approach personally, given our resources and the strength of our domestic competition. Doing otherwise is a tacit acceptance that our coaching isn't good enough, not something I'd want to be doing ideally.

But...the strength of your domestic competition is built almost entirely by foreign players and managers, isn't it? Rooney is probably still the best English player and everyone just spent a week calling him an overrated asshole.

I hate to say it but I think Redknapp would have got more out of this crop of players than Hodgson has. It would have been a lot more odious but Harry had Spurs playing some decent attacking football at times

English managers are either gobby chancers or dull as dishwater.  The likes of Big Sam, Harry and Pardew would be conning old ladies out their life savings if they didn't have a career in football

Who are best English club managers atm? Hughes, Pulis and Bruce?

Speaks volumes that.

It does. I think too many English players at top level retire and live it up. Booze, the golf course, the Caribbean, wherever.  Can't blame them too much for that. At the same time I think club's attach too much significance to playing careers in making managerial appointments.

Honestly, if it had to be an English coach I'd give it to Hoddle.

Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France - none of these countries would entertain the idea of a foreign coach, and none have had one for a very long time. I don't think England should be any different in that approach personally, given our resources and the strength of our domestic competition. Doing otherwise is a tacit acceptance that our coaching isn't good enough, not something I'd want to be doing ideally.

But that's because those countries you've listed have had relative success. England haven't in God knows how long. Your coaching isn't good enough, that should be obvious. The system needs fresh ideas, it needs continental ideas. The Premier League is strong yet it is dominated by foreign managers because they're better than English managers. It should be no surprise then that an international coach would be better for the National team setup, because the local coaches aren't good enough.

A German is coaching the American National team. If a German can coach the American one then I don't see why they can't coach the English one because the local coaches aren't good enough for either countries.

Yes, international competitions are about national pride and identity but is there much pride is doing it your own way and not achieving any success?

:lol:

Well, who are the best three English managers?  Are any of the them currently working in the Premier League? Or any top league?  If the answers make you wince, it's time to swallow your pride and hire a German or Scotsman.

For similar reasons to why the nationality of the players do. Arseholes like Shola Ameobi and Diego Costa muddying the waters not withstanding.

Shola Ameobi is hardly is hardly comparable to Diego Costa for goodness sake.

I still think that the best English manager is Steve McLaren, tbh. :lol: It's a shame about 2008, though.

:lol:

Well, who are the best three English managers?  Are any of the them currently working in the Premier League? Or any top league?  If the answers make you wince, it's time to swallow your pride and hire a German or Scotsman.

Next season the English managers in the Premier League will be Pardew, Bruce, Redknapp, Dyche, Pearson, Alladyce and Gary Monk. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence. :lol:

I would say the best 3 would be: Dyche, Redknapp and Bruce.

It may be more difficult for ex-English players to break through in management. I don't buy this idea that they are all thick, 80s style long ball merchants, particularly those that played under some of the best managers in the world. Deschamps didn't spend 5 years managing lower league sides and "learning his trade." Monaco, Juventus, Marseille. Difficult to imagine an ex-England player getting a chance in the top division like that.

Has anybody read Glenn Hoddle's World Cup book? He really knew what he was doing, Eileen Drewery and his thoughts on the disabled aside. We'd have troubled most teams if we'd got past those pesky Argies

It may be more difficult for ex-English players to break through in management. I don't buy this idea that they are all thick, 80s style long ball merchants, particularly those that played under some of the best managers in the world. Deschamps didn't spend 5 years managing lower league sides and "learning his trade." Monaco, Juventus, Marseille. Difficult to imagine an ex-England player getting a chance in the top division like that.

Shearer?

The job of national manager rarely goes to some big name in Country X that has taken the league by storm. Too much studying of league records as usual.

Klinsmann had no managerial experience whatsoever, Low had a bit but not high level success. The difference between league management and national is so vast that it's hardly the same job.

To be honest, if Gary Neville said he wanted the job, I'd go for it. Sink or swim.

But your coaching isn't good enough. That should be clear by now.