Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Guest Stephen927

Great business at the end of the day, like martins or not. shame it couldnt have happened after the club sale though. thats 9.5m that cashley is taking with him. f*** all will go to the club that is for sure.

:facepalm:

good luck to him. I'll always remember his thunderbolt v Spurs, overhead kick v Bolton and his celebration. Oba had a hell of a bigger impact than the majority of the players that come here and It's a shame things didn't go better.

Out:  Given, N'Zogbia, Owen, Viduka, Martins, Lovenkrands

Suitable replacements in:  None.

Love the club's direction.

Was always going to happen, major cut backs need to happen before we can begin to look forward. A few loans and frees at the end of the window is all I'm expecting.

Owen, Viduka and Martins have gone but Caroll and Ameobi is a championship frontline and most probably the best paid one in the league.

So no matter what anyone says about Oba he essentially got us back the money we spent on him despite the club being relegated.

Wonder how many others will be able to do the same when all is said and done ...

Jonas and Bassong. Can't think of anyone elsee.

Jonas? Never. Absolut useless he was...

I'm not going to bother arguing since it just doesn't seem important to discuss any of these players anymore, though needless to say I disagree.  Anyway to the point, we only paid 5m for him so I think we'll easily get our money back and really we should get more.  No matter what you think of him he's a current Argentine international midfielder and 5m is nowt in todays market.

I don't care if the defenders are disabled, he can out run them all day but he will always be a shit finisher.

Doesn't matter how bad a finisher a player is (and lets be serious Oba isn't THAT bad) if he gets more chances he'll inevitably score more goals.

The goals don't get bigger in the Championship, or the Bundesliga, no matter where he plays he will still be dozy. £9.5m is great business.

Pretty much it. If he was a genuinely good finisher, then he'd have pissed this league and scored 30+ goals. For me, Martins will be a 10-12 goal a season striker at best due to his lack of composure.

He'd have gotten loads more chances which means more goals even for a poor finisher, ask Ade Akinbiyi :)

Not bothered though, there are much cheaper players we could get on a quarter of his wages, or less, who could score as many in the Championship.  So I agree its a good deal.

Guest BigTrev

i have always said instincif finishers when he had no time to think he would put them away but give him a pen or a 1on1 and he would bottle it

I wonder who'll get the goals next week against WBA? £9m quid is fine but until it's on the pitch we won't see any benefit.

Doesn't work like that. West Ham lost Defoe, Kanoute, Di Canio, etc. when they went down, yet it was people like Harewood & Zamora that got them back up.

Unless the club gets sold we won't be buying any Harewoods or Zamoras though. It'll be Shola and Carroll next week, we'll just have to hope it's not too late by the time Ashley eventually moves out, if he ever does.

i have always said instincif finishers when he had no time to think he would put them away but give him a pen or a 1on1 and he would bottle it

agree with that, perfect example would be Arsenal at home last season.

Spineless thick as f***ing pig s*** arsehole.

Ashley done f***ing marvellous to screw himself £9.5m for that useless t***. Probably worth £14m to the Club with wages saved etc.

Yep. Fair play to Ashley on this one.

Say what you like about Martins though but he'll be playing CL football next season.

I dont know why people are upset, we couldn;t afford to keep him  :lol:

Good deal tbh

Wrecks our fifa teams now :( Used to be able to run the length of the pitch with him and smash it in the top corner.