The England Thread

Pilko

Always think Barkley looks really exciting for England. Having a poor season at Everton, but he's only 21. Got huge potential

He's so fucking talented, just his final ball and decision making are nowhere near good enough currently and that's the side of him we've seen mainly this season. I really hope that's just down to a lack of experience though and he'll use his struggles domestically as a positive. Tbf whenever I've seen him interviewed he actually seems like he's got his head screwed on and is pretty mature for his age.

http://i.imgur.com/MPfhaci.png

merkd

Never did I expect to agree with Merson on footballing matters, but there you go. Someone send Townsend a reminder of his standard outside of that effort.

England looked very good in the second half. We would never play like that in a competitive match against a top side though. in fact, the first half performance is what you would expect from us.

You have to take the positives though. Barklay looked very lively when he came on. Carrick added some real composure to midfield. Townsend I think will be a good option for England for the next few years.

Jones is a reckless player.

England looked very good in the second half. We would never play like that in a competitive match against a top side though. in fact, the first half performance is what you would expect from us.

You have to take the positives though. Barklay looked very lively when he came on. Carrick added some real composure to midfield. Townsend I think will be a good option for England for the next few years.

Jones is a reckless player.

Stop saying Barklay.

I can forgive Roy playing Jones in midfield and Theo up front/#10 as that's what friendlies are for after all. However if he ever does either of those things again then god help him.

Carrick made everything work and should really be the first name in that midfield, whereas you don't really need both Delph and Hendo against a team like Italy who are always so defensive. Saying that, we have decent options when you think Wilshere, Milner, Ox, Lallana are all out injured.

Dunno, I'd be amazed if anyone in world football would reckon Walcott at #10 and Jones in midfield could work.  Stinks of shoehorning players into positons to accommodate deficiencies.  Means he didn't pick a balanced squad nor trust other players, such as Mason.

You need to see these things to confirm them though, I'd have said the same about Sterling as a #10 when he first came onto the scene for Liverpool. I just hope we never see them again.

Jones as a 'destroyer' could work, but only against a team that's going to dominate the ball, and not force him to cover out of position. Italy never did that and we ultimately needed a tempo setter like Carrick. 

You need to see these things to confirm them though, I'd have said the same about Sterling as a #10 when he first came onto the scene for Liverpool. I just hope we never see them again.

Jones as a 'destroyer' could work, but only against a team that's going to dominate the ball, and not force him to cover out of position. Italy never did that and we ultimately needed a tempo setter like Carrick.

Except Walcott has shown many times in his career that he doesn't have the skillset to perform that role, where as Sterling has shown certain abilities to be able to perform that role.