Man City

Guest BooBoo

I thought it was shocking how mucht ime was added on but nevertheless Citeh should have dealt with it.

I normally quite like seeing the underdogs win in a local debry but for me I think this one ended how I wanted it to.

Agree about the timekeeping.

I referee in Texas both Highschool games and local youth leagues.  In youth leagues the referee always keeps time, and adds whatever is appropriate.  It's also the norm to let an attack finish (within reason).

When I do highschool games, some use the stadium scoreboard to show time (and we signal start/stop to the timekeeper, as well as keep time on our own watches). In which case, when time it up, time is up. And you have the buzzer going for the end of the game right as an attack is going on or even as a shot is made. Makes for some fun moments at the buzzer.

The funny thing is that coaches/players etc accept the official time on the scoreboard and the ending of the game to the second if it's on the board. But give you grief if it's kept by the referee.

As much as I like the official time being kept on the stadium scoreboard (under the direction of the referee), there is something exciting about not knowing exactly how much time it left.  Can you hang in there to keep the win?  Can you get one more attack? It's more fun that teams knowing exactly how much time is left and running the clock out at the corner flag etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toonlass

Agree about the timekeeping.

I referee in Texas both Highschool games and local youth leagues.  In youth leagues the referee always keeps time, and adds whatever is appropriate.  It's also the norm to let an attack finish (within reason).

When I do highschool games, some use the stadium scoreboard to show time (and we signal start/stop to the timekeeper, as well as keep time on our own watches). In which case, when time it up, time is up. And you have the buzzer going for the end of the game right as an attack is going on or even as a shot is made. Makes for some fun moments at the buzzer.

The funny thing is that coaches/players etc accept the official time on the scoreboard and the ending of the game to the second if it's on the board. But give you grief if it's kept by the referee.

As much as I like the official time being kept on the stadium scoreboard (under the direction of the referee), there is something exciting about not knowing exactly how much time it left.  Can you hang in there to keep the win?  Can you get one more attack? It's more fun that teams knowing exactly how much time is left and running the clock out at the corner flag etc.

We should have a loud claxon thing like in Rugby League controlled by someone up in the stands (someone official I mean, not some radgie who has had 12 pints and a Greggs pasty).

Firstly it means that the ref isn't controlling the time added on, and therefore managers can't go ballistic at the ref.

Secondly, and this is specific for Newcastle, it would wake up the snoozers in the East Stand at the end of the game (although we would have to have some ambulances on standby for the over 70's incase it causes heart attacks). Would liven things up no end, would be almost as good as the match to watch those in the East Stand spill their bovril over themselves when the claxon wakes them up.

"They got a massive profit for what they paid for me and they got 11-and-a-half years' service. "

He makes it sound like he was doing it for free :nope:  Remind us Shay, how much were you paid for those 11 and a half years of service?  £15m?, £20m?

And what was the total cost of Shearer's time here?

How about Owen, how much did he cost us again?

Shay Given saved more goals than these two scored.

Here's another quote from that article you might have missed

He was 34 games short of becoming the all-time leading appearance maker for Newcastle - a record that has stood for 87 years
:rolleyes:

At no point did I claim he didn't earn his money in his time here, well at least as much as any Footballer can earn his money.  By the way why you'd mention Shearer alongside Owen is quite beyond me.

"They got a massive profit for what they paid for me and they got 11-and-a-half years' service. "

He makes it sound like he was doing it for free :nope:  Remind us Shay, how much were you paid for those 11 and a half years of service?  £15m?, £20m?

And what was the total cost of Shearer's time here?

How about Owen, how much did he cost us again?

Shay Given saved more goals than these two scored.

Here's another quote from that article you might have missed

He was 34 games short of becoming the all-time leading appearance maker for Newcastle - a record that has stood for 87 years
:rolleyes:

At no point did I claim he didn't earn his money in his time here, well at least as much as any Footballer can earn his money.  By the way why you'd mention Shearer alongside Owen is quite beyond me.

Shearer and Owen both took £40 million+ from this club.

Both left without a penny being earned in return.

Shay looks great value for money in comparison to the hero/leech*

*delete as applicable

Guest Phil K

I don't blame Given at all. What I do blame him for is trying to pass himself off as NOT doing it for himself. Of course he did.

He's better than some, however.

Bellamy - funny how this character never seems to stay at any club for too long, isn't it ? Shows how unpopular a character he is.

Man City fans I do NOT begrudge success. Good, loyal fans. Very similar to us

Odd how they try every f******* way to deny us the same respect though.

I don't blame Given at all. What I do blame him for is trying to pass himself off as NOT doing it for himself. Of course he did.

Bellamy - funny how this character never seems to stay at any club for too long, isn't it ? Shows how unpopular a character he is.

Norwich to Coventry - Step up in level

Coventry to Newcastle - Step up in level

Newcastle to Celtic - Bust-up

Newcastle to Blackburn - Same as above

Blackburn to Liverpool - Step up in level

Liverpool to West Ham - Not good enough, regular first-team football

West Ham to Man City - Step up in level

Apart from the Souness bust-up, all his other moves have been for the best for his career.

City aren't even selling out now are they?

Bellamy's their best player. Class act, just a bit unstable. Been brilliant this season, better for them than Robinho was last year or Tevez has been this.

Norwich to Coventry - Step up in level

Coventry to Newcastle - Step up in level

Newcastle to Celtic - Bust-up

Newcastle to Blackburn - Same as above

Blackburn to Liverpool - Step up in level

Liverpool to West Ham - Not good enough, regular first-team football

West Ham to Man City - Step up in level

Apart from the Souness bust-up, all his other moves have been for the best for his career.

:thup:

Agreed NUT.

He's very much a "our cunt" type of player. When he plays for your team you'll love him. He was easily the best player at the club that season he eventually got shipped off to Celtic. Can never doubt his effort out on the pitch.

The NUFC team of 01-04 really was perfect for him. There isn't really a team like that these days, he's stuck in between not good enough for the "top four" and above playing for the rest. Or maybe Man City is just what he needs.

I'd rather have him than Anelka and Kalou, any of Man U's strikers bar Rooney, any of Arsenal's bar Robin VP and all but Torres at Liverpool

easily good enough for the top 4, he got us there twice and will help Man City achieve the same come May

I'd rather have him than Anelka and Kalou, any of Man U's strikers bar Rooney, any of Arsenal's bar Robin VP and all but Torres at Liverpool

easily good enough for the top 4, he got us there twice and will help Man City achieve the same come May

Only his attitude which prevented it, tbh. If he'd have kept his mouth shut THAT season, he'd have got a move in the summer to a top club instead of getting hounded off to Celtic.

Actually... true, good point and agreed. Probably just more of a case that they won't to touch him with a barge pole.

I'd love him at Arsenal. If he wasn't such a *every expletive under the sun*

You'd soon get over that.

Really kind of miss him thinking about it. Loved how in early 01-02 season he would often just pick the ball up before the midway line and just start running past everyone like a mental case with a ball. His finishing was poor at first but just got better and better.

Really kind of miss him thinking about it. Loved how in early 01-02 season he would often just pick the ball up before the midway line and just start running past everyone like a mental case with a ball. His finishing was poor at first but just got better and better.

Like I said in another thread, he's one of a few players who's noticeably improved every season.

Guest toonlass

:snod: